HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Engine bay came up great. Will be good to see the rest of the car done too.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers mate, I was deadset blown away, so was my mate who sprayed it.

All set to spray it this weekend. Didn’t get the cowl mounted, only had a few hours on it but managed to get the bonnet sanded back and the majority of the rust spots removed.

will be pulling the front and rear windscreens out and taking the boot lid off Friday night and getting started on rubbing the body back and masking.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Perfect weather for painting…18 degrees and rain for the next 4 days  :-(

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Perfect weather for painting…18 degrees and rain for the next 4 days

Bummer :-(

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Still gonna get it done. It’s the only time my mate is free for three days in a row to get stuck into it. Got some heat lamps to put up and full body suits and masks, as well as plenty of beer  :good:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Beer fixes everyhting….

Heron SSV
    Participant

Got the front a rear windows out without breaking them so that’s a win right there haha. Did some masking last night, the paint shop closed early yesterday so hopefully they’re open today otherwise my plans might turn to crap

Profile photo of KNG VK
    KNG VK
    Participant

Awsome build mate, I’ve got a VK  rep  with a big cammed l98 and th400, I’m from Newcastle as well, be good to catch up when yours is up and running

Heron SSV
    Participant

Awsome build mate, I’ve got a VK rep with a big cammed l98 and th400, I’m from Newcastle as well, be good to catch up when yours is up and running

Cheers mate. Throw up a thread with yours, it’d be good to have a look at what you’ve done

Heron SSV
    Participant

Had a big couple of days. Spent Friday night and all day Saturday masking and sanding, got to spray today finally. Got 3 full coats done (except bonnet, boot and front guards) plus a fourth coat over the doors to cover the silver. Came out great, a couple of small runs and a little bit of peel which was expected. Going to let it sit for two or three weeks, wet sand it so it’s nice and smooth, and hit it with a couple more coats. Once that cures, more wet sanding to get it silky smooth and buff and polish. In between will be the front end, getting the bonnet finished with the cowl and painting the bonnet, guards and boot. Pics will be put up soon, currently resting the legs and having a few cans

Heron SSV
    Participant

Photo time:

Paint finally on:

Yellow glow from the spotlights

Today after it dried overnight:

Overall I’m happy with how it turned out considering it was a home job in the garage and it was only about 18-19 degrees while spraying. There is a bit of peel over the whole car which should be easily smoothed out with some wet & dry before the next couple of coats to get it mickey mouse.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Decent job considering it’s been in garage with very cold weather.

Might only need rub back & buff on doors?

Neighbours would call the cops if I tried that lol

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Def needs a good wet rub and smooth it out, should come up sweet. Look forward to the after pics.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking good mate. Bet your glad you went with the paint decision.  :nice:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads. Turned out better than I thought, there were a couple of runs after the first coat and my mate who was spraying was spewing, but each coat after the first went on better and better and the runs blended it, once it was done it looked great. A bit of time with some wet & dry and it should flatten out nicely. Got heaps of paint left and my mate wants to give it a couple more coats to get it built up so there’s plenty of thickness to sand and buff without worrying about going through.

Nice budget job, only cost me $500 so far!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

$20 paint. $480 beer  :yes:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Hahahahaha beer is an investment in holding onto your sanity when working on a car

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks good mate, glad you had a crack. As you say spend the time rubbing it back between coats and at the end it will come up nice. Do you have a da ?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Looks good mate, glad you had a crack. As you say spend the time rubbing it back between coats and at the end it will come up nice. Do you have a da ?

Do I have a what?

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Dual action polisher will bring up the final finish much better. Wont add swirls and much less change of burning the paint or going through an edge. You can go through all the different cutting grades at the end after you rubbed it back will bring up the paint like glass

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.