HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Hi all,

Thought I’d throw up a thread of my build now I’ve finally got some coin to spend.

Model: VK Commodore SL

Engine: None

Trans: None

Diff: Salisbury 3.08 (possibly 3.55, gotta check it out)

I’ve got a thread up on JC but thought Id throw one up here as well. Its a roller so no motor or box, half way through changing the interior from brown to cerulean.  Was going to do a Group A replica but my budget will allow for either paint etc. for the replica look and a stock driveline or LS swap with big power and leave paint as is. I’ve decided on the latter as you cant power skid a paint job  :good:

Here’s a couple of pics:

So far I’ve removed the front guards, front and rear bumper, dash, front section of the carpet, external chrome door trims, and started stripping out a heap of wiring. The fuse rail is buggered so I’ll be relocating it to either the glove box or passenger foot well.

I have a budget of $20k for the build, and am open to suggestions on how to get things moving and using the money wisely. I’d love to put in an LSA but I’m not sure $20k would get it close enough to the road. It’s a street car primarily which will have the occasional run down the strip and Powercruise session so I’m not looking at tubs or a four link etc. but an LSA is probably wishful thinking.

Next idea is an L98 or LS3, TH400, hopefully do some work to the diff or get a BW. Motor will stay stock bar a tune and exhaust for engineering, then throw a decent sized cam in it.

Interior is half sorted, got everything to change it to cerulean apart from seats, roof trim and carpet.

Not looking forward to the wiring though.

Probably get a set of chasers with decent tyres for the time being, my main focus is getting it on the road, then I can start on the visual side of things.

Please feel free to provide suggestions to help with the build, all comments are welcome  :good:

• This topic was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    • This topic was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I suppose it comes down to how much you can do yourself and if you want it engineered or not budget wise. And you can always paint it later on anyway.  Interesting is has a vh bonnet mould on a vk not seen that before.

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m willing to have a crack myself to save some coin, a good mate has done a heap of rebuilds over the years and is pretty cluey. Definitely want it engineered and fully legal, so that’ll eat into the budget as well.

It’s got a VH bonnet on it, one of the previous owners got a bit creative and tried to modify the original bonnet and it ended up looking like a dogs breakfast and was full of bog, so the guy i brought it off chucked on a spare VH bonnet he had lying around.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You will be pushing the $20k budget with the LSA imo

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice build, personally I reckon an LS3 is pretty good bang for the buck, and would be a much cheaper and easier swap.  That’s going to give you 420+hp straight outta the box which will get a little car like yours boogieing.  And not hard to crank that up once you feel the need.  Btw say g’day to the crew over at JC, I haven’t been on there for a long long time, and welcome to the forum!

Heron SSV
    Participant

You will be pushing the $20k budget with the LSA imo

I was hoping you’d chime in. What else is needed with the LSA swap? obviously I’ll need motor and box, but what doesnt come with the crate motors, stuff like alternator, any pulleys, W2A intercooler setup, harness etc.

I read your thread and can see you’re doing a fair bit of work (tubs, ice box etc.), how close do you think I’d get with a fairly standard LSA swap without chasing massive power (for now) out of the $20k?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Nice build, personally I reckon an LS3 is pretty good bang for the buck, and would be a much cheaper and easier swap. That’s going to give you 420+hp straight outta the box which will get a little car like yours boogieing. And not hard to crank that up once you feel the need. Btw say g’day to the crew over at JC, I haven’t been on there for a long long time, and welcome to the forum!

Cheers Gary. Definitely not discounting the LS3, my budget for the build has come up all of a sudden (my wife said I could get a loan jokingly cause she thought I wouldnt be able to. Nekminit, 20k is on the way hahaha) and I’ve got a million questions to try and plan it out properly so I don’t waste cash in the wrong area.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks like you picked a good wife!!  Are you engineering it?  If not that will make a big difference to cost.  Also looks like you are doing most of the work yourself?  I reckon you would go close for $20k with the LSA if you didn’t go crazy on other stuff and did most of the spanner work yourself.  Have you seen the write up I did a while back, its more VR/S but its at least a bit of a starting point of what you will need. http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/vrvs-ls-engine-conversion-general-information/

Heron SSV
    Participant

Looks like you picked a good wife!! Are you engineering it? If not that will make a big difference to cost. Also looks like you are doing most of the work yourself? I reckon you would go close for $20k with the LSA if you didn’t go crazy on other stuff and did most of the spanner work yourself. Have you seen the write up I did a while back, its more VR/S but its at least a bit of a starting point of what you will need. http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/vrvs-ls-engine-conversion-general-information/

I’ll have a read through that when i get a chance. I’ve had the VK for nearly three years now and she always asks when I’m gonna work on it and my response is always “when I’ve got money”, so now I have no excuse, haha.

I’m really keen on the LSA as it has so much future potential. I’ve always wanted a car with stupid power, and a basically stock LSA (intake, exhaust and tune obviously) swap is very close to being viable. I’ve priced up a gearbox already, 1000hp rated TH400 from Paul Rogers, and the adding the crate motor will end up being around 15-16k. It’s all the little costs that add up on top, a CRS conversion kit is $2300 but I’ve read horror stories about the headers, then there’s wiring, fuel system, tailshaft, diff, brakes, engineering plus all the other stuff I’ve missed. I might go for a L98 or LS3 for now, and build up the rest of the car, then a future LSA swap might be easier as all the other gear will already be there, and I could recoup some cost from selling the old motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Best headers out of the box are the Pacemaker conversions, don’t touch CRS, I now have CRE which have a removable collector but they need quite a fit of fettling to get them to work and they sit low under the car.  If you are on a budget go the Pacemakers to start with imo.  I still made 508 rwhp with them so they work well but I did cut off the 2.5″ collector and go 3″, and also port matched them a little with a die grinder to match my heads.  Btw, LSA isn’t the only way to make stupid power….

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Basic run down

lsa $12k

Wiring + ecu $2500

brackets + tensioners. $800

altenbator + bracket $250

conversion kit $2300ish

water to air setup $1000-1500

fuel system $500-600

misc little odds and ends, belts etc $500

exhaust $1500

Flex plate $500

sump + dipstick and oil pickup $250ish

semi decent diff to handle 600hp

I’d allow 18-20k for the engine conversion to be safe

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks Cav, that’s exactly the info I was after. Adding the gearbox would bring it up another 4-5k. Might go with an LS3, not a bad motor to end up with haha.

Plus the engineering costs. Time to write a list and speak to the engineer and see what he’s got to say.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Oh I didn’t realise u need box and converter also. Allow 6-7k for that. Inc shifter etc

ls3 will be cheaper but not a hell of a lot. You won’t need stuff like water to air and he misc brackets etc but it will still get up there as you need most of the conversion gear etc too.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah I’m not expecting anything left out of 20k. Sticking to the entire driveline cause the body is in pretty good nick. Just trying to put together a comprehensive list so I can work out things I’ve missed. I think I’ll start listing everything but the motor to see what I’m left with to spend, might even have to go for an L98, the LS3s are still up there in price

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, you won’t see any change out of  $20k whatever way you go.  Only thing i would suggest, is if you are spending that sort of cash, do it once.  If LSA is your dream, wait and do that.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey heron sounds like it will be nice, you could do what lj has done I know it’s more money later but easier to engineer now , lj he went with l98 and whipple so you could do whipple later (and you may get that under the bonnet as lsa are about 45mm too high , I’m going down the lsa route in a vb-vh and have allowed 20k for the motor + th6060 gearbox thats including all what cara listed

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

Depending on how silly you want to go later on I’d be seriously looking at an LQ9 6L iron block or even just a 5.3, much stronger than any of the stock ls engines and pretty much everything is interchangeable between them, one of our customers had a 5.3 with a single turbo making 780rwhp with the wrong cam and compression ratio, due to a dodgy engine builder, he’s now getting a 6L built properly so it’ll be interesting to see what that makes

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Been looking online, theres an LS3 from a wreckers in VIC that comes with harness, computer, all bolt ons, has 39k on it, for just over 8k. Pros/cons between something like that compared to a crate motor? Would one way be potentially cheaper than the other?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

will be significantly cheaper. But it is a 2nd hand engine as apposed to new. 

However 39k is fuck all work. So long as it checks out I’d imagine it would be a goer.

Heron SSV
    Participant

will be significantly cheaper. But it is a 2nd hand engine as apposed to new. However 39k is fuck all work. So long as it checks out I’d imagine it would be a goer.

Thanks Cav. Would I be ahead cash wise seeing as it has all the bolt ons, harness and ecu?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.