HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Ah ok. A mate who’s helping me put the motor and box in and do the wiring has a detailing business and he’s looking after that part once I’ve done the prep work.

Definitely aiming for that glass like finish though  :good:

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Good to to see you are getting a fair amount of progress on the car. You asked me about what i did regarding air box on my thread I had regarding cam and tune on L98. I posted a couple of pics on there of what I did. Just a reminder in case you didnt see it.

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

Good job for the price. Bad paint is worse than bad bodywork! What paint type and brand did you use and what compressor? Looking at painting my VL myself too to keep costs down

Heron SSV
    Participant

Good to to see you are getting a fair amount of progress on the car. You asked me about what i did regarding air box on my thread I had regarding cam and tune on L98. I posted a couple of pics on there of what I did. Just a reminder in case you didnt see it.

Cheers mate. Seen the pics, only had a quick look the other day and forgot all about it. Did you fab it yourself? Looks pretty neat, I need to do something similar but on the opposite side to cover where the battery tray was. Been looking at the air boxes from Mace, they look like something that will work with what I want to do

Good job for the price. Bad paint is worse than bad bodywork! What paint type and brand did you use and what compressor? Looking at painting my VL myself too to keep costs down

I got the Paint from Colortec at Tuggerah. Its Unicolour 660 2k, plain old white. Compressor is a basic one from Bunnings my old man bought over 10 years ago. The guy who last owned the VK stripped it back and did a heap of bodywork on it before he painted it so I had a good base to start from. All the hard work is in the preparation, sanding, masking, and cleaning the surface before painting. If that is done properly, the paint will go on easier and you’ll get a better finish. Garage jobs will always end up with a bit of peel and dirt/bugs/dust etc in the paint, but doing a few extra coats will leave you with plenty of thickness to rub the imperfections out. The end result will be fine for me, white is a very forgiving colour and you’ll only notice the imperfections if you’re looking closely at it.

Heron SSV
    Participant

This weekends plan is to rub it back Friday and Saturday morning to get it flat and throw a couple more coats over the outside (door jams have 3 coats and will be fine the way they are). Then pull the masking off and see how it looks. it’ll sit for another three weeks to cure properly before it gets sanded again and start to get it smooth. In between will be prepping and painting the guards and boot lid, mounting the cowl and bog/sand/bog/sand/bog/sand/swear/cry/drink/sand/sand/paint the bonnet, paint rear bar and remove and re-mount the front bar Group A extension and paint that.

I’ll get around to the actual conversion at some point haha, as usual the small job of a quick engine bay tidy up has turned into a full respray. Fun times!

Found a guy in Syd that does repo decals in black as the original ones from HDT etc. are silver unless I get the Group 3 set which come in black. $350 for the kit

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Jason ackland from stick this decals does sticker kits. Very good quality

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Sprayed the car over the weekend with mixed results. Rubbed everything back on Friday night and all the orange peel smoothed of really well and without too much effort. There were a couple of runs from the other weekend and they flattened out perfectly. Cleaned it all down with wax and grease remover, same as the first time, sprayed the first coat on and the passenger doors and rear quarter ran like a mofo within 15-20 seconds of spraying. The roof and drivers side came out great, smoother than last time, and my mate who was spraying was spewing. Swore at it several times and let it sit before the next coat. The next coat went on fine, didn’t run at all. Ended up doing two coats all over, and another two on the doors and rear quarter. The additional coats blended the runs in pretty well, I think they can be rubbed out but my mate wants to rub them back and throw another coat or two over that side just to be sure.

Will let it sit for another two weeks and see how it goes when I start rubbing it back again. It’s got plenty of paint on it now, 8 fresh coats over 2 or 3 from the previous owner, and I reckon a bit of time spent with some fine sandpaper will get rid of the runs. Also looks like a little bit of over spray has come up from underneath the car and landed in the engine bay so there’ll be some more rubbing back in there.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Oh the joy of cars, sounds like you are on top of it though at least.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Spent the weekend sanding. And sanding. And more sanding. Got just under half the car done, started on the side with the runs so that was always going to take longer. Hit it with some 600 grit, then some 1500. Came up great, can’t see or even feel where the runs were, it’s silky smooth. Going to go over it with some 2000 to get it as smooth as possible before buffing.

Next weekend I’m taking the guards and boot lid to my mates work to paint. Also taking the k frame and tank to clean and paint black.

Getting there slowly. Also, sanding sucks balls.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Sounds good, pics?!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Sounds good, pics?!

I’ll stick some up when I sort out an alternative to Photobucket haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looks like Wraiths copy and paste method out of Facebook is pretty simple if you use Facebook of course!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Test run with FB pic:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey mate, see in the command bar above, the extreme right one is “insert/edit image”  click on that then paste the link you copied from Facebook into the “Source” bar on the panel that comes up, you don’t have to enter anything else, then click “OK” – Simples :)

edit – just added a quick how to in the Photobucket thread for you.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Great success! ok time for some pics:

So you can just see the runs on the passenger side in these pics, was a lot worse that you can see:

Roof and other parts turned out pretty good:

And here’s what I ended up with after two days sanding:

It’s smooth as running my hand over it, cant tell where the runs were.

Let me know if any of the pics dont work.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Woo Hoo, up yours Photobucket :good:    Good stuff mate, looking great!!

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

You weren’t kidding about the runs! Keen to see how it polishes up :good: I’ve been practicing my 2k prepping and painting on a couple of old doors here and fuck me is it a prick. I’m trying to get the confidence to spray my bars on my car but the cost of just practicing is starting to add up lol

Heron SSV
    Participant

You weren’t kidding about the runs! Keen to see how it polishes up I’ve been practicing my 2k prepping and painting on a couple of old doors here and fuck me is it a prick. I’m trying to get the confidence to spray my bars on my car but the cost of just practicing is starting to add up lol

Yep the pics make it hard to see all the runs, it was shocking in person. Surface prep is the key, and the temperature. My garage got to 19 degrees at most while painting, couldn’t get hold of some heat lamps in time which would of helped. All the imperfections will be sanded out, and it takes a lot of extra effort to do, but I’ve saved a shitload of cash doing it at home, $500 bucks for everything (paint, tape, plastic sheets, sandpaper etc.), and that includes doing the bay.

Practice makes perfect, try and get some cheap paint or some excess to use.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

but I’ve saved a shitload of cash doing it at home,.

And learnt heaps, and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

but I’ve saved a shitload of cash doing it at home,.

And learnt heaps, and have the satisfaction of doing yourself!

I love doing myself …. hahahaha

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.