HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 901 through 906 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Dash has arrived. Nice bit of kit. Car is booked in next week to get it installed.

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

Yeah, not sure why the Mako VK dash insert is twice the price of most of their other dashes  :wacko:

Heron SSV
    Participant

<p>

Yeah, not sure why the Mako VK dash insert is twice the price of most of their other dashes

</p><p>Yep, considering its really only the thin strip on the left hand side that makes it bigger than the VL dash. I’ll probably end up getting one down the track, I dont think there’s an alternative that looks as neat. For now I’ll mount the IC7 on the column in front of the standard dash.</p>

Heron SSV
    Participant

Dash is installed. Fits pretty good considering its just on the steering column. The GPS is a bit shitty, the speed jumps around a little, last drive it took a few minutes before it registered the speed. Might just be where the antenna is located. The workshop replaced the trans filter with the wrong type, they used a standard Ryco one which according to Paul Rogers who built the trans, restricts the fluid as its a paper style filter, so I have to get a wire mesh style filter and swap it out.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

nice work. Dont you have a gear drive on your box?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

nice work. Dont you have a gear drive on your box?

No, the box didn’t come with it. Looked into getting it setup for a cable drive but put it in the too hard basket a year or two ago and just went with a cheap GPS speedo. I’ve heard of some LS conversions running rough when coming to a stop and engines sometimes stalling with no speed sensor feeding into the ECU, but mine has run fine without any stalling issues.

Have noticed that it cuts out a bit going round a corner when the fuel is under a quarter tank so fuel sloshing around is staying away from the pump, there’s definitely the plastic bucket still in the tank, just need to keep plenty of fuel in it and its all good.

Dropped the pan yesterday to swap the trans filter to a brass mesh style one. Prick of a job to do in the garage on stands haha. The shop who did the dash and trans temp sensor didn’t put a connector on the sensor, it’s just hard wired all the way up to the dash so I couldn’t unplug it to take the pan off. Undoing the sensor from the pan just twists the wires and there isnt enough play to get it all the way out. Ended up dropping the pan with the sensor connected and balancing the pan on top of a small bucket. Put it all back together and it’s running properly as it was before.

There’s a knock coming from the front left suspension. Will probably get a shop to go over it and make sure nothing has worked its way loose, which is a possibility with my top notch automotive skills.

Viewing 6 posts - 901 through 906 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.