HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Needs more cruise pics…

Got another one coming up in a few weeks, I’ll try to get more then, plus some driving videos.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Went out for a quick drive the other weekend, just locally cause I hadnt driven it in a little bit and felt like a few laps. Was driving down the road a block from my house, heard and felt a clunk from the front left and the steering wheel went funky. Was only doing about 40 at the time, luckily. Pulled over and the front wheels were cross-eyed. Drove it back home and whacked it back in the garage, didnt get a look at it cause it was Sunday evening.

Anyhow, I got it up on stands yesterday and the passenger side ball joint has popped out of the lower control arm. From memory, it wasnt held in really tight when I put the front end together, so it the arm itself is probably a little flogged out, so I’ll be getting a new one. Will do the drivers side as well, cause it’d be my luck it will happen again. Luckily it happend locally and not on the freeway.

Also noticed some marks on the passenger brake disc. The wheel bearing has some play in it so I think it has rubbed on the disc, so I’ll get it skimmed at the local brake shop. Will also get the bearing looked at, I might not of tightened the nut enough, hopefully it isnt stuffed.

I’m thinking about changing wheels as well. Looking at some 17×4 chaser front runners and 15×8 rears, I like the tough pro-street look, but dont have a spare $5k for a set of Welds.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mine developed a bit of front end “funkiness” after maybe 500ks.  Turned out I got all the suspension parts powder coated and with use, the powder coating settled and the bolts went loose.  I think its part of builds like this to every now and then go and check everything is tight.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

High powercars do that, my Supra used to try to revert to kit form after a dyno session, one word… Loctite.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Swapped out the lower control arm and got a wheel alignment done. It had a little too much camber so rotated the strut tops and it’s as close as it can be without changing to adjustable strut tops. Also finally got the steering wheel straight, that’s been shitting me for ages haha

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Hi, I asked about fuel pump setups for early commodore other day. You replied you fitted VN tank with after market walbro pump that works well. Did the VN tank fit straight in? Did you modify the pump pick up area in the tank at all?

Dave

Heron SSV
    Participant

Hi Dave, the VN tank fits straight in, just need to cut about 50mm off the bottom of the filler neck so the top fits in properly. To fit the Walbro in the factory hanger I just had to cut the bottom round bracket off the hanger cause the head of the Walbro pump is bigger than the factory VN one, then used a hose clamp to attach the new pump. The whole lot sits in the standard swirl pot inside the tank.

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for that info. Think I will chase up a VN, VP tank and go that way as well.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Not much to report lately. Planning on going to Powercruise Sydney in a few months time, first event for me where I’ve entered a car. The VK is running well at the moment. Going to driop it off at the tuners for a once over in the next few weeks. Also looking into getting a Haltech iC-7 dash. I need to get some gauges to keep an eye on trans temp, oil pressure etc. and I think it’s gonna cost me a fair bit to get Autometer ones all wired up (around $500 at least just for the gauges, then sensors, getting them wired up etc.), so may as well spend a little more and get the iC-7 as it’ll be able to display most stuff I need from the ECU via OBD, and you can wire in up to 4 analogue inputs directly to the dash itself, so I can tap into the existing oil pressure sensor, and just get a trans temp sensor installed.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Awesome sounds like your having fun with it…… photo’s and video off power cruise if you can

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Not much to report lately. Planning on going to Powercruise Sydney in a few months time, first event for me where I’ve entered a car. The VK is running well at the moment. Going to driop it off at the tuners for a once over in the next few weeks. Also looking into getting a Haltech iC-7 dash. I need to get some gauges to keep an eye on trans temp, oil pressure etc. and I think it’s gonna cost me a fair bit to get Autometer ones all wired up (around $500 at least just for the gauges, then sensors, getting them wired up etc.), so may as well spend a little more and get the iC-7 as it’ll be able to display most stuff I need from the ECU via OBD, and you can wire in up to 4 analogue inputs directly to the dash itself, so I can tap into the existing oil pressure sensor, and just get a trans temp sensor installed.

This is exactly what I have done re: the IC-7. Its a nice bit of gear.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Needs more cruise pics…

Got another one coming up in a few weeks, I’ll try to get more then, plus some driving videos.

Still waiting :unsure:   :-P

Heron SSV
    Participant

Didnt end up going on that cruise, but here’s a couple of pics from a recent trip into Newcastle with the family:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Very nice indeed

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Looking great!!

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Looks good!

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers fellas.

Bought a new bonnet cable cause mine is buggered, need someone to push down on the front of the bonnet when I pull the handle to get it to open. Was thinking about a set of bonnet pins but dont was to go full racecar haha.

Also need to pull my finger out and paint the SL door moulds and front grill and whack them on.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I like the current grill, the door moulds will look good.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Not much happening of late with all the lockdown shenanigans. Went up to my local tyre shop a few weeks back and got some cheap second hand tyres on the 15×6 chasers  I had sitting in my garage. Got some 185 fronts and some little 205 50 15s on the rear. Steering is soooooo much easier with the skinny fronts. Rear has basically no grip at all, the tyres are tiny as, old and rock hard, anything over a quarter throttle and it spins in any gear. Feels like driving with 1000hp haha. I’m about 95% sure I’ll be getting new wheels, 17 fronts and 15 rear, looking at the Pro Drag copies from Purnell Tyres in QLD. Decent price and should be able to get some grippy rears. Lots of things on my wish list, but lockdown has my missus coming up with home reno ideas so thats where my cash is going. Should get me plenty of brownie points to get the wheels hopefully haha.

Heron SSV
    Participant

So instead of new wheels I’ve ordered a Haltech IC7 dash and GPS sensor. Gonna get a trans temp sensor and get it wired up next month. Wanted to get one of the Mako plastic printed dash setups but its like $600 for the VK version. Probably just stick with a basic mount in front of the stock cluster for now. Still gonna keep the monster taco cause it’s heaps wicked sick and gives me bulk street cred

Viewing 20 posts - 881 through 900 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.