HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Enjoying following this, make sure you post some pics of the bay before and after ect :good:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Enjoying following this, make sure you post some pics of the bay before and after ect

Indeed I will. Meant to be spraying it this Saturday but it’s meant to be pissing down. See how we go.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Progress:

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Morning shots in the light. Turned out better than I thought for a garage job. Feeling the urge to do the rest of the car now haha

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea top work mate, clean as :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

REALLY nice mate.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers fellas. Decided to paint the rest of the car, the bay just looks so fresh with the white and the bonnet would look a bit out of place with the new paint compared to the rest. All I’ve gotta get is more white and some clear, the body won’t need any repairs so all I have to really do is scuff it up, mask, and spray. Will need to pick up a group a rear spoiler at some point.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Came up real nice, what paint did you use? Does the battery tray just unbolt?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Came up real nice, what paint did you use? Does the battery tray just unbolt?

just used 2k white from my local paint supply shop. Got half a litre, done three coats, and have about half left.

battery tray has to be cut out. Mines a bit of a butchers job, but I’ll have an air box over the top of it, and the plan was just to change the colour of the bay to match the car. The tray is tacked on. I trimmed the overhang back and started bending the tray up and cutting the welds as I found them, bit by bit

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Cool, do you know what brand it is?

Heron SSV
    Participant

I got it from Colortec at Tuggerah on the Central Coast. I think the brand is Unicolour

Heron SSV
    Participant

Priced up the paint today, $236 for 4 litres of white and $54 per litre of hardener. A couple of questions for the knowledgeable folk on here:

• Paint shop said I wont need clear if I use a solid colour, only need clear if I use a base then clear over the top. True? Pros/cons for each type? Will one give a better finish than the other?
    • Spray with doors on or off? Same for the guards as they’re off at the moment (guards, not doors)
    • After painting, how long do I wait to sand/wash/buff/detail etc.
    • Rear wing: paint first then mount or mount and paint over it

Thanks lads.

Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

What the paint shop said is true, clear over base will give a slightly better finish if sprayed right but just straight colour still comes up good. Doors on or off doesn’t really matter that much, what ever suits you better. Can get a difference in the finish from the quarter panel to the doors if they are laid flat. After painting depends if the car gets baked or not, and something which would depend on what brand of paint you use. Usually fully cured after a couple of weeks but can be washed/ detailed in the next day.  Rear wing would probably be better painted off

Heron SSV
    Participant

What the paint shop said is true, clear over base will give a slightly better finish if sprayed right but just straight colour still comes up good. Doors on or off doesn’t really matter that much, what ever suits you better. Can get a difference in the finish from the quarter panel to the doors if they are laid flat. After painting depends if the car gets baked or not, and something which would depend on what brand of paint you use. Usually fully cured after a couple of weeks but can be washed/ detailed in the next day. Rear wing would probably be better painted off

Thanks mate. It’ll be sprayed in my garage, the bay was done there and it’s turned out pretty good. At the moment I’m thinking about going with the solid colour, the bay’s done in that and I’m happy with the finish, there’s bugger all peel in it as well.

will also need remove and re-glue the front bar group a extension as it’s coming apart.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Should I pop the front and rear windows out before paint? How hard are they to get out, and do I need to get a windscreen dude to put them back in? Or can I just pop the rubbers out from around the edge?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I would, since your going to the effort. If  it’s the factory window I think it’s easy to remove as they aren’t full sikaflexed in.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

100% take screens out you’ll kick yourself if you don’t…easy to tell on these when painted with screens.

I’d cut rubber along screen if they’re old & cruddy then pop screens out yourself.

They look better with newer style especially new rubber on fresh paint is nicer detail & you want to check channels underneath free of rust.

Get a windscreen guy to refit windscreens though to make sure properly sealed.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Be prepared being a vk what you might find pulling out the screens thou

Heron SSV
    Participant

Be prepared being a vk what you might find pulling out the screens thou

Hopefully it’ll be ok, the previous owner pulled the screens out and fixed up the channels before it was painted

Heron SSV
    Participant

Car will be painted over the long weekend next week. Going to try and get the cowl mounted this weekend, bogged and primed. Going to do inside the door jams, but not going to pull the doors off.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.