HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Another fun day, we have a lot on tomorrow so I am not sure I will get to do any more so thought I would post.  Have to its a very steep learning curve I am on!!  I was very happy how I got the hang of the chassis section, but the thin wall work is a whole new ballgame.

I wanted to play around with the headlight bucket support panel as you wont really get to see it when the nose is on, and it has some shape to it so i thought its a good place to start.  The first bit I did was someone in a previous time had quite literally taken to it with an axe.  So I cut out a piece of some 1mm sheet I have and made up a patch.  Went well I think with the welding, but I think I got way too cute with trying to smooth everything perfectly.  I also I reckon didn’t take enough time making sure it was exactly aligned.  Two valuable lesson learned.  I did get good penetration though, so when all the bracing is out of the cab i will smooth it a little.

There was then another horizontal “gash” so i cut that out, and got a chance to use my new panel clamps, I also took great care to get the patch exactly level with the bus panel, and also didn’t go too crazy with grinding it after.  Very happy with the result.

Next I am going to tackle making a large replacement section for the lower right bottom of the panel below the headlight bucket as its pretty much rusted out.  There’s also some rust holes here and there in other spots on the panel  that I will patch.  But at least I have saved the money on buying a whole new replacement panel and am learning all the time.

Some pics;

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And looks like I have just scored the correct drivers door and also an engine lid, as well as 3 of the 4 cargo door hinges I have been chasing, which are a bit like trying to find rocking horse poop to find :good:

Profile photo of OZ38
    OZ38
    Participant

Good progress.

Curious to the size of the two LED lights on the stand in your work area there ?

Thinking I might change mine over to LED’s as the floods I have burn the power when on.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well that’s a wrap for today.  Pretty much got everything done on the headlight bucket panel.  Been good learning on a part that wont be seen once the nose goes on.  Got to try out my sheet metal jenny to give the large repair section the right curve.  Then used a jigsaw and cut some timber to match the curve then used that to clamp the sheet whilst i dressed it over, turned out pretty good I think.

Also got to try my spot welder out, was a little apprehensive but seemed to work really well.  Man its heavy so i came up with a bit of an idea to use my engine crane and some occy straps to support it.  Haven’t ever spot welded before, I gave it a few seconds until the heat effected zone was about 10mm diameter.  If anyone has any other tips if that not right please feel free to let me know.

Also a lad up the road recommended one of these 50mm (2″) sanders.  man how good are they!!  So much better than a grinder, much more finesse and control.

So hopefully my inside cargo area parts will come along soon, as that’s the next big job.  Few pics for posterity;

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good progress. Curious to the size of the two LED lights on the stand in your work area there ? Thinking I might change mine over to LED’s as the floods I have burn the power when on.

Yea they are good, very bright but keep cool.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I have the same sander, also have a 38mm cup for it for hard to get to spots, awesome jigger!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^didn’t know you go smaller IJ, I know you can get 75mm.  Agree just cant believe how nice it is to use.  I just love having nice tools, like everyone no doubt, when i was younger and broke as, was always trying to do jobs with stuffed or work our pieces of poop.  Having the right gear makes it way more enjoyable.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Also have a tiny belt sander that’s good for tight corners, agree 100% the right tools make life so much easier, like you I worked with crap for years, still made some awesome things but it’s so much nicer/easier these days.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Good progress. Curious to the size of the two LED lights on the stand in your work area there ? Thinking I might change mine over to LED’s as the floods I have burn the power when on.

Yea they are good, very bright but keep cool.

yeah heaps better then the old Fluro. One downside. You can’t use them to heat something lol.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary Nice work if you get a chance buy a set of shrinker’s and stretchers , I think we all start out with no or old gear

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate, got a link to the shrinkers/stretchers you recomend?  Looks like its something else I have to try and learn, man its a steep learning curve!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is a test

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey Gary Nice work if you get a chance buy a set of shrinker’s and stretchers , I think we all start out with no or old gear

Omg, so many cool tools to own, only one lifetime…..

Sheet metal isn’t (wasn’t) my thing, I didn’t even know a tool like this existed!!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>That’s a nifty tool. So many times I’ve scratched my head trying to work out how to bend a 90 angle and then just given up lol</p>

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah I would say go look at my build as I did some on the vb but two words photo bucket,,,

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Photobucket, you mean Pussbucket, aresholes.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Yes Gary Just wasn’t sure how to put it in words that wouldn’t get me kicked off

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I guess that’s owners priveledge, no one’s kicking me off!  Mind you since we have been going we have never kicked anyone off  :good:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I guess that’s owners priveledge, no one’s kicking me off! Mind you since we have been going we have never kicked anyone off

Thats the best part about this forum, no dickheads starting arguments with people asking questions.

although there is this one guy that keeps going on and on about tapatalk…. lol

Viewing 20 posts - 141 through 160 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.