HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 421 through 438 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Amazing what a difference Glass makes to a build, had this discussion with the guys that fitted my new screens to the Tonner and the E36!!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Agree 100%.  My kids have both said “ah now we get it, cool”

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Do all the windows have to come out for paint again?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Do all the windows have to come out for paint again?

Yep they sure do, I plan on putting the bits and bobs for each in a zip lock bag and tape them to each window.

Also have found a bit of a VW engine/gearbox builder in Bordertown.  Had a long chat to him, I think we have a plan for the motor.  A nice 2210cc unit based around brand new crank case halves, and I am starting to think of EFI and throttle bodies.

sands vs
    Participant

That setup will be nice what efi and throttle body brand? Efi will be nice if you really plan to drive it as was the build brief

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

The Dub Shop do a fantastic full kit.  Not cheap but has great reviews, and is well proven.

http://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-fuel-injection-package-with-ignition-type-1/

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

The Dub Shop do a fantastic full kit. Not cheap but has great reviews, and is well proven. http://thedubshop.com/dual-throttle-body-fuel-injection-package-with-ignition-type-1/

For what’s included I reckon that’s cracker value.

sands vs
    Participant

looks like a nice kit

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sorry all been taking a bit of a break form working on cars.  But should be into again soon.  I like the ease of use in all conditions of injection.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi all, been busy on other projects for a while, but back onto the bus this weekend.  Now working through fully finishing the stuff ready to give it to Cooper for a bit of his fettling then hopefully paint.

Got the fuel filler cap in, the screws broke trying to get them out but ended up drilling them out and fitting M4 rivnuts which worked well.  Also fully finished the bulkhead, so no pin hoes at all in any welds and also welded smooth a few old screw holes etc it had collected over the years.  Now also have both front-wheel wells finished off, had a small rust repair to do in the side of the tray thingo between the front seats.  And also got the front valance fully welded in.  So a bit of progress.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s looking  awesome Gary ,are you rebuilding the original motor

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, thanks.  No there is a guy that apparently is a bit of a wizz.  Its going to be based on a brand new aftermarket crank case, and pretty much all of it will be modern tech.  I did consider building it but even though they are simple, there is apparently a bit of an art to building them well.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Sounds interesting will it look like a Kombi motor

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea totally VW look, its just rather than use 1960’s parts they are new.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Been super busy on the cars lately, so havent been on here for a while.  Time for some updates.

With the Kombi, after I think about 2,000 hours of cutting, welding, grinding and repeat it has gone off to the painters last Saturday.  We looked for ages, and a guy is setting up not that far form me, and comes highly recomended.  He has estimated about 300 hours of body and paint, so should be back in say 8 weeks give or take.  Cant wait.

So given it off for paint, I have been busy organisng the next stuff.  So there is a guy in the US at Type E Motorsports who is considered the best suspension guy for VW.  He basically has redesigned all the tow, camber etc etc to make whats considered the Rolls Royce of front susension.  He now also has done the same for a fully independant rear suspenion.  So I have ordered a full disc to disc front and rear suspenion from him.  I have also bought the Fuchs replica wheels and had them shipped across to him so all of it is designed to work perfectly togther.  That’s underway so should be here by the time its painted.

We have started laying out the seating, so have ordered a modern 2 person bench seat (pic shows the 3 seater) that will be rear facing, and incorporates seat belts etc and is ADR compliant.  We also have ordered a “rock n roll” rear seat that flips and tilts to become the bed.  Thats also ADR compliant.  All of it will be re trimmed to be all matching.

And we also recieved our beautiful banjo style period steering wheel.

And a very trick custom GPS speedo with intergrated fuel gauge made retro, same designed and used on the Kindig Customs Kombi.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Dam Gary that’s some update if don’t min me asking what is your paint job worth

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, mate.  A lot, because it’s way more than just paint.  $26k.  Which given the quotes I got I thought was fair.  Went to see it today, they have already made great progress :)

sands vs
    Participant

Any updates?

Viewing 18 posts - 421 through 438 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.