HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Need to get me one of these

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

best thing ever…

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Supercheap have one for 38 bucks. I do believe I’ll have to swing by on the weekend

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Does yours have adjustable speed Gary?

Great feature for close in work that just needs a tickle..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea IJ mine is variable, but tbh I haven’t played with that much yet.  Its a Shinano SI2201, and was $180.  A long time ago I decided not to bother with really cheap air tools, I had no luck at all with them, they seemed to crap out all the time with heavy use.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I guess that’s owners priveledge, no one’s kicking me off! Mind you since we have been going we have never kicked anyone off

Thats the best part about this forum, no dickheads starting arguments with people asking questions. although there is this one guy that keeps going on and on about tapatalk…. lol

LOL,  gold!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^missed that one, yea I reckon he has shares in tapatalk and also white paint ;-)

It is a good thing about this forum, people don’t seem to arc up at all, not the largest forum going but def has got a nice feel about it (imo of course!!)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If gary taught me how to ban. You would all be on a fucking holiday. Down in Zimbabwe were you don’t have tapatalk.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^lol, love it Cav.  Funny when we were starting this forum we had heaps of volunteers for moderators, the reality is we have never needed any.  Nazi mods were what drove me off the other forum.  Now I am doing the Kombi I am on a couple of other VW forums, it does seem like most forums are dying off, I think its really the hard core that are remaining.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got a little bit more done.  So apparently my year bus would have had the cargo door hinge pins that are domed on top.  I know a lot of people just use roll pins but i thought I would have a bit of a play around at how hard it would be to make some up.  I just used an M6 stainless socket head cap screw I had. Used the tig to fill in the hex, then had a play on the lathe. I think the idea will work. Would be simpler with a regular hex headed bolt, as I wouldn’t need to tig at all. So will pick up some of them and have a go at making the hinge pins maybe next week.

Also removed what was left of the outrigger at the rear to see what was involved, relatively simple job. Have some new parts hopefully arriving this week to start the rebuild of the cargo floor area so should be a bit of fun.

Kicking myself though that on eBay there was a small collection of bits that included the hinge half I need.  I had actually set a reminder on my phone for just before the auction was ending but was under the bus grinding and didn’t hear it.  My loss someone eases gain I guess!!

Profile photo of firebug
    firebug
    Participant

This is a mammoth project! Very thorough work… :nice:

Nothing ruins your Friday more than realising it's only Tuesday...

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate, its a lot of work, but trying to break it down into small chunks.  Looking forward to the cargo floor area, that a big one, once that done will feel like its moving along :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a busy weekend, seem to spend a lot of time but don’t always have a whole lot to show for it.

My doors came back from the blasters during the week, and I also got about half the stuff I need for the cargo floor area delivered, the other is waiting on stock.  So was pretty eager to make a start.

Started on the rear cross member and out riggers.  Before removing the cross member I fitted the out rigger in place and welded it up so that I had a datum to work too for the position of the cross member.  This was a pretty significant moment as its the first time anything new has actually been fitted back onto the bus, not cut off!!

So them removed the cross member.  man this thing is going to be 50kg lighter just from all the dirt and mud that accumulated in every nook and cranny over the years!

Then welded the cross member and other out rigger, was pretty happy with the result, although my welding was a little hit and miss.

So today i decided to do the front cross member and out riggers.

Very happy with how that all turned out.

But also very happy with staring to get my welds sorted.  Thought i might share a couple of things i have learned, of course if anyone has any other tips fire away.  One of the members here suggested using 0.6mm mig wire for the body panels.  This was excellent, way less blows throughs and more control.  But, (and there is always a but!!)  When doing these parts, as they needed a bit more amps the wire was so thin it just wasn’t up to it and would just blow away almost (I am sure there is a more technical term!!)

So I decided to change back to the 0.8mm wire, and bingo much much better.  I also noticed that if I had the torch closer it was better, I am guessing that has to do with the gas, so i cranked up the flow of gas a little and again much better.  Very happy now.

So then I decided just for fun to put the doors on to get some inspiration, but also to show my wife Sue , who was vary happy  :D
    (happy wife, happy life!!!)

So all in all a great week end, feel like I am making progress all the time.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice going Gary I only had today on mine but got a lot done  what welder are you using the pre and post gas on argon shield or an older machine with co2 , I only ask as I have both and can not standard my new one with the pre and post gas ,I weld better with the 20 year old one oh and the new one use the gas real quick

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    Profile photo of

I use .6 for but welds but pretty much use .9 for everything else, looking good Gary!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice going Gary I only had today on mine but got a lot done what welder are you using the pre and post gas on argon shield or an older machine with co2 , I only ask as I have both and can not standard my new one with the pre and post gas ,I weld better with the 20 year old one oh and the new one use the gas real quick

I have a Unimig Razor 175, and use Argon.  The welder is great, the guy holding it, well he is a bit of a slow learner!!  I am assuming Argon is the go, thats what I was told?

I use .6 for but welds but pretty much use .9 for everything else, looking good Gary!

Yep IJ, that’s pretty much what I have now worked out.  You are spot on.  I also found on eBay today a weld clamp that has a copper back plate, seemed like a nice little tool, I do have some copper I can clamp in pce but this seemed like it may be useful.

Profile photo of

Straight Argon?

NOT good for Steel with the Mig one of the mixes would be better..

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah argon mix is the way I haven’t tried it on my old welder yet will have to wait till I get some more but going to buy a bottle so I don’t have to rent the bottle

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So tbh I reckon it’s what I got when I did the stainless exhaust. What do you suggest?

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.