HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi all, thought I would start this thread to stop it cluttering up my Senator one.  So my wife and I want to do some cruising around Oz in a few years, but I am not a Winnebago kinda guy, so have always thought of building a nice cool split window Kombi.

Just picked this one up, just couldn’t resist for the price.  Not exactly sure of the year yet, but I am thinking between 1958-62.  Rear half is pretty solid, but the car was used as a donor car and the front is a mess panel wise.  I wont really get stuck into the job for another year or so.  Right now it isn’t on wheels, so i need to sort some, then get it rolling so i can get it home.

Those of you that know of my Senator know I did most of the mechanical work on that, but on the Kombi I want to teach myself how to do panel and paint.  Its a lot of work but a Kombi is a relatively simple car, I am not after show quality (famous last words) but I do want it to be cool.

I am thinking probably something like a 2500cc Scat motor, new gearbox, air bag suspension, disc brake conversion, Fuchs rims.  Some sort of two tone paint.  Internally a small bed, and an area to make a coffee and a sandwich.  Should be a bit of a fun.  This is how it sits now.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

If the Senator is anything to go by, this should look awesome.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hoping so, if your going to be an old fart and drive around australia. Might as well do it in style :)

Profile photo of VKJZ
    VKJZ
    Participant

Oh, it is a project alright!

Got a soft spot for the Kombi. Had an old Bay window for a bit. Most reliable car I’ve ever had haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

We have always wanted one, yep she’s going to take a bit of work. Set a goal of 3 years, bit really not that fussed how long it takes.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is us picking it up. Was a shit of a day, rainy as but hey I really wanted to get it home :) Really happy getting a chance to get a really close look at it, I know it looks bad but for 53 years old, she is looking pretty sound. whats there is still rock solid, obviously the front is toast but they are available as a complete unit nowadays. Tomorrow will get it into the container, then sit on it for a while. Woo hoo, we own a Splitty!!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, seems not all Splitty’s are not the same… There are quite a few subtle and not so subtle differences I am learning.

There are a couple of different versions of the front door, the only change is an extra recess in post ’61 busses, compare to pre ’61 like mine. You can see below the difference, looks like the door i picked up a few months back is not period correct.

Also on the side cargo doors there is again two versions, mine has the top hinge up high, whereas the later ones moved it down.

So as bad luck would have it, I found a guy who has the parts I need, and yep you guessed it they are not correct. Bummer, so the search continues.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got invited up last week to see a guy who is a bit of a guru in the Kombi scene. He has an awesome set up. Coincidentally he is doing a Kombi at the moment that came off the line only 50 numbers different, so probably close to the same week in early 1960. He is doing a beautiful job, adn spent a hor or so with me taking through whats needed.

Profile photo of lemusa
    lemusa
    Participant

Don’t think you’ll be battling any clearance issues on this build! Didn’t realise they were so…empty…underneath but I guess it’s all happening at the back so sorta makes sense.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So thanks to a member on here with some Photoshop skills this is the sort of look i want to go for :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Scored a repair section for the side window that has been cut out previously. Really solid panel too :)

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well much excitement in the McRae household. I sent away to the Volkswagen factory in Germany and they have sent me an official “birth certificate” for the Kombi. It was built on the 29th June, 1960, was Dove Blue, with grey upholstery, and ivory knobs. Cool as we reckon :)

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Pretty awesome that such a large automotive manufacturer took the time to respond to your request. Awesome!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree mate, not sure why I ma so excited by it but I am. Sort of gives it life. Looking forward to getting stuck into it later this year.

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Nice project. I’m a VW fan myself. My wife has the Passat Alltrack and I own a Golf R.

Let me know if you need help sourcing parts as I know a few people in Sydney and Rockhampton Qld that may come in useful. Also with the engine, I’m sure I’ve seen people fit a Subaru EJ20.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey mate, I am actually searching for a pair of side cargo doors, if anyone knows of any, let me know :)

Profile photo of ajvx01
    ajvx01
    Participant
    Supporter

Nice project. I’m a VW fan myself. Also with the engine, I’m sure I’ve seen people fit a Subaru EJ20.

this.. Also vw fan:) I drive a t5 transporter and Mrs drives a mk5 golf..

I’ve seen boxers on them too, loots of potential!

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of ajvx01 ajvx01.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not a huge fan of swapping motors from different manufacturers. I am thinking of probably a 2.2 litre scat VW or something. I am building it so we can travel around Australia but in a bit of style. So I want it nice and reliable, with enough grunt to to cruise along at 110 km/h but thats all :)

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Well much excitement in the McRae household. I sent away to the Volkswagen factory in Germany and they have sent me an official “birth certificate” for the Kombi. It was built on the 29th June, 1960, was Dove Blue, with grey upholstery, and ivory knobs. Cool as we reckon :)

That’s awesome. Can’t imagine Holden doing that for something from the era.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

I don’t know if you watch Car SOS but they gave a 71 combi the once over on Monday night.

Not a splitty but still an interesting build.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.