HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SaUte
    SaUte
    Participant
    Supporter

I cant look at a kombi anymore without thinking of this guy.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Mick

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So now the Senators done, time to get stuck into this.  Can’t wait.  A couple of good mates and I went out and pulled it out if the container its been in for the last year and brought it home.  Had a bit of a party at my place, quite a few of my friends think I’m crazy and its too far gone, but I reckon its a beauty.  Definitely going to be a very steep learning curve learning to do body work but should be a great bus once its done.

Profile photo of Wraith
    Wraith
    Participant

Looking good Gary. Also that car port looks like it was designed by a legend :p

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

…Also that car port looks like it was designed by a legend :p

Lol, its sooo much better than before, here’s one showing it better.  Doing this type of stuff is why I was anal about designing it with no posts at all, made it so easy.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Be interesting to see what it goes for.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Seen these?

vhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoB84aTBHO0

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^no I haven’t, great stuff, thanks for that, will sit and watch them maybe even tonight  :good:   :good:

So friends popped in today to use the hoist to do oil changes on there cars, and young Joe started cleaning off the some of the moss in the front cab.  They also loaned me an industrial style vacuum cleaner.  So after lunch it got me a bit interested so I broke out some gear and started getting into it.

At first I just wanted to do a couple of spots to see how it was underneath.  Ended up doing the whole roof, as well as the interior.  Even the windows cleaned up really well.  What steel work is there is actually pretty sound,  especially from the floor up, and also the front cabin.  Not bad when you consider he’s 55 years old and spent a number of years in a paddock.

The rest will need replacement and repair.  Luckily repair panels are available for pretty much every part of a splitty these days. The floors and chassis out riggers, front doglegs etc are known trouble spots.  As I say I have never tackled body work before so actually really looking forward to giving it a go.  I am not after a show quality finish, just something that will look good on the road, that we can really enjoy.

Here’s just a few pics for posterity

sands vs
    Participant

Keen to watch this thing progress..

Reason why I sent you the vids the top one ICON has one which has been hugely updated for functionality wise for actual use like your going to use it for.. Brilliant what they have achieved.

The foose one is cool just to see what they can do body mods and styling wise.,

The street machine wise series is great shows engine mods in detail and the body resto in great detail, brake upgrades

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea they are great, Icon as you say good for interior upgrades, Foose, well its just Foose  :yes:   the Sidchrome ones are a bay, but will have a look. Much appreciated  :good:

Spoke to the Kombi guru today, with a bit of luck he’s coming up on the week end to get me started.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    sands vs
    Participant

Nice so whats the first thing you will attack?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Really want to wait to see what Andrew has to say, but keen to get the nose sorted  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well that was a bit of fun.  Andrew came over today, he has an uber cool original 356 Porsche, red leather & silver body as a daily.  He could have left that for me :)

Anyhow, the guy is walking encyclopedia on Splitties.  Went through pretty much everything with me, yep its going to be a huge job, but I did know that.  Will make all the more satisfying when its done.  He reckons mines about par, its just how they are.  I think I may have scored my very elusive side cargo doors too which would be awesome.

So I need to buy some 20mm RHS tubing to use to used tacked in to stop it all moving as I pretty much cut half of whats left away.  So new nose, sills, doglegs etc etc etc.  Apparently the go is do that first then afterwards get it media blasted, that way they can blast into all the hidden boxed in sections.

I also need to make a up a transport dolley, basically a rectangular frame with kick ass casters so i can remove all the suspension etc but be able to move it around.

So very keen to get started, he is going to look a hell of a lot worse before he starts to look better, but really looking fwd to making a start.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Pity about the distance you could have borrowed one of mine… I made a couple when I moved the machines here.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Mate, I reckon that’s pretty much exactly the kind thing I need to make.  Only thing is my driveway area being blue metal is a right pita, so i reckon I might have to invest in some much larger casters so I can get it across onto the car trailer etc for blasting.  What size RHS is that?

Profile photo of

50x75x3mm Gary, probably get away with much lighter though the Kombi only being a shell, I’d look at some pneumatic castors if you’re wheeling it across gravel, either 8″ or 10″, the ones I used would be a disaster on your driveway …

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for that, yea maybe lighter would work, might ask what Andrew uses, nothing wrong with it being sturdy though.  That’s what I was thinking with the casters, the gravel isn’t wheel friendly that’s for sure..

Profile photo of

50x75x2mm would work fine, the 3mm really is overkill even for what I was doing, there’s a bunch of the castors I’m talking about on eBay, I originally set mine up for the machines with the 2 in the centre fixed and the 4 on the ends swivel, just made it easier to steer, for the Lexcen it was more important being able to roll it sideways so I replaced the centres with swivels.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks for that, I was thinking maybe 65 x 35 x 2.5, maybe i need to go bigger?  Theres a crowd here called Paramount Browns who have a big range of cheapish industrial casters etc (actually its man heaven)  Thought I might look there.  I was just going to use 4, one on each corner though.

Profile photo of

Sort of figured the bigger RHS will carry a lot more load, so you can leave it on the trolley for partial assembly and not have it fold up if you and a helper are inside working on something..

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.