HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea agreed, messaged Andrew he uses 50×50, so maybe that’s the go maybe 3 thk.  Been doing a little research and seems some guys make up a sort of outrigger vertical frame so you can roll it over onto its side to work on the underneath.  So I am thinking if I make it solid I can always build onto it later if I decide to go that way.  Not the greatest pic but this sort of idea.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I find the rectangle is a bit stiffer torsionally than the square but either will do it!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, I guess so buts not really a torsion issue, it just seems I have seen 3 or 4 like above out of 50×50, so sort of think its prob the go.  I am cutting so much out of if, there wont be much weight left ha ha.  But lets see, when I actually go buy it i might chicken out and go up in size :)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Made a good start today.  Was a bit apprehensive at first but sort of just plodded along.  Started off by using some 20×20 and bracing the front as Andrew had suggested.  Just holds it all in place whilst you basically pull the car to pieces.  Used my new mig.  Have to say its years since I last used one, prob need to brush up on that a bit, but I guess by the end I will be back to OK :)

Then used a flap disc and ground back the crimped edge on the nose on each side, then used a spot weld drill bit to spot face the few spot welds.  Ran a 1mm cut off saw across the windscreen channel.  Need to tidy it all up but the nose is off.  Then started the disassembly.  Lots of it is held with Phillips head or regular cross head screws.  of course after 55 years almost all are rusted on.  Had a crack using some heat from my mini gas flame torch and bingo, that was the answer.

So have the glass out, nose off, front parcel shelf, speedo (which looks like its in perfect condition, and all the switches etc.  The wiring loom is actually in pretty good nick, so I may be able to salvage that.  The rest is as I expected, looks worse than it is, the bottom is completely toast, but above that is salvageable.  Great to be into it finally.

The Senators out front of the shed, so reckon I may take that for a spin around the block before I put it away.  Good times :)

Few pics for posterity;

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Now the fun begins………. again, lol.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

N………. again, lol.

Feels a bit like that tbh, great to be back out in the shed again though :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Balls deep into it now. Will be even more satisfying when your finish this compared to the VR.

The big question is. Driveline? Rear mount BBC?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nah, did briefly consider a Porsche motor, but its not worth it for this, I just want a cool cruiser.  So probably just say a 2.2 litre, may build that myself, not sure.  That will get it cruising nicely at highway speeds.  Do want to go air bag suspension on all corners though, which also means converting the rear to full IRS not the old swing arms.  Also go a later 5 speed gearbox, and probably power assisted discs all round.

Profile photo of

Saw one awhile back with Carrera 4 running gear, that was pretty cool  B-)

(knowing my thing for awd)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, have seen a few different variations some of which are very cool, haven’t seen an AWD one though, if you can find a pic or link chuck it up.  Supposedly a Subaru motor works well too.  But I just want something reliable and easy.  Its more about the fun rocking along it rather than laying rubber.  No cooling system or ECU to worry about sounds pretty good to me given I have years of rust repairs in front of me :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well did quite a few hours on the week end but at one of those stages that probably doesn’t look like I achieved much.  Cut and drilled all the plates and RHS and got the bottom section of the dolley done.  very happy with how my welds on the mig were going by the end.  Then started playing around and got the front suspension all removed, bloody dirty job with 50+ years of accumulated dirt under there.  Attacked the rear trans-axle and of course can up against a totally frozen bolt, one of the big suckers that holds the axle in.  Took every trick in the book (heat/cold/hammer etc) to get it out.  So I’m ready to have another go at removing the trans-axle then i can do the vertical members on the dolley.  Great fun so far.  Bit a different kind of build to the Senator, will be great once its all blasted and its all clean.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well I actually really prefer working on my own but sometimes it can be harder.  Removing the rear transaxle proved to be a bit harder than expected, frozen bolts, and me now knowing Volksy’s yet didn’t help!  Also every time I bump it 50 years of dirt falls on my head.  But its out, so that front and rear suspension etc removed :).  Also got the bottom part of the transport Dolley sorted, looks good I think.  Hopefully next week end get it all fully welded and the vertical side sorted.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Looks like bloody messy work glad its you not me

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^that seems to be pretty much the consensus of everyone, cool project, but glad its you not me :)

Profile photo of seeum8
    seeum8
    Participant

Any kind of rust repair on an old car is a massive undertaking. The end result will make you appreciate the work that much more. As for the Subaru engine swap, this might interest you. Only a beetle but a very cool conversion none the less.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Nice conversion indeed.  One must wonder what they did to make the transaxle take that sort of power?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just watched the vid, very cool. But no engine swap on this one, and defnately no ECU!!!  Carbies and ditributor all the way. :)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well now that project “Ringo the Hiace Rebuild” is done and dusted I can get back onto my own projects.  Had a fun day today, finished off all the bracing and welding of the bottom of the dolley and have the main structure of the upright side tacked up.  I think its going to work out pretty well.  With a bit of luck tomorrow will get it close to finished, at least i can roll it around the shed again :good:

Profile photo of

Looking good Gary, must say your legs are sensational (pic #3)  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, that was Susie when she came out for a looksee and cuppa at one stage :good: She hardly ever did that with the Senator, Walter is a different story :)

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.