HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Punches and Flanges  :yahoo:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So a question.  Seems usually you flange and plug weld, then fill the join with filler.  But if i wanted too, could i use the flange tool, then plug weld, but then weld along the join so i could sand down the weld so it is all done in steel?

Profile photo of

Yeah no reason why not, just do a small section at a time and move around a bit to minimise the warpage, if it goes a bit Oil can just use a wet rag to quench it while it’s still hot and this will tighten the panel back down.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers for that mate, also been looking at a few videos on the net, seems some guys swear by using “weld through primer” on both parts before welding them together.  Given quite a bit you cant get access to after to be able to paint maybe its a good idea?  Seems though its not the easiest thing to find to buy though.

Profile photo of

Great idea if it’s something you want to keep Gary!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea def never selling it, went out and picked some up from a car body repair supply place, will give it a go.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary  there is a crc product zinc-it   it works well

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks mate, yes from the research I did seems the copper based products are a little better for mig work as they have less splatter but the zinc based work well.  But both work.  I spoke to the guys at the car body shop supply place down the road and they recommended this and it was a pretty good price.  So I will give that a go and see how it goes.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

It’s all ways good to know what products work

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Super happy to have scored a pair of the correct year cargo doors, also a better front passenger door, again the right year.  They are on their way over soon, will post some more pics when they arrive.  Great to be close to having the bits I need to work with.

Also saw a for sale come up and really love the steering wheel that’s on it, might have to keep that in mind later down the track.  I believe its a Flat 4 Banjo, just looks sweet i reckon.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Nice where did you source the door?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Found a really good mob in Sydney.  There is a very good FB page for early Kombi’s, posted on there I was chasing them and they responded.  Actually really nice people to deal with.  So far the VW community has been bloody good, seems they are all just keen to see them get back on the road.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Took a day off work today and had a good shed day, thought I might post up but hope to get more done tomorrow.  Tackled the outside of the worst chassis on the passenger side.  Got some nice 2mm sheet, also took some tips a very helpful member sent me in regards leaving a small gap for better penetration, also using the air gun to cool each weld to minimize distortion.  Really happy with how it turned out for a rank amateur.  Gotta say i feel like I am starting to get a feel for the basics, slow and steady wins the race, and it seems most of it is in the prep.

Also very exciting that the doors arrived, they look in really great condition.  The blue cargo is awesome, and the other cargo has already had the bottom repair started.  The passenger side front door is pretty good, of course needs the bottom skin repair like the all seem too.

Tomorrow I want to try and do the drivers side chassis repair which is much smaller than the one I just did, and also try and remove what remains of the old cargo hinges.  Any tips on removing these Phillips head screws, I have tried an impact driver with no luck, any tips?

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary try welding a bolt to them then you can use a socket I’m assuming you want reuse them ,replace with hex countersunk instead

• This reply was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey Gary try welding a bolt to them then you can use a socket I’m assuming you want reuse them ,replace with hex countersunk instead

Hi mate, thanks, a guy on the VW forum said that they are a captive nut plate that you throw away and remake.  So apparently you just drill off the head then somehow they come out.  But thanks anyway that was along the lines of what i was going to try :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So today finished the drivers side outside chassis repair,  So that’s a mini milestone I think with basically the actual chassis all solid.  Also a lad up the road who is a bit of a Kombi nut came down and had a look and gave me some tips and walked me through a whole heaps of areas I was unsure of.  Then went up to his place and saw his mini (maxi) collection of splitties, man has he got some beautiful projects on the go.  His single cab ute is just bloody awesome. So came back all enthused and tackled the cargo door hinge captive plates.  What a pita, I tried an impact hammer, no good, then tried welding a nut but that wasn’t very successful either.  So ended up carefully cutting access form behind, then drilled out the bottom bolt completely, then took the head off the top one and was able to prise the plates up and out.  Also just did a little trimming and cleaning up of the lower valance on the nose just to start to see what i have to play with.  So all in all a great couple of days.
    Few pics for posterity

Profile photo of

It’s like an Iceberg… 75% is hidden

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, maybe 90%  :good:

Profile photo of

1 saving grace being so old it’s not all Hi Tensile!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

1 saving grace being so old it’s not all Hi Tensile!

thats when you bust out the demo saw and show the fucker who is boss

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.