HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

To me it will be maybe just big enough for now, but no headroom at all for later.  Personally, I think a single 3″ is nowhere near enough.  I would be going twin 2.5, or even twin 3″.  Its a 6.2L LS3, single 3″ yea nah (imo)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Twin into single are generally very loud.

Personally. A minimum of twin 2.5. But good mufflers and mandrel bent.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

1 3/4 extractors for cam/heads ls3 will be fine but reckon you’ll need twin 3″ with mufflers then across top of diff yoke section into a 2 in 1 out rear muffler…will be tad on loud side.

Could try jamming mufflers full of steel wool & flat metal flange gasket with holes drilled in them although with cone things posted above it will run better.

Or if exhaust has v bands make centre sections interchangeable to strangle it.

Having a backup exhaust & airbox not necessarily a bad thing for engineers & just in case it gets defected.

$160’ish  2.5′ vl catback(rhino etc) with reverse flow muffler & resonator off gumtree will strangle it enough to sound like a v6  :good:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys. I’ll go with the twin 2.5 into single 3 for now. I spoke to the guy building it over the weekend, he said he’ll put a flange on the join so I can swap to a 3.5 rear section if I want to.

Swapped the font suspension over on the weekend and put new springs and shocks in. the passenger side shock was leaking so it needed doing anyway. The passenger ball joint popped out and the dust cover was ripped, I think twisting the strut around while doing the springs has done it. Picked up a new dust cover and pulled the lower control arm off, replaced the cover and stuck the ball joint back in and put it all back together. Spoke to a mechanic about running the brake lines, he wanted 500 bucks to do it using the new line I have. Got a mate to come round yesterday and we managed to get the front lines bent up and installed. Was a mission but got there in the end, they could have been a little neater but we hadn’t done it before, turned out alright.  Just ran them in the factory spots. Only need to run the rear line, going to run new line from the master down under the drivers seat then join onto the existing line. Fingers crossed I can get the brakes finished this weekend so I can run it through the gears to make sure the gearbox is sweet, then it’ll have it’s maiden voyage out the garage and down the driveway under it’s own power haha.

Also scored a free set of front seats from a VK, need the passenger rail for my seats as they’re from a VL.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow very nice progress, getting to the exciting part…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks Gary, yep edging closer.

Just ordered a few things to make an intake pipe. Going to use a 4 to 3.5 inch silicon reducer elbow out of the throttle body, then a 90 degree alloy bend, then it’ll join onto the MAF, then back into an alloy pipe and into the air box. Got a 180 degree 3.5 bend, going to  cut it in half to make an S shape out of the box and run the pipe under the radiator hose and up to the throttle body, that’s the only way to run the pipe.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like a cunning plan to me…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Hopefully I dont have temp issues with it running behind the radiator for about half it’s length

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I don’t remember if you are running a reverse cowl?  Without any venting, if mine is anything to go by the under-bonnet temps will be pretty high anyway whatever you do.  It’s a lot of engine in a little bay.   It’s one of the reasons I am doing my vented bonnet idea.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Was going to run a cowl but gonna go with the standard bonnet. The tuner can keep an eye on the intake temps during the dyno runs so I’ll get him to let me know how it goes.

Profile photo of Vsl98
    Vsl98
    Participant

Hey heron what size is your throttle body

Vsl98

Heron SSV
    Participant

Not sure what the butterfly size is but a 4 inch/102mm silicon bend fits perfectly

Profile photo of Vsl98
    Vsl98
    Participant

Yeah okay

Vsl98

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Not sure what the butterfly size is but a 4 inch/102mm silicon bend fits perfectly

89mm

Heron SSV
    Participant

Intake parts arrived today. Also just finished Dry July so looking forward to a beer tomorrow night haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Congrats on that mate, well done.  I tried it once, sad to admit couldntdo it…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers mate. Wasn’t too bad actually, copped some crap from my mates, especially when I went to the third Origin game, they were taking the piss the whole time haha. Hardest part was probably not cracking a beer when I got the VK running properly, was planning on enjoying one, that’ll happen this weekend though.

This week’s jobs will be the intake and finishing off the brakes, then figuring out how to mount the FBW pedal. Was thinking about bolting it to a metal plate, then bolting the plate to the firewall.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, well that’s what mates are for (taking the piss!!)

Do you have a nutsert set?  They are awesome for that sort of stuff.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yep got a nutsert kit, what an awesome tool

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

They are arent they.  So neat and simple.

Viewing 20 posts - 641 through 660 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.