HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

The honeycomb one

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Can you change to the card style will make the intake less congested.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Dunno. I’ll look at where to position it and see if I can get a decent spot

probably going to get my brake calipers rebuilt. Local shop wants 110 bucks per caliper

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I use a 4″ Lingenfelter card type on mine, very little restriction.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Dunno. I’ll look at where to position it and see if I can get a decent spot probably going to get my brake calipers rebuilt. Local shop wants 110 bucks per caliper

do the callipers yourself its easy cost 20 buck for the kit and that’s for a pair , can you go to a map sensor and ditch the maf on the factory ecu

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Dunno. I’ll look at where to position it and see if I can get a decent spot probably going to get my brake calipers rebuilt. Local shop wants 110 bucks per caliper

do the callipers yourself its easy cost 20 buck for the kit and that’s for a pair , can you go to a map sensor and ditch the maf on the factory ecu

i need to run a maf for engineering, not even sure if it will be turned off when it’s tuned but it has to be there

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

i need to run a maf for engineering, not even sure if it will be turned off when it’s tuned but it has to be there

yip forgot that engineering thing

Heron SSV
    Participant

Spoke to two workshops today about tuning. Both are around the 900 buck mark for a tune. Also asked about an exhaust, one shop said about 1700 for a full system including cats, I called a local exhaust shop who quoted 1200. Both said to go with twin 2.5 inch into single 3 inch over the diff, both said any bigger would cause clearance problems as there isn’t much room over the diff. Anyone see any flow issues with that size? I have 1 3/4 tri y headers so the size might work with my setup.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Just spoke to Castle Hill Performance. They said 800 for a tune, and said I’d have issues with noise during engineering and said they would throw a cheap system on for engineering for about 500, then put a twin 2.5 to single 3.5 over the diff once its engineered, that would be about 1200.

decisions decisions. Do I get a cheap system for engineering, then sell it and get a better system done? Or get a decent one done now and try to get the sound down…

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

If you spend the money on decent mufflers you will get flow and keep it quiet. Id use muffler centre in nsw they did mine and a few mates give them dimensions and they will post. They hand make them really nice work https://mufflercentre.com.au/ .

I ran magnaflow, redback and defillipo they where are very noisy. When you look at the materials and how they are made it makes sense. I got these made from scratch and they are strait through offset and the difference is huge. I know people that have used these to get off defects.  They flow and will shut it up , do it once and forget about it

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    sands vs
    Participant

Middle muffler they made for mine..

Rear muffler they made

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^they look nice.  My system is twin 3″ with di phillipo mufflers and nothing I could do would shut it up to get it through engineering (and I tried a lot of things).  In the end, I put a dumb ass single system on it to get it through.  I do 100% agree with the do it once thing.  I now have a $500 exhaust system that’s worth nothing, as it’s made to fit an LS into VR with custom collectors so who wants it.

Also, be wary of tuning costs mate, it will be “plus consumables” and “if nothing goes wrong”.  My bitter experience with 4 tuners now is consumables will cost more than you think and things will go wrong.  It’s just how it is, but if you are budgeting be aware.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just put restrictor plates on the flanges and build one good system. That’s what I’m doing

I had hand made Dfillipo mufflers and they were killer. Made it real quiet but kept that v8 sound.

Dale at castle hill would have to be up there in Australia’s top 5 tuners. You will be in good safe hands.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks for your help lads, quality points as usual. I’ll be thinking about what to do over the next week or so to let the ideas sink in and come up with the best way forward.

Cava – got any pics or info on what restrictor plates you mean?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

If you go down the restrictor plate path, I tried these Dynacones and they do work.  They just didn’t take enough out for me.  They sometimes use them is speedway etc when they have to race at a track tight on noise restrictions.  The ones I made are 3″ but they are available in a range of sizes, they just sandwich between the collector and pipe.  I have a pair here which if I can find them I would be happy to loan you (or anyone) as long as I got them back after.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers Gary, I’ll do some googling on them. Might help me get it through engineering so I can go with one decent system from the start.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No probs, I bought mine through Summit.

sands vs
    Participant

If you go down the restrictor plate path, I tried these Dynacones and they do work. They just didn’t take enough out for me. They sometimes use them is speedway etc when they have to race at a track tight on noise restrictions. The ones I made are 3″ but they are available in a range of sizes, they just sandwich between the collector and pipe. I have a pair here which if I can find them I would be happy to loan you (or anyone) as long as I got them back after.

They are interesting how much difference DB did they make in the end?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Tbh I cant remember, it’s in the build thread somewhere, by memory 3 or 4 dB.

Edit: wasn’t a bad guess, page 6 of my build thread, 3.5dB, which is not bad given what they are.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m leaning towards a local shop that quoted 1200 for a twin 2.5 into single 3 inch. A few mates have recommended him and he sounded like a decent bloke over the phone. There’s a local car show on this Sunday arvo, he’ll be there with his VK, so I’ll pop up and have a chat.

Anyone see any flow issues with that size exhaust? Engine will be stock for the time being, will be cammed eventually but that wont be until mid to late next year at least.

Viewing 20 posts - 621 through 640 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.