HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Bud lsa 3 and ls1 filters have different thread and size , ls1 sump ls1 filter

Good progress mate

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Hey Bud lsa 3 and ls1 filters have different thread and size , ls1 sump ls1 filter Good progress mate

cheers mate, thanks for the info

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Hey Bud lsa 3 and ls1 filters have different thread and size , ls1 sump ls1 filter Good progress mate

Im pretty sure I have the oil filter that come with my crate motor on my Ls1 sump.

With everything so interchangeable between the LS variants, id be shocked if it was different.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Im pretty sure I have the oil filter that come with my crate motor on my Ls1 sump. With everything so interchangeable between the LS variants, id be shocked if it was different.

Hey Cava I just did this and the crate lsa-3 filter did not fit the vy ls1 sump , maybe if you change the threaded part in the sump may work

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Adventra Sumps use a different fitting, M20 from memory.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Got most of the fuel line in today. Ran hardline from above the diff along where the factory line runs the ran it across to the back of the trans, then braid from there to the rail. Got a few P clamps on it and a bunch of zip ties, it’s not going anywhere. Managed to get a P clamp on one of the shifter bolts above the trans to hold the braid in place cause there’s bugger all room to try and secure it. Ran some heat proof sleeve over the hardline where it will run above the exhaust and also on the braid near the trans. Next up will be painting the tank, sorting out the vent hoses and filler neck and installing, plus finding a spot for the regulator near the tank in an ever shrinking space. Also need to find a spot for the carbon canister.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Nice work.

Thanks Gary. No pics unfortunately, was trying to get it done by midday cause I had to take my kids to get their soccer team photos done then for a quick squirt on their motorbikes afterwards. I’ll grab some pics this weekend.

Going to look into mounting the carbon canister under the front passenger guard, up underneath the old battery tray. I cant see a suitable spot for it up the back that wont cause issues running the exhaust over the diff, unless it merges into one before the diff, and even then it’ll be tight, so I think I’ll whack it under the guard and find a spot to run the hoses.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s a good spot, I actually have mine in the factory VR location in the bay, you really don’t notice it.  Whatever you do it needs to be plumbed into the engine, then also the tank.  So it can pretty much site anywhere between those spots.  From memory, the VT cannister is a rectangular style and may be easier to mount/fit?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yep I have one from a VX SS, its a smallish rectangular box. I’m using one of the factory hard lines that was used for it so it doesnt really matter which end it’s at.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, I remember messing around for ages seeing if I could mount one of those at the back on mine, but the IRS just made it all too busy.  Under the guard is a great spot for stuff I reckon, thats also where my windscreen washer bottle is too.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s where mine will go. I brought a CD one stupidly. It’s huge.

i sell to you cheap

Heron SSV
    Participant

Off to the wreckers on Sat to get a filler neck for the tank plus the breather lines so I can get the right size replacements, tail shaft safety loop, brake booster vacuum line fitting and some brake line nuts. Supercheap have a sale on this week and have the Optima D34 yellow top down from $399 to $319, trying to convince the missus to let me spend some more hard earned cash money haha

Anyone have any info on the handbrake setup for aVK? I’ve been searching online and cant really get a detailed description of how its set up. I can see some have brake shoes that look like they fit inside the drum of the disk, but there was nothing like that on mine when I pulled the rear end apart to swap diffs

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not sure if its similar to the VR set up?  I think theres pics on my build thread.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Bud TWR-92 wrote this up might help

how to change drum to disk brakes on a VL

• This reply was modified 4 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks guys, that info helps. I’ll have a look at the wreckers on the weekend

Heron SSV
    Participant

Just bought an Optima D34 yellowtop battery, DBA rear brake rotors and Bendix pads

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Awesome battery, had one near on 15 years, only recently died…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yep they’re definitely a great product. Don’t often see them on sale at Supercheap for $319, and that’s virtually the best price I can see from other suppliers online.

Supercheap have DBA stuff on sale as well so I got a pair of DBA rear discs for $51.

Can I use the handbrake setup from any live axle commodore? My local wrecker has a couple of VN to VS sedans sitting around so I was hoping I could raid one of them for the bits I need.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Went to the wreckers on Sat and grabbed a filler neck, brake line nuts and a trans safety loop. the safety loop doesn’t fit cause its from a VP, my own silly mistake, lucky everything was only 40 bucks so no big loss. Also bought some pipe spanners from Supercheap for 20 bucks, so much more grip on bolts, especially brake line nuts. Bought some more fuel line as well to start replacing the breather lines on the tank. Plus some demineralised water for the radiator. Rear discs and pads should be delivered this week, picking up the battery next Monday. Now I have almost all the bits and pieces to get it up and running, need to get another knock sensor, and sort out the intake, want to get the Mace air box but not a fan of the intake pipe they supply as its one of the universal bendy ones, but I might just throw it on to get it sorted for now.

Off to QLD this weekend for the HKTG drags, heading up with a mate racing his HK Monaro with a 434 small block

Viewing 20 posts - 561 through 580 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.