HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Went to the wreckers on Sat and grabbed a filler neck, brake line nuts and a trans safety loop. the safety loop doesn’t fit cause its from a VP, my own silly mistake, lucky everything was only 40 bucks so no big loss. Also bought some pipe spanners from Supercheap for 20 bucks, so much more grip on bolts, especially brake line nuts. Bought some more fuel line as well to start replacing the breather lines on the tank. Plus some demineralised water for the radiator. Rear discs and pads should be delivered this week, picking up the battery next Monday. Now I have almost all the bits and pieces to get it up and running, need to get another knock sensor, and sort out the intake, want to get the Mace air box but not a fan of the intake pipe they supply as its one of the universal bendy ones, but I might just throw it on to get it sorted for now.

Nice work, coming together.

Off to QLD this weekend for the HKTG drags, heading up with a mate racing his HK Monaro with a 434 small block

Like to see a vid or pics of that in action!!

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

A few pics from the weekend:

My mates HK GTS. 434 small block, TH350, 9 inch. Best ET was 10.67, could get more out of it and run a low 10 but he doesn’t want to cage it

Another mates HG. 355, TH350, 9 inch, clear coated over the original paint. Twin pipes dumped at the diff, sounded awesome. First time drag racing, ran 8 runs between 12.6 and 12.9

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Such a timeless shape, beautiful.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Made some good progress this weekend. Painted the tank, installed it and the filler neck with all new vent hoses, mounted the reg and finished off the last bit of fuel line. Was gonna try and fire it up but there’s a threaded adapter that the oil filter screws onto that my sump doesn’t have. Ended up putting the battery in and priming the fuel line, purged the air from the valve on the rail and no leaks, so that’s a win. Got a diesel mechanic mate coming round on Sat to help me run the brake lines, so fingers crossed I’ll have it started next weekend

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Sweet progress :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Did some digging today, i need the oil filter adaptor fitting, GM part number is 12552357. Under 15 bucks on eBay, Holden want $61, can get an Aeroflow one (AF59-2075) for 15 bucks. Spoke to Engine Master Australia, one of the guys there had a VY LS1 sump, he’s puled the adaptor out and is sending it to me tomorrow.

Also have my sparky coming round tomorrow arvo to wire up the thermo as it wasnt in when he did the wiring.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thermo is wired up and the sump thread thingy is on its way. The sparky confirmed there’s a T piece on the oil pressure sender with one signal going to the ECU and the other to the dash, so fingers crossed I’ll see pressure on the dash when I start it

Heron SSV
    Participant

Got it started today but no oil pressure. Filled the filter before putting it on, cranked it for a while with the fuel pump disconnected but nothing on the dash. Plugged the pump in and it fired up straight away, ran it for about 10 seconds but still no pressure so shut it down. Went and bought a capillary oil pressure gauge and hooked it up, cranked it and nothing. Pulled the plug off the side and primed the pump, still no pressure. The o ring on the pickup was fine when I swapped the sump almost two years ago but it might have dried out a bit or isn’t seated properly, or the pickup is clogged. Will probably have to drop the sump to have a look, hopefully I can lift the motor on the crane and drop the k frame out so I don’t have to pull the motor

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

that sucks :-( when you just want to hear it running

Heron SSV
    Participant

Heard it for 10 seconds, straight out the headers, loud as fk haha. It was glorious. I’ve got a video I’ll try to put up tomorrow.

pulled the sump off today. Prick of a job. Didn’t want to pull the engine so I hooked up my engine crane and dropped the k frame. Oil pickup o ring is perfect. Anyone know if I should be using the o ring suited to the engine or suited to the pickup? I’m using the red o ring, sits fine on the pickup, the sump and pickup is from an LS1 out of a VX

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

They should all be interchangeable I would of thought.

Try conpressed air when your dry cranking it next time. That should help promote oil pressure.

Also the factory oil pressure sensor is on the back of the valley plate.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

There are two different factory o rings, using the wrong one will cause the issue I have, but I haven’t been able to confirm yet if I’m  using the wrong one.

Heron SSV
    Participant

How the fk do I stick the video in a comment haha

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hey mate, did you post this up on FB over the weekend looking for help?

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah that was me. I spoke to Troy at Warspeed this morning, he said I’m using the wrong o ring. I’m using the red one, he said I need the blue one as the red one is thicker and would be squishing out of the recess and letting air in.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Ordered a new blue o ring, oil pickup brace and a new sump gasket, may as well replace it while the sump is off.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

I’ve always used the Blue rings, never measured them but I thought the Red one was smaller..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good to see you hopefully have it resolved, always nice to put a name to a username :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’ve always used the Blue rings, never measured them but I thought the Red one was smaller..

The red one is about 1mm thicker than the blue one. When I gave Troy from Warspeed a rundown of my setup and what was happening, as soon as I said I was using the red one he said thats the wrong one, the blue one will sort it out. Fingers crossed thats all I need to do.

Good to see you hopefully have it resolved, always nice to put a name to a username

Indeed it is, as good as this forum is, it’s also handy to have instant comments on Facebook with people chiming in with opinions on what the problem could be. Yes there are a variety of different solutions, but it helps you start to track down what’s happening and can give you suggestions that you haven’t thought of

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree re FB, it’s really good for “instant” answers, but the downside is you need to filter them a little as you sometimes don’t know the knowledge to the person answering.  At least with the forum, you learn who knows their stuff.  Fingers crossed that gets it sorted!!

Viewing 20 posts - 581 through 600 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.