HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Ordered some more stuff from a wreckers, got a MAF, VT charcoal canister and two front o2 sensors. Probably should get new o2 sensors, but they’re over $200 for new ones, and the wreckers had a par for $34 so I’ll throw them in and see what happens.

Also spoke to an engineer to see what he checks during the inspection. No surprises really, looks for all the emissions stuff to remain such as MAF, enclosed air box, o2 sensors, cats, charcoal canister, all venting lines plumbed back to the intake etc. so I’m on the right path so far. Anything welded such as the engine and gearbox mounts needs to have certification paperwork showing it complies with a particular standard. Exhaust will need to be tested so I’ll have to get a fairly mellow one unfortunately haha

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good stuff, interesting about the welding certification, mine didn’t need/want that, just goes again to show how it can vary subtly between engineers on what they accept.  Looks like no surprises there though, well done.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah spoke to a different engineer to the one I spoke with last year, just wanted to check on what the latest requirements are so I dont waste cash on the wrong parts.

He also said it’s around the $1k mark, depending how long it takes for the inspection and paperwork, so I’ll be trying to get it micky mouse before it gets looked at.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

He also said it’s around the $1k mark

That makes me sad, if only I had stuck with the stock LS3.  I paid a number of times more than that just because of the bloody emmision testing.  This thing will be a weapon mate in a little, light, 1st gen.

Heron SSV
    Participant

He also said it’s around the $1k mark

That makes me sad, if only I had stuck with the stock LS3. I paid a number of times more than that just because of the bloody emmision testing. This thing will be a weapon mate in a little, light, 1st gen.

I hope so, stock motor should be around the 450hp mark at the fly, should get it moving. It’d be nice to have around 750hp though, like a certain VR Senator haha

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s a lot cheaper and more straight foreward with a factory fitted motor.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

It’d be nice to have around 750hp though, like a certain VR Senator haha

Well there is that, at least its done now…

It’s a lot cheaper and more straight foreward with a factory fitted motor.

Yep sure is…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Quick question, should I base the amount of oil I put in on an LS1 seeing as i have a VT/VX sump? VF LS3 oil capacity is around 8 litres but they have a full length sump, the LS1’s take about 5 litres. Or just keep adding oil until the dipstick shows it’s full?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Based on the sump you have then check and top up according to the dipstick.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Based on the sump you have then check and top up according to the dipstick.

Thanks Ian, seeing as the engine has no oil, should I fill the filter separately before installing? Would that help with getting the oil pressure up quickly for the first start?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

LS’s prime fairly easily, I just pull the plugs and injector fuses then crank till I see pressure, do it in 60>90 second hits of the starter and it’ll be fine.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^Pretty much exactly what Canton said to do with the sump they supplied.  Once I had it all going, first oil change (not filter) I used my catch pan that has litre graduations on it and wrote down how much drained.  When I did an oil change and changed the filter I did the same thing and recorded the amount so next time I knew either way how much to fill.  Actually, have it written in texta on the side of my toolbox so I don’t lose it.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Productive weekend, mounted the radiator overflow tank, ran hoses for the tank and the steam port, finished off the trans cooler hoses and installed them with some heatproof sleeve where it runs near the headers, fixed up the fuel pump hanger and stuck it back in the tank with a new gasket, plugged the old dipstick hole in the block. Next up is running the fuel line and sticking the tank back in, have to sort out new breather hoses and the filler neck.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice progress mate, but more pics please  :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

As requested haha:

Gave the tank a bit of a clean up with some degreaser, might throw a bit of paint on it before it goes back in.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nice, having seen these and Cavs have to say going all black with the fittings, especially on a white car looks nice and clean. So got a list of whats left, if you are plumbing this stuff up, you must have knocked off most of the biggies?

Heron SSV
    Participant

I like the contrast on the black on white, the black fittings and hoses and stuff kinda blends in so it doesn’t look too busy with a million hoses and wires running everywhere.

One of the best parts of the weekend was last night when I went through my list of things to do and parts to buy and was able to cross a bunch of it off. Most of the big stuff is done, still have to do the following:

• Fit fuel tank and run fuel line and breather lines. I’ve got all the stuff I need so that’s my next job
    • Fit o2 sensor, need to get one knock sensor and fit
    • Sort out the intake, got a MAF, will probably get a Mace air box, but I dont like the intake pipe they supply so I’ll probably replace it at some point
    • Get a battery, stick some oil, water and fuel and kick it in the guts  :yahoo:
    • After it starts, I have to run the brake lines and put the calipers and new pads/rotors on, plus hook up the hand brake
    • Send it to get tuned and the whole car checked to make sure everything is done properly
    • Paint the bonnet and bumpers while it’s at the mechanics so they’re ready to go when it gets back
    • Once it’s back, get the front and rear windows installed and start refitting the interior
    • Get the engineering underway
    • Fix whatever is needed from the engineer
    • Blue slip, rego and skids

Probably a bunch of other stuff that I’ve missed, but that’s my list in a nutshell

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I love lists, so satisfying when you get to cross off an item.  I think first fire up is the highlight of any build.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I love lists, so satisfying when you get to cross off an item. I think first fire up is the highlight of any build.

I was surprised how enjoyable it was haha.

On a side note, seeing as I am running an LS1 sump, will I need to use an oil filter for an LS1 or an Ls3? Not sure if the filter mount changed, and I already have one for an LS3, so I might need to swap it.

Viewing 20 posts - 541 through 560 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.