HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I have those they are great.  Imo if I were doing mine again I would go all series 200 Teflon.  Firstly its all rated to high pressure so you can use it anywhere, like power steering etc.  Its also impervious to anything like E85 etc.  But its also way easier to fit the fttings on (and off)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Or just buy the alloy vice clamps. Same same….

I went all 200 on the fuel system.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

I’ve got the 100 series black braid. Here’s how the fitting ended up, going to redo it on the weekend:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Or just buy the alloy vice clamps. Same same…. I went all 200 on the fuel system.

Nah Cav, the Kool Tools are split collars you use to help feed the braid, the vice clamps are just to hold the fitting.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Or just buy the alloy vice clamps. Same same…. I went all 200 on the fuel system.

Nah Cav, the Kool Tools are split collars you use to help feed the braid, the vice clamps are just to hold the fitting.

yeah but put the clamp on the nut and feed your life away

Heron SSV
    Participant

Anyone have suggestions on how much space i should try to keep between the trans cooler/fuel lines and the exhaust? it gets pretty tight up near the firewall and i’m not sure if there is a minimum distance or if i can use some heat proof sleeving over the lines. Was looking at looping the trans cooler lines up and over the collector and then back under the rail, then under the guard to the front of the car. for the fuel line, I could run it in the factory spot up until under the drivers seat, then run it along some of the ribs under the car and into the trans tunnel then into braided line up to the manifold. The line will have to cross the exhaust at some point, could moving it back a little protect it more cause there wont be as much heat as there is up near the headers? Plus the metal ribs under the car can protect it a bit as well.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is how I did my fuel lines, I put heatproof tubing where they go over the exhaust.  I then have braided lines up across the tunnel above the trans.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cheers Gary, that looks good. How much gap did you end up with between the lines and exhaust? any comments or issues during the inspection when getting the rego sorted?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I am guessing there’s maybe 25mm of clearance, no, no issues with the engineer.  It does remind me though, before taking it to Regency I did make up some covers, not sure I have a pic though, give me a sec and I will see if I can find one.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Not the greatest pic, and I only did this as this is the full single exhaust I ran when I went through Regency.  I don’t run it like that anymore and had no issues.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Champion, thanks mate

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

The heat sleeve and shield is good practice. I’ll be doing the same. How every using bulk heads coming into the bay

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I just took mine up over the tunnel, neat and simple.  Lots of ways to skin a cat though.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Managed to get two hose ends on over the weekend. Left a layer or two of tightly wrapped tape on the end of the hose and got the fittings on properly. Put the trans cooler adaptors on and ran the two lines in through the guard to start working out where to run them. At this stage, I’m looking at running them over the top of the collector with some thermal insulating sleeve, under the chassis rail, then along the rail under the guard, looped up and around where the edge of the tyre comes close to the rail, with P claps holding them in place. Also have to get some -8 to -6 adaptors for the trans cooler as it has the bigger inlet/outlet.

Started a list of bits and pieces i need for the engine, any suggestions on where i should get the following from, and whether i can go with second hand or new:

• MAF ($40 from a wrecker)
    • one knock sensor
    • front o2 sensors
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I buy all my stuff like that off the guys at Precision International.  Have found them excellent to deal with.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Don’t leave the tape on it will cause trouble and leak

Heron SSV
    Participant

Getting back into it again. Ordered some stuff today, needed two reducer fittings for the trans cooler and a 180 degree fitting to finish off the lines, got a 12 foot roll of heatproof sleeve to put on the trans cooler and fuel lines that are close to the exhaust, a fancy black billet overflow for the radiator, and another adaptor for the fuel rail cause the ones I was sent a while ago are blue. Had a play around last night figuring out the bits for the fuel system, the regulator/filter I have from CAE has the inlet and return too close together so the fittings they sold me dont actually fit together, only one will fit. I’ll use rubber hose for the feed and return between the reg and the tank, that’s the only way it’ll work.

Also have to get a screw in fitting with a hose barb to plumb the steam port to the radiator, theres a threaded plug just under the top inlet on the radiator I hope I can use.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Any progress is good progress :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Spot on Gary…. my twin boys have given me an ultimatum to get it on the road for their year 6 farewell in December so I’ll be giving it a solid crack.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Always good to give yourself a deadline.  Looks like you have the bulk of it sorted.

Viewing 20 posts - 521 through 540 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.