HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVs Ute 383 Stroker in the build.

This topic contains 249 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giddo95 Giddo95 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Any pics of shifter install, currently doing my one, was it very tricky doing it with 4l60e? Or instructions etc make it straight forward?

Still havent gotten it done but have everything ready and wired up for the gear indicator system just need the time. Im using the drop box and dont see any issues at all done them before.

As for a days prep on the tray liner, there may have been a few beers consumed and an afternoon nap. But def glad i did it.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

The kit cost me about $300 took a day of prep. Not slippery but its not an everyday car so im not really in the back that often.

Lol a day of prep, how many beers you have ;) Give the ute tub a clean with a scrubbing brush the clean with prepsol and rub down with scotch bright. Then spray in, i used raptor liner, you can also tint it. And yes it is hard as fuck, its slightly slipery. If you go in my thread i think i have close up pics, you need zero skill to apply it just like sound deadener.

Zero skill is good. $300 is good. And looking a shitload better than a plastic tub liner is also very good. Def adding this to the to do list. Looks great i both of your utes.

Anyone can do it just make sure the prep is done and your all good.

Sorry to read about your ute mate always hate it when people don’t do the right thing bloody dogs!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Cheers mate.The world we live in unfortunately. Hopefully not long til it’s straightened out.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Well it has been a while since i have posted so a little bit of an update.

I managed to pick up some vn heads and a banana manifold to play with nice and cheap. I always wanted to try my hand and porting heads. It has been very interesting to say the least it is defiantly an art.

I have also upgraded the springs ready for the supercharger upgrade i have ordered plus the usual things new seats seals etc.

While that was off getting put together i wanted to play with the manifold, now i know some peoples thoughts on the banana manifold with restriction and heat but i want to keep the original look. So out came the grinder and off went the front section.

I then ordered a new 92mm throttle body to mount straight out the front as i am now running an intercooler so thought i would make it easier with pipes etc.

I then went about making up a plug make sure everything lined up once installed. This isn’t as easy as i thought there is a lot to take into consideration. Fuel lines radiator hose bonnet clearance. Once i was happy with it i took it off to a local fabricator for the hard part.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I have now got it back and started fitting up everything. Running a custom throttle cable, modifying the engine cover to fit and making sure everything has enough clearance.

And last of all with everything all done ready for paint and installation.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of HDN05L HDN05L.
    Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Thats mint mate!! Its going to be forced induction yea?

Finally a banana mod that doesnt look like done by a blind man

munch munch ls1s for lunch
    Best 1/4 mile 13.1@105mph 60ft-1.8sec Reaction time .8 sec 0/100-4.8sec

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thats mint mate!! Its going to be forced induction yea? Finally a banana mod that doesnt look like done by a blind man

Yea it is currently running a sc without intercooler but now that i want to run a cooler for ease of piping and less restrictions decided to front mount the TB.

The sc is getting a new billet impeller and bearings to bring on the power starting around 2500rpm.

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Not interested in the come manifold?

Mate as much as people knock the bananas for forced induction the down falls they have with NA applications are pretty much void by the fact its getting air forced down its throat.  Not to mention still looks stockish apart from blower on the side lol :yahoo:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Beautifully crafted piece of work mate, look forward to seeing how it goes.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Nicely done,will look tidy once finished.For a few more dollars extrude honing would make it a decent manifold that looks better than stock.Depends on how far you want to go with the banana’s.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Extrude honing is pretty pricey from memory about $900ish for bananas.

Stock banana’s will make 6-700hp boosted.

Az was running 9’s in his VL 355/T banana manifold.

Marzella on this forum should be on target for the same power.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Extrude honing is pretty pricey from memory about $900ish for bananas.

Wow,didn’t think it cost that much.No wonder it’s not seen that often.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah i did look into it and Cava is spot on $900. Not really interested in.spending that type of $$$.

Just looking at water/meth injection kits at the moment. Weighing up intercooling pipes holes blah blah blah or meth injection for probaby a better result.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Bananas biggest flaw with boost is head soak.

i wouldnt go anything less then a cooler.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Bananas biggest flaw with boost is head soak. i wouldnt go anything less then a cooler.

Wouldnt running meth injection cure some of the heat soak issue?

Profile photo of Slow355
    Slow355
    Participant

Yea but isnt meth injection a pain in the ass? Cooler just get in it drive it etc, more of a prick to fit etc but worth it in long run.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Bananas biggest flaw with boost is head soak. i wouldnt go anything less then a cooler.

Wouldnt running meth injection cure some of the heat soak issue?

It won’t cure heat soak but will help with IAT.

Cooler is your best bet.

VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Both W/M and A2A will do a good job of reducing inlet temps but only one will give you a 110+ octane rating.It’s the spray’s ability to prevent/eliminate knock that persuaded me to install this system over a traditional intercooler set up.It has other benefits as well but this was the main reason for my choice.Iron heads,10.1 comp and boost on pump fuel was going to be a balancing act to control detonation,especially i wanted to add some timing.I’m not against A2A,i have it on my daily,works great and wouldn’t change it ,but my 355 ute hasn’t been built for boost and W/M will work best for this engine in my opinion.

Pros and cons of W/M vs A2A:

PRO

* Ability to run more boost on higher comp with more timing with pump fuels.

* No reduction of boost/better response without intercooler core and piping.

* Same results every time. Intercooling isn’t affected by ambient temps, road speed or engine load.

* Lower EGT’s(high boost)

* W/M ratio changes to suit application or engine type e.g. rotary.

* Better air flow to radiator.

*  Steam cleaning of valves,piston crowns etc

* Better weight distribution.(Car dependent)

* Can be removed and re installed on next car.

CON

* Maintenance required e.g. filling of tank,cleaning of filters etc.Replacement of parts long term.A2A is set and forget.

* Some sort of fail safe required if pump fails or nozzle blocks.Stops engine rebuild.

* Even distribution to all cylinders.

* Can be a more involved install depending on kit’s supplier.

* Ongoing cost of buying Meth and distilled water.

* Keeping and handling of meth and storing it at home.

Costs are pretty even due to entry level W/M kits and Chinese intercooler cores available.

Good dyno tune will make or break either set up.

Hope this helps you in choosing the right system for your ute.No bad choices here.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Wow you read my mind, vs 355 ute i was going to pm you pretty much what you have written with pros and cons. Appreciate you taking the time to write it up.

Im leaning towards either Snow or Aem w/m injection. Im looking at what fail safes they both offer and the snow seems to intergrate easier with a fall back tune which i can store in my ems should the system fail.

My biggest concern was cutting up the bay to run the cooler. Even if i go w/m i can still add a cooler later.

Cheers

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You don’t have to cut the bay to run a cooler…

Id personally go e85 and cooler over meth.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 251 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.