HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVs Ute 383 Stroker in the build.

This topic contains 249 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giddo95 Giddo95 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I know this isn’t really where this convo is heading, but I personally find the relative complexity of inter cooling etc off putting.  Every joint or transition is just another place for a failure.  And sure maybe you don’t have to cut the bay but there sure ends up to be a fair bit of plumbing in there.  And E85 is fine if either its available close buy or you are happy pumping outta drums.  Cut to comments about Gary being a dinosaur I know….

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Its very much each to own I suppose.

I simply like the ease of A2A, once cooler is on that’s it is done. Meth you have to constantly mix a solution, make sure it’s topped up etc. always have it on hand for big drive etc etc.

It’s more a track orientated thing IMO. Which lets be honest is the only place your going to care about MAX effort HP.

Ive looked into water/meth but I’ll wait to see how my IAT’s are before I jump on board with it.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think Pete is going to run it on his Manta isn’t he, be interesting to see how that that all goes.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

It would be interesting to see how he goes with his setup.

At least with his come manifold he wouldn’t get as much heat soak as the bananas.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Wow you read my mind, vs 355 ute i was going to pm you pretty much what you have written with pros and cons. Appreciate you taking the time to write it up. Im leaning towards either Snow or Aem w/m injection. Im looking at what fail safes they both offer and the snow seems to intergrate easier with a fall back tune which i can store in my ems should the system fail. My biggest concern was cutting up the bay to run the cooler. Even if i go w/m i can still add a cooler later. Cheers

No problem,you need as much info as you can get before making a decision.Snow would be my choice from those two kits.

Profile photo of VS 355 UTE
    VS 355 UTE
    Participant

Its very much each to own I suppose. I simply like the ease of A2A, once cooler is on that’s it is done. Meth you have to constantly mix a solution, make sure it’s topped up etc. always have it on hand for big drive etc etc. It’s more a track orientated thing IMO. Which lets be honest is the only place your going to care about MAX effort HP. Ive looked into water/meth but I’ll wait to see how my IAT’s are before I jump on board with it.

A2A is always going to be the best choice if you don’t like maintenance and on going costs.As mine is a ute ,i had the opportunity to have a 20 litre tank($35.00 to fill at 50/50),and should last month’s of weekend driving and no need for fill ups on track days.Long drives would  be fine unless you plan on being on boost to get there,off or low boost there’s  no spray.A small tank capacity  would be a pain long term.

I agree about e85 and cooler,if you could get it at most servo’s it’s the go…..sadly it’s unavailable  around where i live and hard to find on a journey.Worse than having a tank of w/m in my opinion.Flex sensor would fix that but would need a compatable ECU. I also had the problem of the reduced air flow and additional heat to a marginal cooling system.

I think Pete is going to run it on his Manta isn’t he, be interesting to see how that that all goes.

Manta has good IAT’s ,so spray wouldn’t have a big impact on that.Would benefit if  timing and boost were increased.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of VS 355 UTE VS 355 UTE.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

ok so after some long thinking i decided to go with A2A intercooler first then if i want to i can add some W/M injection later on.

I researched and spoke with a few people who said to go higher  instead of wider for the cooler.I have actually gone with a cooler for a FG falcon it is 500h x 450w x 55 thick.

All i had to do was remove the AC thermo fan and it fitted without any cutting.

I can even still run AC. The cooler sits no lower than the front bar so nice and stealthy.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Just need to spray it black and it will disappear nicely.

Profile photo of dazedv3
    dazedv3
    Participant

What is the reasoning behind going higher rather than wider or is it just a case of having it fit nicer?

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

From what is was told it promotes better drop in temps and less loss in psi.

But to be honest they all do the same thing i just wanted the biggest i could get without cutting the car up.

Profile photo of dazedv3
    dazedv3
    Participant

Fair enough, looks the goods anyway.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

only problem with a taller intercooler is you cover more of the radiator and restrict the airflow through it aswell as it’s cooling capabilities, I had 76mm pwr cooler about the same size as what you’re running on yours and had all sorts of trouble keeping engine temps down, it was fine when cruising but in traffic it would get a bit warm, even the massive spal thermo fan on it couldn’t keep it cool, until I changed to a shorter 100mm thick intercooler which exposed more of the radiator to fresh air and made it run alot cooler mind you I was running 20psi so it had a fair bit of heat to cool aswell

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

forgot to mention the air con condenser was removed from my Calais to help keep it cool and it had a 4 core A.R.E radiator in it aswell

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah those issues had crossed my mind doz10 .

I ran it around last summer with the air con on and it was very stable even even on the 40 deg days.

The 18″ thermo i have seems to handle it well. If all else fails i have 2 other sizes of intercooler i can put in.

Profile photo of doz10
    doz10
    Participant

you might be fine with that setup then 05L mine was running pretty hard the poor old girl

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Wow that does fit really nicely in there though, looks made for it.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Good choice on the A2A mate. That fits perfect.

FYI the closer you can have the back of the A2A  to the radiator the better. It creates less of a low pressure area between the 2 cores.

Most people have the a2a sit further forward which creates a turbulent area.

What you have done should work mint.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks fellas i have just finished putting the new heads and intake manifold back in.

Biggest pain was the custom accelerator cable i made up which runs through the centre of the intake manifold to keep it neat.

Tomorrow’s job is run the intercooler pipe and move the purge solenoid out of the road.

just did a quick mock up of the piping for drivers side.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Finally got all the pipes run today and drilled each side of the bay to fit in a v band clamp just to finish it off cleanly.

Everything will be powder coated black same as the engine covers.

The overall work wasn’t to hard just a bit time consuming making everything line up.

Ended up just trimming the bottom of the front bar but it cannot be seen because of the front lip.

Now i just need to plumb in the BOV and air filter off the charger.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking mint mate.  :wink:

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 251 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.