HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVs Ute 383 Stroker in the build.

This topic contains 249 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Giddo95 Giddo95 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

This just happened.

One step closer to getting the garage setup.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Awesome!!!

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi Guys i wanted to get some advice on the right way to run a catch can setup for my new motor. It wont be vented so wanted to see what advice people might be able to offer.

I know you had a setup on you stroker years ago Cava so just wanted to understand more about the right way to run the lines off the valve covers to a either a single can or 2 singles and where i should then run the return line to get the best results.

The new motor has a 4 barrel efi throttle body on top of the torque power manifold.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Why don’t you want to go vented?

I just had the rocker covers and valley breather running to the one catch can.

Drain was just a plug which I tipped into the sink lol.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

I was under the impression, not venting it would keep it some what legal. :unsure:

When you had your canister you ran seperate lines to the catch can. Did you run a vacuum line off that at all?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was under the impression, not venting it would keep it some what legal. When you had your canister you ran seperate lines to the catch can. Did you run a vacuum line off that at all?

Legal it will be. But the venting will somewhat be hampered. I never run a vac line to it.

Fully vented.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Venting to the atmosphere isn’t emissions legal.  You can run the set up like factory, where it is taken back into the inlet tract and burnt by the engine, and it won’t be vented and it will work – sort of.  The issue is all engines at high revs making power get some blow-by.  You will reach a point where the internal system cant keep up.  Then you run the risk of building up pressure in the crankcase from the blow-by and blowing a seal, gasket, whatever.

I know IJ has a system, but imo the simplest I have seen is what I am going to do and I copied off the Paramount Brock VC drag car that’s going around that’s “legal”.  Basically, run a regular vented catch can like normal but with a pipe back into the inlet tract.  But you have two caps for it.

One is the regular vented one, the other is a solid cap to seal it off.  The idea is on the street you run the solid cap, and it’s perfectly legal.  On the strip or whatever you run the vented cap which copes with the blow-by.  My thoughts are if you happen to “forget” to remove the vented cap on the street, it would be a prick of a cop who wouldn’t let you explain the error, and pull the fixed cap out of your glovebox and fit it…

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks Gary, sounds like a good way to do it. Like everything its only an issue IF you get pulled over. I would be interested to see how you do it on yours when the time comes.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

No probs.  I am toying with mine, as it sits I have the legal internal system hooked up with the elite catch can.  Then I also have a big ass feed from the passenger side rocker cover into a regular catch can that’s relatively hidden. I might just make up a solid cap for it and leave it in the glove box.  I think whatever I do the first cop that pops my bonnet is going to have a kitten.  It will just be from then on, given I have the report, etc. if they choose to be a dick about it or let me go. And that’s anyone’s guess.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Thanks Gary and Cava for the tips. I have gone vented for now and will look at a closed system if the time comes.

Profile photo of Giddo95
    Giddo95
    Participant

Bloody awesome build and a very informative read. Really nice touch with the interior and keeping the stock bananas look 😎

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Viewing 11 posts - 241 through 251 (of 251 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.