HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVS Commodore Exec Series 2 "5.0lt Roller Motor Fitted"

This topic contains 89 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

thought it was my laptop not displaying stuff right, makes it a bit difficult to read

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

I’m sure our friendly admin lady or mods will be able to sort it out.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good ol bloody Cav, stuffing up the forum again lol. Fixed it for ya :good:

Immortality
    Participant

Cheers

Out of curiosity, who are the mods?

I know Georgie is our friendly admin but know little else.  Maybe a thread in the  Admin/Feedback section explaining who’s who might help a little.

Maybe also a category in the members section for mods/admin and something under the user name just to make things easy etc.

Please remove this post if it’s cluttering this awesome thread.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Good ol bloody Cav, stuffing up the forum again lol. Fixed it for ya

thanks mate

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

there was a disturbance in the force.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

FYI. only positive to the reverse cowl was my pizza tray. Other then that it was rubbish. Can’t stand cars with them.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s interesting, I’ve been tuning a mates 355 with a baby cam and banana manifold. When originally tuning it with the standard fuel pump and 34lbs injectors we didn’t have enough fuel pump, even now with a high flow pump fitted we are pushing the injectors a fair bit which is odd as they should flow more than enough for the potential HP it’s making. Yep, heat soak sucks. Sitting in the staging lanes at Meremere were seeing intake temps up to 90°C (ambient in the mid 20’s), they come down a bit once it gets moving but is a lot of heat and it’s got to be costing HP. Best run on that day was when he completed one pass, drove back around and fairly much straight away was up staging again and it didn’t get a chance to heat soak between runs. I kept a bonnet of our old VS we crapped, figured I’d maybe run a DP type manifold with a small drop base filter for day use and then a taller filter with a hole in the spare bonnet if I ever take it racing. I don’t think a bonnet scoop would look quite right on the Senator. cava, what did you do with your last post? It’s stuffing up the page layout.

both my mates VS and mine Run a Walbro intank Pump, well mine will soon. Just gotta fit it

i think the K&N XStream air filter kit i used was 66-3040- but i’ll have to check for sure, that came with a 3″ filter (78mm), then i bought a E-3740 replacement element which is 2 5/16″ (59mm) to buy a bit more space, and sold the 3″ element off

Immortality
    Participant

Yeah, cheers for that.

I’m fairly keen to do the swap but it’s not a cheap option been in NZ, by the time I have all the parts together I’m probably looking at NZ$2-2.5K   :-(

The filter is probably the cheapest part.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s a $1500-2k exercise here if you go new. Troll the web for a complete 2nd kit.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah i picked up the filters both cheap off ebay, but besides that paid about $1800 for the throttle body and Manifold, thottle body was $770 through Torque power, but there a billet unit main in Melbourne, manifold was $1100-1200ish

Immortality
    Participant

That is a nice billet throttle body unit indeed.  I think you can get a slightly cheaper unit from Summit in the US.

BTW, it doesn’t look like it has any vacuum ports/fittings (which you will need).

I do keep an eye online but haven’t seen anything unfortunately :-(

edit:maybe it’s time I start accumulating parts, might have to have a chat with my US import guy.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

That is a nice billet throttle body unit indeed. I think you can get a slightly cheaper unit from Summit in the US. BTW, it doesn’t look like it has any vacuum ports/fittings (which you will need). I do keep an eye online but haven’t seen anything unfortunately edit:maybe it’s time I start accumulating parts, might have to have a chat with my US import guy.

http://www.crdengineering.com.au/

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/efi/tb-universal.shtml

mine was made by C.R.D but my mate bought a Edelbrock one, but it still cost him  $650-700ish, then when i ordered my manifold Craig at torque powered asked me if i needed a throttle body, i wasnt in a rush but when he said the price i kinda jumped at it, seemed like a good deal

it does have 3x 1/8 BSP vacuum ports on the back of the throttle to, just havent taken a photo of that

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Fitted a heap of stuff the last few weeks, had the stock transmission pan modded to fit a drain plug in it and a 1/8  fitting for the Trans Temp Gauge.

Changed the rocker covers to another stock set i had without -8 fittings, fitted all the PCV lines, Purge Solenoid and remaining charcoal canister lines

fitted both oil pressure switches

just fitted the radiator a few days ago- almost finished mounting the thermo fan on the radiator, Falcon one again instead of the clutch fan, but went with a Single FG one instead of the Twin AU ones it had before

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Awesome build. Great that you stuck with the standard colour. Looks fantastic and it’s pretty unique now because there’s just about none left. Haven’t seen a VS in this colour on the road for years!

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks, that’s the exact reason i kept it the factory colour

some more pics

first 2 are of the engine about a month or so ago, note the rocker covers were changed back to the unmodified factory type.

third photo is of the transmission drain plug.

last 2 photos were taken tonight, almost finished off fitting the thermo fan,  finished fitting the thermostat housing and both radiator hoses.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok well sorted a few issues out, have removed all of the Autometer Nexus gauges that were in and replaced them with Autometer Sports Comp, i’ll try and see if i can get the Nexus gauges tested if they dont cost too much so i can sell them and try and recoup some of the cash as they were around $1100, just have to finish putting the dash back together

Thermo fan is all fitted but had a few occasion’s when the fan blows the fuse for the low speed fan as i have it wired to trigger off the factory wiring for the fans, so i will try and sort it out this week probably wire it similar  to how i had it when i was running the AU falcon twin fans

have also booked it in for a tune in a bit over a week, so will finish the above off this week

also have got some VS Berlina Series 2 door trims to replace the VS Statesman series 3 door trims

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice to see progress mate.

Immortality
    Participant

Looking good, I’m using it as my inspiration :-)

One thing that has always bothered me about the VS bay is the giant ABS module and the brake hard lines which makes it harder to change those spark plugs.  I was intending to replace my hard lines between the master cylinder and ABS module so they sit more towards the guard like they do on the later model commodores and then I got thinking, would it be possible to use a later model ABS unit which is much smaller?  That would be cool.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I originally intended to move the ABS where the battery normally as my battery is in the boot,  i can only just get the spark plugs and leads on, im sure the later model ABS modules run setups so they will have different computers to suit, i can see alot of errors coming up if you try that.

i have the Fuel reg bolted above the dizzy, i have spotted one fitted off the Brake booster bracket but again if i mount it there its going to cover the gap that i use to get the back plugs and leads on

come’s down to compromise

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.