HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVN – VP – VR – VSVS Commodore Exec Series 2 "5.0lt Roller Motor Fitted"

This topic contains 89 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 7 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Profile photo of MuntedL98
    MuntedL98
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks good mate, What colour are you going to paint it?
    Makes me miss my first car, a VS Executive, not quite as flash as this though ! :good:

Profile photo of MuntedL98
    MuntedL98
    Participant
    Supporter

Scratch the colour question, i missed page 2 !
    looks smiiiiick !

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

yeah i kept it the original colour which is Heather frost, not very common and theres just something about it. especially now that the paint is fresh,  hope to have it back early this week so i can start reassembling it.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Looks awesome. Love the look of fresh paint. Now the hard part of not scratching it when putting it together. Who did the paint job?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

hopefully i dont mark anything, i have a few blankets to cover the engine bay when i start to put it back together.

Got it painted by a Customer at my work (works from home)

I had a bad run with big paint and panel shops so thought i’d try smaller one person business, paint work is very good, has been painted over a week now, but he has been polishing it up, rear SS Skirt now fits correctly and same with the S Pack Spoiler.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

well got it back about 4 weeks ago, started refitting everything, so all the Glass is back in, and door assembly’s are back together, got a brand new Parcel shelf for it. Carpet and seats are back in. and finally got around to fitting my Autometer Gauges, into the radio Surround.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

well still getting there slowly, been a slow month

managed to finish painting the brakes, and refitting them the last week or so, also fitted up new front rotors and pads at the same time.

Also fitted up another K frame that i had Cleaned up and re-powder coated, and replaced both tie rod ends, due to one being cross threaded while it was apart

next is to fit up a new transcooler which i picked up this week and refit all my Air Conditioner Lines

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Really neat gauge install buddy, looks factory, cars looking great.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking really good mate. Simple with tasteful mods and super clean

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

well most of the driveline is back together, had a few issues with extractor fitment and a issue with one of the transmission line fittings that i had intended to use rather than that stock Alloy hardline.

I fitted the Aeroflow ones, bolted the transmission completely in and realized i wouldn’t be able to get a fitting on the top line. So went to remove them and put the stock brass fittings back in, well one came out fine the second one snapped clean in the housing, so had to pull the trans back out, then managed to snap the ezy out too, i  gave up at that point and dropped it off at the transmission place i had it built at, he removed the broken ezy out and fitting, and replaced them with the originals, didn’t charge much could of been alot worse, but its all back in now.

I’ve been bolting in everything back in, modified a VT 5lt power steering pump bracket so the power steering pump now has a tensioner pulley too. Nick dropped off a new Dayco overflow bottle a few weeks ago, refitted my strut bracket mounts, and mounted the Fuel Reg and plumbed most of the fuel lines in the engine bay.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

That’s coming together very nicely.

How are you for bonnet clearance with that intake combo,  I’m going to assume you are using a drop base filter?

Who built the short block, I’m sure I’ve seen pics of that elsewhere?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i Had the Engine built by Rhemac here in SA, was a few years ago, but only just got the chance to fit it this year, was a compete engine not just a short motor, pics of the motor have been around on a few forums

i am running a K & N X-stream drop base brought it with a 3″ filter, which fitted but i then changed the filter to an slightly shorter one just to give me a bit more clearance

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

You will fit it in under no worries. I was very close to getting my Single Plane under

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Immortality
    Participant

I’m looking to do a similar conversion on my Senator, one part of me wants to keep it original (banana’s) but that manifold really limits what you can do with it.

Good to know something like a TP manifold with drop base filter will fit without having to cut the bonnet.  Having said that, I do have a spare bonnet for just that contingency.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah, I actually didn’t want a single or dual plane type manifold, wanted to keep it stock looking so I bought a Starr Manifold,if you flick through the photos you will see it was the original manifold that I had fitted to the new engine

A mate of mine built a very similar spec engine, still a 355 like mine but a VS Block with a crane 286. He had the same intention of keeping it stock looking, So he also bought a Starr too.
    He got his VS on the road first, so he got it retuned first and the Starr Manifold was ok but the Heatsoak was the major issue with tuning it, he got told by the tuner to either, put very large injectors, which still may not work, or change the manifold

so he changed the manifold, to the type above too, kept the injector he had, which were LS1 injectors.

If I really had to, I would of run a Camaro reverse cowel like Cava had on his old VR. But I’m not really a fan of scoops though

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Immortality
    Participant

That’s interesting, I’ve been tuning a mates 355 with a baby cam and banana manifold.  When originally tuning it with the standard fuel pump and 34lbs injectors we didn’t have enough fuel pump, even now with a high flow pump fitted we are pushing the injectors a fair bit which is odd as they should flow more than enough for the potential HP it’s making.

Yep, heat soak sucks.  Sitting in the staging lanes at Meremere were seeing intake temps up to 90°C (ambient in the mid 20’s), they come down a bit once it gets moving but is a lot of heat and it’s got to be costing HP.

Best run on that day was when he completed one pass, drove back around and fairly much straight away was up staging again and it didn’t get a chance to heat soak between runs.

I kept a bonnet of our old VS we crapped, figured I’d maybe run a DP type manifold with a small drop base filter for day use and then a taller filter with a hole in the spare bonnet if I ever take it racing.  I don’t think a bonnet scoop would look quite right on the Senator.

cava,  what did you do with your last post?  It’s stuffing up the page layout.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Immortality Immortality. Reason: speeling
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

No idea lol it’s cooked mine also

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.