This topic contains 83 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Summers
    Summers
    Participant

Loving the diy attitude with the rotisserie keep it up. There are a few blokes on here thst have done the ls route in 1st snd 2nd gens so anything you get unsure on just ask im sure between us all you will get some options.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Summers Summers.
    Profile photo of rayray07
    rayray07
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thanks mate, a lot of the members on here have help me out a heap already. This is why I started a build thread so hopefully I can do the same for the next bloke.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>Anyway, a bit of an update. The aftermath of trying to remove the broken Exhaust bolt ended in 4 broken easy-outs and then I drilled through to the water jacket. So, the heads are now off at the machine shop getting repaired and now ive decided to have the heads reconditioned and upgrade the valvetrain. Going to chuck in morel tie-bar lifters, Pac-1219 valve springs, rocker trunion kit and chromoly push rods, also will be shaving 020″ off the heads to bump the pressure up a little. Plan will be to throw in a VCM 12 camshaft with a decent timing chain set once it’s engineered and on the road.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”>I got a heap of stuff from summit racing this week.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left;”></p>

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^you just gotta love it when a box of bits arrives, its like Xmas all over again :good:

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

hey bud when you talk about summit is that the oz store or us  cheers

rayray07
    Participant

Hey mate, it’s the US Summit Racing. I didn’t even know there was an Aussie one. I have bought most of my gear from there. Even with the postage cost and currency conversion, I’ve found most of the gear is still a heap cheaper than here.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

With current conversion rate it should be cheaper locally.

Get et onto Precision International. They are very good.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

With current conversion rate it should be cheaper locally. Get et onto Precision International. They are very good.

Yep ask to speak to Adam Wickson, top guy to deal with and is bloody knowledgeable about all things LS….

rayray07
    Participant

Yeah, I have bought a few things from precision international before and I do highly recommend them when buying locally. Everything I bought from summit racing I compared costs to buy here for every item and I ended up saving almost $600 on my last purchase. However, There were a few things that didn’t work out cheaper. I just spent another $700 on summit today, which to buy here was going to cost me just under $900. Every purchase I’ve made through summit have only taken 4-5 days to get here too. But as I said, depending on what you’re chasing, not everything works out cheaper.

rayray07
    Participant

I’m starting to think about Exhaust system for my build now and looking for advice on which is the best way to go about it. Now, it is going to be a sleeper and don’t want to attract to much attention. I actually want it to be as quiet as possible (just let it sing a little under WOT), but not restrict it too much. I don’t know if they go hand in hand or not, I’m no expert on exhaust systems. I don’t know how to sort of tie it in with the big 4 into 1 headers too.

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Bought all my Holley Dominator ECU from JEGS. Saved over $1000 even after a import tax.</p>

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Is this being engineered, do you have to comply with the exhaust dB limit?  That will make a big difference to what you do, well it did with me.

rayray07
    Participant

Yeah mate, going for full engineers. Will maybe be looking at modifying original cats to fit as well, to avoid emissions testing.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Def speak to engineer (if you haven’t already) about the exhaust and the emissions.  Passing the IM240 can be a pita, even relatively modern cars off the factory floor may be borderline.  If you can avoid the emissions test do it for sure.

With the exhaust, I take it your car is made after June 1983?  if it is you need to keep under 91 dB @ 3,300 rpm.  Which with mine was bloody hard.  I assume you have seen this post I did on this? http://www.commodoresplus.com.au/forums/topic/passenger-car-exhaust-limits-test-procedure/

rayray07
    Participant

Thanks mate, Yeah I’ve had a few discussions with him about it. He says, if I run standard cats from that motor, then I don’t need to go for emissions testing and if I adapt standard air box, I don’t need to do drive-by noise testing. Only brakes test and noise testing. Again, I’m not overly concerned about having a loud exhaust.  I’ve done a little research about people with their VE SSV’s running headers and high flow cats into the standard exhaust and making gains, but retaining the standard “exhaust noise”. So I was looking along the lines of copying the specs of the standard exhaust for that motor if it doesn’t seem to rob power.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Sounds like you are onto to the perfect plan imo.  Get it in, get it passed, get it legal, then if you want tweak it.  It will then be no more “illegal” than anyone with a VE who has changed the exhaust and cam :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Also need same emissions gear from the same vehicle the engine came from

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Also need same emissions gear from the same vehicle the engine came from

I assume you mean to not need to do the IM240?  In my case I have a VR charcoal canister hooked up via a Vy purge solenoid to the tank.  With my engineer he was more of the view as long as it achieved what the regs wanted he was cool with it.

rayray07
    Participant

Cava454, I’ve spoke to the engineer and hes happy as long I have some type of pollution gear fitted. I was actually going to do the exact same as VRSenator065. Any chance you could tell me how you went about it? Fitting it all up? Or where it is covered in your build thread? Cheers.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Sorry. I didn’t mean literally the same parts. But the emissions gear in general.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I used the VY purge solenoid, I think from memory on my loom the plug for it was near the back of the inlet manifold.  It just plumbs in series to the charcoal Canister vacuum line.  Its just there so it only opens when the engine is running and there is vacuum.  I don’t seem to be able to find it in my thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.