HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Have seen one fitted with Carrera 4 running gear…

just sayin..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Have seen one fitted with Carrera 4 running gear… just sayin..

Already have one fire breathing monster, this one is all about reliability and cool factor :cool

Hot again today, but more progress.  Unfortunately have to head back to work a week early, so this week we will see the end of the daily assault.  Happy with progress so far though.

So turned it around on the hoist  and time to tackle the long side.  Started by cutting out where was rotten, then marked up a couple of options and asked Cooper what he thought, he came up with a modified idea of my two options which made more sense (Dohh).  While I was waiting to hear from him also started on the battery tray area.  Got the long side mocked up and done a very rough trial fit.  Seems to fit really well each end, so I dont think I am up for any funky mods which is good.  Few pics for posterity.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Long side pretty much done, def feel i am getting better particularly at prepping then welding.  The cut was pretty ordinary initially and varied in gap width.  So I hit on the idea of using a 2.5mm wide cutting disc,.  I clamped it so the widest gaps were 2.5, then went along with the 2.5 cut.  Then released it all and closed it up 1.5, leaving me a pretty good 1mmgap.  Worked pretty well.  In hind sight maybe should have tacked or tek screwed the new long side on, then marked it cut through both with a 1mm cut off disc, but live and learn.  Might move on to the battery tray area, and see if I can get the other rear corner on by the time I go back to work.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Walteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr    just had too B-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Walter approves!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Never got a chance to post yesterday, but have to say, as a namby pamby office boy, I am officially stuffed!!  This is tiring work!!  Wanted to get the other rear comer done before I head back to work.  That meant fitting the battery tray and also making up a replacement repair for the lower part of the column.   My favorite tool is now without doubt the stretcher/shrinker.  Have had it for a while but never got the hang of using it until now, how cool is it!!  This time I butt welded it, definitely ends up better but ran out of time to finish off the welds.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

awesome work Gary ,these S&S are a great tool I was impressed  when I first used them aswell and how fast you can become quite good at it , I mounted mine on a plate facing away from each other then mount the plate on a stand or a vice then you don’t have to change, just need to make foot pedal for it  if I get a chance I’ll put a photo up , but great work again

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

awesome work Gary ,these S&S are a great tool I was impressed when I first used them aswell and how fast you can become quite good at it , I mounted mine on a plate facing away from each other then mount the plate on a stand or a vice then you don’t have to change, just need to make foot pedal for it if I get a chance I’ll put a photo up , but great work again

That would be great mate.  I was actually half thinking of welding up a 100×100 post with top and bottom plates, and mounting a vice on it.  Then dyna bolting that to the shed floor.  Then I was thinking I could use that for my little break press, the shrinker/stretcher or sheet roller.  And have some sort of place to hang whatever is not being used behind it.  But would love to see how you set up a foot press.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That’s me done for this holiday break.  Really happy with the progress, learning heaps as I go.  At the start of the break the plan was to give the project a kick along, but also to get me back into the swing of the resto.  Think I have nailed both.  Just waiting on a few little bits to arrive and pieces then its onto the nose.  Then that’s the main big items done, then tons of smaller repairs etc to come.  But that’s all part of the fun.  And importantly the customer is happy with me :thumbs-up:

Few pics of how its sitting, and a couple to show how it all started.

:cat:

Profile photo of

Looking fantastic Gary, well done!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks IJ

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary here are some photo’s of the s/s I have a stand that I bolt the vice to then just change out from the folder bead roller and s/s better than on a bench as you have more room around you depends on where you bolt stand to floor , have not made a foot pedal yet but once I have work shop I’ll make multiple stands for all the gear including the bench sander

20200118_184401 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

20200118_203959 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

20200118_204007 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

20200118_204016 by Frazer Russell[/url], on Flickr

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nice, my S/S is one unit with separate jaws I swap over.  On the weekend I was actually thinking of maybe a solid RHS frame around a metre long might be good then I could bolt all three along it, then there is no need to buy a vice and I can have all of them permanently bolted to them and available to use.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

You could just have one stand and have each one bolts to the stand with it’s own plate

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea that’s the other way, have them separate.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

A few more bits of the jigsaw puzzle that is Walter have arrived.  So might get a bit more done this weekend fingers crossed

Profile photo of vin
    vin
    Participant

wow nice work there and skills, its taking a good shape wish some of us could do that, I would luv to be able to do a hands on resto like that in a simple home garage.

Anyways say this for you and thought you might get a kick out of it if you haven’t seen it before, plus its got the nice ford colour you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqRQ4qV9cHk

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of Admin Admin.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^will log in as admin later and clean that up for you when I get chance :good:

Got a bit done today, heading off to an Aussie day BBQ at a mates so don’t have a full day.  Got the two lower long side verticals in.  Had a head scratch and thought if I made the join above the weld of the long side repair I could get to both side of that weld and get it finished off.  So did that, then Suesy got in the cabin and slowly ran a torch against the inside of the weld and I marked off with a texta anywhere there was a pin hole.  Then went along and sanded each area clean and touched up the welds.  Worked well. Then did my first panel beating try, and from the inside beat out where the weld was low, that seemed to pretty good once I worked out what I was doing.  So that’s the long side finished off for now, and the two verticals welded in.

Profile photo of

Coming along really well, on a project like this it doesn’t matter how much you get done just that it’s going forward, you’ll plateau soon and it’ll snowball and be done!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So true IJ at times it’s a bit overwhelming, but every hour is an hour closer to the finish .

Viewing 20 posts - 261 through 280 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.