HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bit more progress, made up a tricky little piece foe the front of the wheel arch.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

looking good Gary if you have more of this kind of stuff to do look into getting some stretcher and shrinkers

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks, I actually have a stretcher/shrinker, just dont know how to use it yet!!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Another “tip” is if you have a corner like on the patch panel I try to make it a radius so there’s not as much heat buildup in that area, helps keep the panel from Oil Canning as much..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks IJ.

Nice productive day.  Cooper popped around yesterday and gave me some good info and tips.  Very nice to have someone who knows these so well spend some time with me.  Decided to put down the welder for a while and make a start on the A Pillars and Nose area.  Carefully cut out the drivers side A Pillar, so many different pieces I was careful trying not to cut away the wrong part, so did it in small sections.  Then wanted to fit the front lower panel, very fiddly job removing whats left of the old mounts for it and cleaning back the welds etc on the ends of the chassis.  I am not removing the main floor so i just cut an access hole will do the same for the drivers side.  I have new floor sides each side going in.  But very exciting to mock it up roughly and start to see it taking some shape.  Happy Days :D

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Played around today with the A Pillar, Dogleg and door.  Have got it pretty close, not gapped properly but its certainly getting there.  Its very much about a tweak here and tweak there.  Looks like I have missed ordering the A Pillar support brackets.  Also hung the second cargo door and got the gaps on that pretty good I think for a beginner.  They close rally nicely too.  In two minds about the passenger door I have, I have the lower repair section, and I do have another door that’s pretty ordinary but surprisingly the inner lower section isn’t too bad.  So maybe I have a crack at building one out of the two.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thought I would turn my attention to the rear as it appears I’ve missed ordering the front lower inner valance A pillar reinforcement pieces.  I want to do as much as I can to this side before I end for end it and do the long side.

It had rust over the top louvre, I had a head scratch and thought I would have a go at repairing it rather than replacing too much.  Tricky little part (for me), carefully  cut it out, then used my little bench folder to make up a filler piece.  Worked really nicely.  I have a biggish piece of flat copper so put a fold in that so I could feed it in through the louvre to back up the weld, forgot to take a pic of that, but worked a treat.  Very happy all in all, now can do the corner, but have a personal matter tomorrow so no work on Walter.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Mate this is coming along really well. Are you enjoying the process? Have you ordered the missing parts?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, thanks, I am having a ball, its awesome fun.  I am learning heaps too.  I am waiting for the guy I bought the parts from to come back form holidays Monday.  I have lots to go on with in the mean time :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well as Monty Python once said “Its hot enough to boil a Monkeys bum out there”. Got a bit done this morning before the heat set in.

Removing what left of the old seam for the new corner.  Some rust in the lower opening of the rear window, so carefully deconstructed and cut that out.

Then the bottom of the inner vertical support had rust.  Actually funny only in the middle of it the edges seems sound.  Given you never see it once the corners on, made up a fill in piece, have cut the rot out, and will weld it in.

Tomorrows supposed to be way cooler, so will tidy it all up then weld it in.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thats some decent progress mate, coming along nicely. Do you have a deadline to get it done? Hows the storage shed going?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate.  Thanks, there is no timeline, sort of loosely thinking a couple of years, but it all depends on money. In particular getting the body finished and painted. We have decided that I am not doing that part, it’s just not something I enjoy or are good at.  Bit the main thing was to take this long leave over Christmas and give it a red hot crack at moving it along.  Have to say I am really pleased with myself, getting better all the time and having fun.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Much cooler today luckily.  Finished off the two repairs, really happy with how they turned out.  Played around with the corner, lots and lots of fettling to get it to sit anywhere near right.  Pretty happy with it at the moment but will tackle finishing and welding later.  But happy with the progress.  He is starting to look like a real bus  :yes:

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

He is starting to look like a real bus

funny how we call our cars names, he or she

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea agree, I dont name my cars, but def refer to them as he or she depending on how they are behaving at the time!  But this car is Suesy’s and she from day one wanted call it Walter and it sort of stuck.  Super happy with the progress so far, exactly what I wanted this holidays, to give the project a real kick along.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

One new corner repair done and dusted. Super happy with how it turned out.  Haven’t flattened the spot welds on the rear inside where the rear hatch goes, but can do that later.  Took my time to “massage” it to get all the seams to line up.  Definitely welding has so much to do with preparation.  If everything is clean, aligned and tight, the welds almost take care of themselves.  Time to turn it around on the hoist and tackle the long side.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

so much work involved good progress

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I know .I stand back and go great that’s done. Then see about 50 more jobs that need doing.  But slow and steady wins the race.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Yea I know .I stand back and go great that’s done. Then see about 50 more jobs that need doing. But slow and steady wins the race.

Can empathize 100% with this!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lol, I know right.  I think yours might be a little faster than Walter when it’s finished though IJ :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.