HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesNon-Commodore Rides1960 Split Window Kombi – "Walter"

This topic contains 436 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 438 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Jigs are important

second that

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And we have parts!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Much boxes…..christmas came early.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

you don’t do things by half do you

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

you don’t do things by half do you

I must admit that’s something I haven’t been accused of.  Mind you once or twice maybe have been accused of going a bit over the top :wacko:   :wacko:

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

whats the quality and fit of the panels look like?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Just been out and gone through it all Looks great quality.  But I guess I won’t really know fitment wise until I get into it.  Can’t wait though. Super excited. Bit of Christmas duty for the next couple.of days.  Then can start on it.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter
    That’s it for today, just too hot out there!! Got the old I beams off, lots of back and forth to hardware store to get set back up again, but really enjoying it. Took some helpful advice from someone on the Kombi forum and concentrated on using the new shift tube as the datum. Just took my time. Nothing is welded up yet, just clamped or temp screwed in place. Great to be back putting new sound metal back into it.. Happy days!!</span></span>
    <span data-offset-key=”6b959-0-0″> </span>
    <span data-offset-key=”69fkv-0-0″><span data-text=”true”></span></span>
    <span data-offset-key=”44ri9-0-0″><span data-text=”true”></span></span>
    <span data-offset-key=”3s21e-0-0″><span data-text=”true”></span></span>
    <span data-offset-key=”ch7kq-0-0″><span data-text=”true”></span></span>
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

wow huge rebuild

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hot again today, but sometimes you have days where you end up with a lot to show for your work like yesterday, then days like today which are a fiddle.  But got the welder out, the I Beams are tacked up in place.  Also started working on the B pillar, turns out I thought I had bought the assembled lower section of the whole pillar but I only got the “outer” whereas I also need the funky shaped inner as well.  Its a bit difficult when I have never done one before and a lot of it has rusted away.  But allowed me to dummy fit the cargo doors, so bit more progress and fun.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Insanely hot over here, so up at 7 to get an early start, too hot by 1pm.  Think I have sorted the side runner end detail, folded and welded it, have left the front end a little long but can trim that back.  Practiced a lot of plug welds and got the welding settings good I think.  Then went to the bus and very happy with how they all turned outs so the top hat section behind the drivers compartments is now fully welded.  Certainly gaining in confidence with my welds.  43 again tomorrow, so will do a morning again, but having fun.

Few pics

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

More progress, one pretty much fully welded floor area. Lots of (for me) difficult welds in weird and hard to get too places. Started out the day with my welds a bit ordinary, but got much better by the end.  I think its a cross between technique and settings.  But really starting to make some progress. Now I have something solid to build off of. Also with it cooling off a little, got a chance to do a bit of a shed and tool tidy up.  For some reason I hate working in a messy environment, when its clean and tidy, I just find it easier to work.  prob my OCD kicking in, but it works for me :wacko:

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

got a chance to do a bit of a shed and tool tidy up. For some reason I hate working in a messy environment, when its clean and tidy, I just find it easier to work. prob my OCD kicking in, but it works for me

I am completely the same I would get more done if I didn’t stop three or 4 times to clean up plus I hate walking in metal swarf yip ocd big time

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea just makes everything easier.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Great work.

I don’t think that operating in a tidy work space is so much ocd as it is common sense, esp with safety in mind.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Great work. I don’t think that operating in a tidy work space is so much ocd as it is common sense, esp with safety in mind.

There’s def that too.

I reckon I am calling it for today, thankfully way cooler.  Got the front longitudinal member welded in that goes under the cargo doors.  Then had to rebuild the lower part of the C pillar.  Shit fiddly job tbh.  Not super happy with the transition of how the old and new parts meet, but I think its just the nature of repro panels.  The main part I focused on was the channel shape around he door for the seal, pretty happy with that.  Door gap looks good.  Another one crossed off the list.  Happy new year all!!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got enough confidence to have a go at my first body repair.  Did the section behind the cargo doors.  They are not kidding when they say some replacement panels need to be “massaged” to the right shape!  It had to be aligned vertically with the door side, to keep that gap consistent, which meant it hung down at a few degrees at the back.  Bit of a head scratch and decided to tack it in aligned with the door, then put a slice in, rotate it up then slit it and re-weld.  Turned out well.  My welds were abysmal at first (even after heaps of test pieces) but by the end I was able to lay small spots that needed not much grinding.  Also went slow and steady to minimize heat build up and warpage.  Have ground it back maybe 80% but want to wait until Cooper comes over and gives me some advice on how to dolly it out a bit.  But all in all, happy days.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Looking good Gary, had my fill butt welding panels when I built the Wide Body 240z, just need to be patient, helps if you can get a dolly behind the weld and hammer it a bit flatter before grinding/sanding..

Not sure if you know about heat shrinking, really good skill to have, a panel beater mate showed me way back..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks IJ. I have watched some stuff on shrinking.  There is a guy up the road from me who is a guru on Kombi restos.  Unfortunately for me has gone away for a few days on holidays but when he gets back he is going to come give me some tips.  I sort of though maybe it’s better to do nothing now until he shows me so at least I don’t screw it up royally.  Btw that helmet is great .

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

One of those days with a lot of toiling over a small detail, but very happy with the result.  Rocker (sill) is fully welded, and the B pillar needed a lot of cutting and shutting, and fettling to get the shape right.  Only tacked in a couple of places at the moment.

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 438 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.