This topic contains 51 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Another build log for me to do write up.

Bought the beast Sunday arvo from a very good mate of mine, some of you in Adelaide may have seen this out and about before with the old plates CSESV8. My mate has owned this car for the last 5 years and it was time for him to move onto bigger and better things, so what better chance than now to buy a car that I know is in fantastic condition?

Name: Nick
    Model: 2002 VY SV8
    Colour: Close matching shades of red.
    Engine Type: LS1 5.7L V8
    Gearbox: Automatic
    Kilometers: 246,XXX
    Stereo: Pioneer 80PRS head unit.
    Audible Physics NZ3A wideband drivers in the A pillars.
    Morel Elate 6″ drivers in the front doors.
    Hertz HDP4 4 channel.
    All OFC power cable and speaker cable.
    (everything besides head unit to be installed).
    Modifications:
    HBD front lip, rear lip and side skirts.
    Hurricane 1 7/8″ 4 into 1 extractors.
    Hurricane high flow catalytic converters.
    Redback twin 2.5″ catback exhaust.
    Chrome angled exhaust tips.
    VCM alloy OTR air intake. painted satin black.
    VT 5.0L radiator (to delete garbage VY overflow and neaten up the engine bay).
    VY clubsport 330mm front and 315mm rear brakes.
    HBD J series wheels resprayed in Quicksilver Metallic 2 pack with Kumho 235/40/18 tyres.
    KYB front struts, rear shocks,FE2 springs front and rear.
    STP Gold sound deadening in the front doors, STP Silver sound deadening in the boot and Shok Mat sound deadening on the rear doors, parcel shelf and behind the seats.
    Roof lining re trimmed in Stinger dark grey with customised hump in the roof, all pillars trimmed in Stinger black material.
    Heavy duty tow bar.
    VYII Calais cluster installed and programmed, just need to sort out the fuel gauge issue.
    One of the first things I done after purchasing the car is put it on the dyno to see what power it actually makes. My mate never got a dyno sheet when he bought it (exhaust, intake and tune before he bought it) so I thought why not give it a go?
    I believe it makes pretty reasonable power considering the engine is all stock with standard LS1 noisy lifters. Tune looks to be a bit rich but Doug at Ampl Auto (another good mate of mine) said he could squeeze a bit more from the tune if I wanted. Not yet…  :-P
    Turns out the limiter has been increased to 6,500RPM on a stock engine, so far so good I guess  :thumbs-up:
    If you can’t read it, highest numbers were 217rwkw and 392rwnm.
    Video of it on the dyno.
    More pictures, the weather has been crappy for the start of the week so the car isn’t clean anymore, thanks Adelaide!
    Side shot.
    Clubsport brakes look like standard brakes with these wheels IMO.
    Plenty of satin black under the bonnet, there is 25mm thick heat insulation that rubs on the OTR and strut brace.
    Battery terminals cleaned up, the 0G cable is hydraulic crimped with lugs to the factory 4G runs in the loom not too far from the battery. It does not affect cranking power or voltage whatsoever.
    Interior shot.
    Some of the plastic trims have been painted gloss black and the rest of the center console has been wrapped in a dark brushed aluminum vinyl.
    Pillars are bare as I’m going to get my custom ones wrapped before installing in this car.
    HVAC, head unit, headlight switch and mode buttons have red LED’s.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Nick Nick.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of Nick Nick.
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Great name and great choice in colour of the car too. I might be biased though, lol. Welcome to the forum.

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

What is it with Nicks and red cars ?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Great name and great choice in colour of the car too. I might be biased though, lol. Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Nick, been on this forum for a little bit, it doesn’t have as much traffic so I don’t tend to check in as often.

What is it with Nicks and red cars ?

Maybe you should get a red car too!  :thumbs-up:

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

lol…..I’ve got red stripes…..does that count ?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant
    Over the last couple of weekends I have been servicing it, just taking it slowly as I haven’t worked on the LS1 platform before.
    Oil change was easy enough, used Nulon 10W40 again with a GM filter, replaced the fuel filter with a GM one as well, cleaned the air intake panel filter with the K&N spray and changed the spark plugs today.
    Only picture I took was of the spark plugs when I removed them, they are NGK PZT5RA plugs which are about 70,000KM old.
    They were replaced with AC Delco 41-805 plugs.
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Bit of an update,

Callum at AV-DC modified the VYII Calais cluster for me and installed some red LED’s behind the cluster needles and the LCD screens, I took a picture of it but it looks orange thanks to a phone camera.  :facepalm:

Bought two new Kumho KU27 tires for the rear as they were not legal. Tread wear rating of <b>600 </b>means they should last a while, not as much grip as the KU22’s on the front though, ASK ME HOW I KNOW :unsure:
    Over the Easter long weekend I made a trip from Adelaide to Warrnambool Thursday the 13th, a few small towns in Vic then Melbourne and back to Adelaide on my Birthday the 17th.
    On they way back I managed to make it all the way from my sisters house in North Melbourne all the way home and to work the next day, average economy was 8.9L/100km with frequent overtaking of numpties doing 80 in 100 and 110 zones.

Going to do another engine service next weekend along with the transmission as well as it is overdue.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Today I was bored and thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea doing a power steering fluid flush.
    The pump has been a bit noisy at full lock and getting a little heavy.
    I flushed through about 3L and took the car for a drive, steering is lighter and no more noise at full lock!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, never bothered to change ps fluid before tbh, might have to a go at some stage.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Here is a simple video on how to do it made by someone else!

As for this weekend, I changed the engine oil and filter. Nulon was on special and I still had 1L left over from the last service so I just used that.

The snake oil was on special as well, I’ve read people have used it and gotten good results so I may as well give it a go. The genuine filters are cheaper than aftermarket too.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

This weekend I finally serviced the transmission, my least favorite thing to service.
    The car is one of the very last series 1 that was built in 10/02 but it has the series 2 stepped transmission pan and deeper engine sump so I suppose that is a score!

Some supplies for the job.

This is what the pan looked like after draining the fluid, not a very nice sight!
    From my knowledge it hadn’t been serviced in over 5 years so it doesn’t surprise me.

That’s it for now, I’ll probably do the diff and bleed the brakes sometime soon and it will be all up to date!

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If your gunna bleed the brakes maybe drain and completely re fill the fluid

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Funny I have never changed brake fluid as in drain and refill on any car I have even owned.  Not saying you shouldn’t by the way!!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Every time I have bled the brakes I flush about 500mL through the system to make sure it’s really cleaned out.
    The fluid hasn’t been done in about 3-4 years and is a bit cloudy so it’s good timing to do it.
    Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s something that’s always neglected and over looked. 99.9% people just top it up.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

It’s something that’s always neglected and over looked. 99.9% people just top it up.

Looks like I’m the .1% then haha.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Thanks to Photobucket none of my build log pictures work along with many others. I’ll fix it soon.

Long time no update.
    The car has been sitting unregistered due to financial restraints so I’ve been driving my girlfriends AE92 Corolla.
    Now that she finally has her P plates I have to register the SV8 again, so I thought I’d flush the brake fluid and bleed the system.

Nothing but the best, for the best!

Looking a bit worse for wear. don’t know how old it actually is or what brand it was.

Nearly the whole litre flushed through with no air in the lines. Nice!

And a nice little exhaust leak I found when I started the bleeding process. Just need to tack it and she’ll be right.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Good to see it will be back in use, mate that’s a hell of a difference in colour on the brake fluid!!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Surprisingly the brake pedal feel was great with the crappy fluid. Now I don’t have to worry about it for another year or two!

I’ve gotta make some ramps up for the car, even with FE2 suspension it’s impossible to jack up without first putting the car on blocks of wood.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

knead it works surprisingly well on exhaust pinholes…tried it out on vp ute with rusted out factory exhaust.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.