This topic contains 51 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Went down south to a mates shed yesterday arvo and had the pin hole welded up, no change to the exhaust note which doesn’t surprise me.

Car is booked in to have the diff oil changed Tuesday, then that is all the fluids changed!

It’s more for peace of mind than anything, for all I know the fluid is the original stuff from 15 years ago.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

If you can and have been doing all the other oils your self, you will find the diff oil very simple to do by yourself.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I’ve done diff oil before. It’s just coming down to laziness.

The process of having to lift the car (even with FE2 suspension) takes 30 minutes to raise and another 30 minutes to lower from stands. Easier to pay the mechanic to do it!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

So, this happened!
    The photoshoot was done about this time last year when Callum went all out with the audio system. The boot floor is now on display with his demo board at the shop.

The full article is online and FREE!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Another update to add.

When I bought the car I wanted to add a series 2 black Calais cluster. I’m not sure if many people are familiar with GM’s great ideas but they changed the fuel level sender resistance to read the opposite way- meaning when I got the cluster installed and programmed, the fuel gauge read backwards (kind of)..
    I’d fill up the tank, it would go straight to empty and the fuel light would flash for a while. After using about 15-20L the gauge would quickly work its way up the the 3/4 mark and stay there for a while, then go to F with about 10L left in the tank.

After running out of fuel once and getting sick of it not working properly I bought a series 2 SS fuel pump and installed it this weekend.
    It is a very straight forward and easy process which takes about 1-2 hours if you haven’t done it before like me.

Tank removed, 3 straps, 4 bolts and removed the fuel filter.

Old and new pump assemblies are physically the same, besides the level sender resistance.

The rubber boot that is around the filler neck was already cracked, nothing zip ties can’t fix.

Full tank of 98, $100 later.. (don’t tell my Mrs that)!

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea nice work, not sure how I missed the post about the mag article, congrats!!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Thanks Sen, it’s the second car that Callum has built and had published.
    The first one was a 200SX a few years ago, can’t seem to find any pictures of it online though.

Edit: Found one of the many pictures but I can’t find the article online!

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Car was due for a service and I wasn’t able to do it at home because of my project car. Ignition barrel is 36 years old and just plain knackered so I couldn’t move the car. Ignition barrel took 9 hours in total to remove, which included extracting 6 security screws in the steering column, upside down and on an angle.

Bought some good quality drills for the job too!

Decided to try out the Penrite 10W50 oil, the lifters are definitely more quiet with the thicker oil.

While the car was on the hoist the mechanic was nice enough to let me have a look around properly under the car, then we found a *little* problem with the tailshaft center bearing..
    It’s completely detached from the rubber.
    Because of the vibration it has led to the transmission housing seal and diff pinion seals to weep fluids. 1 problem is now 3 problems.

The strut top mounts are pretty old and there is a distinct suspension knock, ordered some Superpro Polyelast mounts and they arrived today, mechanic will be fitting them next week some time then a wheel alignment straight after. All other bushes and ball joints are perfectly fine.

Last but not least, I decided to fix the OTR filter cover, it had 2 stripped self tapping screws holding the cover on, so I drilled out the holes and installed 3 M4 thread rivnuts.
    Much better.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Thanks!

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

Rivnuts are seriously the best invention ever. Good work on the car mate.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Renno Renno.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for rivnuts, like the nut version of cable ties for usefulness ha ha

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Woke up from a knock on my door this afternoon (I work night shift) from a mate of mine that lives around the corner to let me know somebody had side swiped my car while it was parked on the street.

The person left their details and they only live around the corner too,insurance will be sorting it out. Just one thing after another.

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Good of him to leave his number yesterday then change his story today.
    Police won’t let me file a report unless I have his registration number and address, which he won’t give me because he’s damaged the paint as well and doesn’t want his excess to rise.
    He has blocked my mobile number and there were no actual witnesses, so my insurance company won’t do anything either.
    I’m up shit creek in a barbwire canoe, if I want it fixed I’ll have to pay excess which I shouldn’t have to.

I know the street where he lives but I have no doubt he has either fixed it or parked it in the shed for a while.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

What is wrong with people these days…

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Surely the fact he left his details is enough justify that his admitted fault.

Call him from other numbers. Find the cunt.

Is a stat dec enough?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Found his Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and ABN number which isn’t connected to any business’ and a Gumtree of a car he sold 6 months ago outside of his house (showing the house number), which narrows it down to 1 of 31 houses on his street.
    I got all of that information in about 15 minutes using just his first name.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Boom.

Time to go door knocking. Just get all the information then send to your insurance. Then send a photo of his house to him on another number. When he calls just just voice record it and tell him you found him. Insurance has all his detail.

Tell him you knocked on some doors where it happened and found someone with footage of it. That will make his tone change.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

Insurance claim has been lodged. I have the registration of one of his 3 cars (not the one that hit mine), Shannons have been fantastic to deal with for the whole process.

The sooner he admits he done it and is at fault, the sooner it will be over.

Front and rear dash camera system was installed Tuesday afternoon after the accident, Blackvue DR750LW (first flagship model), 1080p front and rear cameras, GPS speed and location with a power magic pro for 24H recording while parked too.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Nice. Got a link to the dash cams?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.