HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Just bought the Super Pro kit off eBay. Pretty sure that puts me over budget once I add the motor, trans, CAE kit, and all the other stuff. But all that should put me in a pretty good position for the conversion, the only other thing that could cost a fair bit will be the diff, but I wont know what it’s like until I start on that end

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Could I entice you with the possibility of selling you some CAE ENGINE mounts?

Im considering changing to Tuff Mounts due to the xmember I purchased.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Could I entice you with the possibility of selling you some CAE ENGINE mounts? Im considering changing to Tuff Mounts due to the xmember I purchased.

Indeed you could. Have they been used before or just test fitted on yours?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Did 200 in the car I brought them off.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Price?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ll get back to you. Finding out if I have to change 100% first

Heron SSV
    Participant

No probs Cav.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Plans for the long weekend are to clear the engine bay of everything to start prepping for paint and to strip the front end suspension and k frame. Hopefully hear back about the converter tomorrow so I can get that and the gearbox ordered.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Converter has to Match your cam. So try  nut both in one.</p>

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cant cam it straight away as it wont pass engineering. Getting the converter built to suit a cam, the guy said it’ll still run fine but it wont quite get up to the planned stall speed on the stock motor, but wont be far off.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Finally got to turn a spanner on it today. Gave it a wash, came up pretty good for just a quick once over. Will probably look good with a decent cut and polish. Pulled the front end apart, got the brakes, suspension, k frame etc. all out. Have to take the k frame to a mates work to get some nuts undone as I couldn’t get them to budge. Anyhow, here’s some pics:

My pit crew:

Strut tops were cactus. The struts fell out when I jacked up the car

Got the k frame and all the other stuff out in one go:

Stripping out the rest of the bay tomorrow

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Friday was the most productive day. Yesterday I removed the booster (what a cnut of a job) and the front brake lines and a few other bits and pieces. Today I had to get a new back door for the garage cause the old one was warped so I spent the whole day painting and getting it ready to hang tomorrow morning. My mate whose painting the bay is coming round tomorrow to scope it out. Also gonna take the k frame and control arms to his work to pop out the bushes and undo a few bolts.

the more I pull apart the more I find to do. But I also found a VT master cylinder that the last owner threw in. Brand new, suppose that’s a win. Also got the old master cylinder and fuel reg, gonna try and sell me if I can, along with the original k frame and power steering rack.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Nice work.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Didn’t get any more work done on the VK over the last few days. Had to replace the back door to my garage as it had become warped and was hard to open. Who knew replacing a door would be such a prick of a job.

Just ordered a heap of stuff from CAE for the conversion. Got the Pacemaker headers, mounts, starter relocation kit, flex plate, oil and temp sensors, internal fuel pump with filter and regulator, fuel line fittings, plus other bits and pieces.

Suppose I better look at what I can sell to free up some more cash  :hmm:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Superpro stuff has arrived

Heron SSV
    Participant

Final price on the box, converter and trans cooler is 5k. That’ll get underway tomorrow.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What did it inc mate?

Heron SSV
    Participant

TH400 rated to 1000hp, converter suited for NA motor, 4K stall speed from memory, bar and plate trans cooler with thermo fan, lines and wiring. Fair bit to spend but I know I won’t have to worry about it breaking. An extra 1200 would upgrade it to handle 1500hp. Trans brake was another grand

Box was 3750, converter was 950, cooler was 295. Shipping will put it just over 5k

Heron SSV
    Participant

Converter speed is 3800-4000, which should be fun.

On a good note, managed to increase the budget by a couple of grand which will help immensely with all the little things that will need doing.

Diff should be a 10 bolt Salisbury with LSD and 3.55 gears, not sure how that will go, hopefully do ok for the time being. Just gotta get under it to see if its still there from one of the previous owners (Ari from JC).

Heron SSV
    Participant

Went up to my mates work today where the motor is to pick up the harness, computer and pedal to send off to CAE. Took a happy snap while I was there:

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.