HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks mate, appreciate the compliments. Dont have pics of the radiator yet, the camera on my phone is broken. Link to the radiator is below:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3Row-V8-Aluminum-Radiator-For-Holden-Commodore-Statesman-Vz-Vb-Vc-Vh-Vk-V8-Mt/122411333104?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D2e517837193b42f4aebe40ba603f4fc7%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D352226850641%26itm%3D122411333104%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Aa56fcbf0-64a5-11ea-a716-74dbd180e467%7Cparentrq%3Ad093ea1a1700a128ed1e7256ffdbcc2f%7Ciid%3A1

I dont have the part numbers for the hoses, but the top one is a VR/VS V6 top hose, the lower is a combination of the factory VT/VX water pump to crossover pipe hose, the crossover pipe, then into a shortened VT/VX water pump to crossover pipe hose, used a second one of them as it had the right bend in it to connect to the radiator, when I tried the factory VT/VX crossover pipe to radiator hos it was a little too kinked.

Drove it to work today. Radiator is working well, temp sat between 94 and 98, only hit 100 degrees a couple of times, and didnt stay there for long. Ambient temp was about 15 or 16 degress, this arvo will be a better test as it’ll be about 25 degrees and heavier traffic.

Noticed the volt gauge sitting on just over 12 volts while I was driving, when I got to work and turned the headlights off it jumped up to between 13 and 14, not sure if the gauge is a little bit out or if the lights just drain that little bit extra.

Also need to adjust the headlights, it’s looking a little crosseyed at the moment haha

Heron SSV
    Participant

Friday’s drive home was pretty good. Sat in heavy traffic for about 20 minutes and the temp climbed to 108, as soon as I started moving again it started coming down. When I got onto the freeway it went from 108 down to 101 in a minute or two, then it sat between 98 and 101 the whole way home. Ambient temp was 26 degrees. Got a few thumbs up on the way as well.

Overall, the new radiator has imporoved the cooling a fair bit. Will leave it as is for now, but might look at installing a shroud later in the year coming into summer.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

When I had the Blower engine in the Tonner I saw 114c in Summer in traffic with the AC on, I freaked but the car didn’t seem fussed at all…

Heron SSV
    Participant

When I had the Blower engine in the Tonner I saw 114c in Summer in traffic with the AC on, I freaked but the car didn’t seem fussed at all…

Yeah my tuner said between 100 and 110 is fine. A bloke on the JC forum has a VFII Redline and it normally runs at the 105 mark, give or take. I did notice that my shifter isnt getting as hot as the last time I drove it to work, that time when I was nearly home I couldnt hold the shifter as it was too hot, this time it was pretty warm but not uncomfortable to hold.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Ive bought a pair of 15 inch chasers for 30 bucks. I’ve got two others at home so I plan on stripping them back and painting them silver, but I have afew questions for the brains trust on here first:

How should I strip them back? Paint stripper, flappy disc etc.

Do they need to be stripped back, or can I just give them a good clean, sort out any rough bits and paint over the top?

Should I paint them the normal silver, or go MX Grey to match the bumpers?

Tyre size suggestions. I think they’re a 15×7, can I run some skinny fronts and fat rears? I want to run it down the strip at some point, but also have an option for a fat pro-street style look instead of the 20 inch Stars

Took a mate for a drive in it last weekend, starting to get used to how it drives and the power, gve it a boot in second and got mad wheelspin, my mate shit himself haha (I did a little as well)

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Alloy or steel , I did this to some steel wheels for drag racing 15″x 7″  but I think this could work for you get the 15″ widened for the rear say 2″  to 9″ then you can have a nice fat-ish Tyre 245-255  then keep the front the standard to something nice 205-225, unless you like the pro street or pro mod stay away from it personally I don’t like it but hey it’s your car

Dip strip the wheels if you can will come up nicer ,alloy or steel

Heron SSV
    Participant

Cleaned and painted the chasers last weekend. Just used some cans from Supercheap, that’ll do for now. Ten bucks for 4 cans of silver, came up alright.

Bought a new bonnet as well, it’s in primer and is in great condition. I’ll throw it in the garage and work on it later this year.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Havent done much over the last couple of months, got it out a few times for a quick squirt. Done a couple of small skids, lights up easy as on the brakes haha. Rear springs have settled so I’ll be getting the rear guards rolled cause it is scrubbing with the kids in the back. Had a go at doing it myself but the roller didnt fit on properly and I didnt want to push my luck and crack the paint.

Got my eye on three guages, oil pressure, water temp and trans temp. All electric. Cant get a firm price on a sparky to wire them up and I dont want a ridiculous bill so I’m thinking about having a crack myself. The factory dash temp and oil guages work so I might be able to just tap into those wires. I’ll mount the trans temp sender in the pan. Anyone have any tips on wiring guages?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I make a nice 3 gauge mount for the VK.  Fits in the sunglass holder with no mods needed.  Gauges are actually quite easy to do, I am sure you will nail it.  Just a thought, I run a fuel pressure gauge inside mine.  I really like it, imo its more useful than a trans temp gauge.  This is the VK mount.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Havent done much over the last couple of months, got it out a few times for a quick squirt. Done a couple of small skids, lights up easy as on the brakes haha. Rear springs have settled so I’ll be getting the rear guards rolled cause it is scrubbing with the kids in the back. Had a go at doing it myself but the roller didnt fit on properly and I didnt want to push my luck and crack the paint. Got my eye on three guages, oil pressure, water temp and trans temp. All electric. Cant get a firm price on a sparky to wire them up and I dont want a ridiculous bill so I’m thinking about having a crack myself. The factory dash temp and oil guages work so I might be able to just tap into those wires. I’ll mount the trans temp sender in the pan. Anyone have any tips on wiring guages?

You wire them to their senders. Can’t piggy back off factory stuff.

If you want It simple go mechanical gauge. If not electric is the way to go. The instructions and pretty good.

Or you can run something like a Scan Gauge 2 which will display heaps more info.

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m still not convinced on what way to go regarding the gauges. The Ngauge looks pretty good and just uses the OCB port, it displays a fair bit of info and the display can be customised. I’ll park that idea for the time being.

Booked it in for this Friday to get the rear guards rolled, wheel alignment and balance, plus a check over of the rear suspension to make sure it’s all good.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I have done an Ngauge for a guy in a VR.  They are a very nice unit, and as Cav says you can display a lot of info.  I must admit I like the old school gauges though for oil pressure etc.  Much easier to read at a glance.

HP Tuners nGauge

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m the same Garry, I love the old school gauges, but some cars start to look a bit overdone with too many, plus finding space to mount them. The Ngauge would cost about the same as a decent array of Autometer gauges, plus I wouldnt have to worry about wiring, just plug it into the OBD port and it’s done.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea exactly, its is a nice piece of kit.  And it does mean you get to take advantage of all the electronic wizardry in the ECU to display.  Just noticed you might want to keep an eye out for when I get around to designing the gear selector illumination for the early girls, for guys running ratchets.  I have the VN-P just released, and a guy has contacted me about doing a VY.  Then after its the first gens.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was talking about scan gauge 2 not NGauge.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Both of them would do the job, i’ll have to see if i can stretch the funds to the Ngauge cause it looks all fancy and shit haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I was talking about scan gauge 2 not NGauge.

I knew that, they pretty much do the same job, there’s a few different ones.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Not much has happened lately. Went on a cruise from the central coast down to Harry’s at the cross a few weeks ago. About 15 other cars came along, was a great night out, first propper cruise in the VK. Ended up going from Harry’s out to Auburn Maccas and hanging in the car park like the old days haha.

It’s due for a service so will be changing the engine and diff oil soon. Going to start getting it ready for engineering, will be ordering one of the gear indicators from Build Ninja in a month or so, plus get a pair of cats, and connect the charcoal cannister before i get the first once over to see what else it needs.

Got a set of plates for it as well:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Love the plates!!!

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Needs more cruise pics…

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.