HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

My gear is all CRS. NO issues.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Def dont rush into that decision, do your research. A couple of letters differdnt in a name, huge difference is quality….

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah that’s what I’ve been doing. Does the list of parts include everything I need or are there some items I don’t?

also thinking about splashing some paint over the bay so it looks like it matches the rest of the car. Not a full soothed out bay, just a quick tidy and some white paint. Shouldn’t take too much to do

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Bays of course are personal preference, but i love mine and nothing has been smoothed.  Def good paint makes a big difference, but also the colour.  A dark colour makes the wiring, grommets etc less visible, and polished bits stand out more.

Heron SSV
    Participant

At the moment the bay is black. Was thinking I’d clean it out and give it a quick tidy up, remove the battery tray, primer and some white paint while its empty.

I’ve been reading Bdl_007’s thread about his VL with the LS2 and reading about him giving his bay a tidy up has got me thinking about mine

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Def dont rush into that decision, do your research. A couple of letters differdnt in a name, huge difference is quality….

how so? The CRS Gear I have is near identical to a mates CAE gear

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’ve read good and bad things about both, at the moment the CAE stuff looks appealing as they were great to speak to, answered my multitude of questions they’ve probably heard a million times before, and the gear all works together. I’ll be calling CRS this morning to see what info I get from them, might also call Lowe Fab as well.

Spoke to my engineer yesterday, he said it’ll cost about $800 for a certificate. Didnt think that was too bad really. Also wasn’t too concerned about what parts to use as long as it works together as a unit, so basically with the LS3 I just need to make sure the box, tail shaft, diff and brakes are up to it.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Decided to give the bay a coat of paint. Can get a litre of hi fill primer for $63, 500ml of white paint for $50, both with hardener. A mate can get the spray gun, thinners etc. so I should get out of it for under $200. Fun times ahead…..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I was really referring to headers and their fitment.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I was really referring to headers and their fitment.

ahh yeah gotcha.

What trips me out is that the CRS 1 7/8 4-1 are identical to the CAE. Only difference being that the crs merge collector is welded on.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Picking up a VR fuel tank tomorrow. The CAE stuff comes with an in tank fuel pump that has in internal regulator so I can run a line from the tank to the rail and wont need the external regulator ($150 saving, yay). They said it’ll support 5-600hp so it should be plenty for me. Starting to lean towards the CAE stuff I mentioned earlier, spoke to CRS and they said it’s $2465 for their conversion kit, plus around $1800 for the loom mods.

Possible budget update could be this:

• Engine – $8200
    • Gearbox, converter and trans cooler – $5000
    • CAE conversion gear – $5200
    • VL rack, VR V8 k-frame and fuel tank – $675

Total is $19,075, leaving just under a grand. Still need to get a radiator with thermos, fuel line, brakes, sump, and probably more stuff I’ve forgotten.

Please excuse the rambling posts, it helps me keep my ideas in one place and get suggestions from the rest of you guys haha  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Please excuse the rambling posts, it helps me keep my ideas in one place and get suggestions from the rest of you guys haha

Dont apologise, its the fun of a forum following a build like this!

ahh yeah gotcha. What trips me out is that the CRS 1 7/8 4-1 are identical to the CAE. Only difference being that the crs merge collector is welded on.

That will make a huge difference in ease of fitment.  Any adjustability you can get you will need.  Even on my paccies I made both sides slip on when changing it to 3″.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

No engineering in that, exhaust,  tail shaft, custom loom?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

$1500 exhaust

$800 engineering

$500 tailshaft

Allow ur self $25k mate

Heron SSV
    Participant

No engineering in that, exhaust, tail shaft, custom loom?

Engineering will be about $800 but I haven’t included that yet, got lots to do before I even get close so that will come later, dunno about tail shaft or diff yet, loom is included in the CAE stuff. They supply a brand new harness that matches my existing one and extends it so I can mount the ECU in the cabin, plus add wiring to connect it to the factory VK harness so the dash all works as normal. I send my harness to them so they can make sure they have all the connectors, and send the new loom back along with my old one.

I knew my budget wouldnt cover everything seeing as I went with an LS3 and built TH400. I could of went for an LS1 or L98 and got everything done, but I wanted to splash out on the big ticket stuff while I can, and do the smaller stuff as time goes by. Haven’t really touched it for nearly three years so another couple of months wont hurt, hahaha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

And you end up with a weapon that will put a smile on your dial every time your drive it, stuff the $$$!!!

Heron SSV
    Participant

And you end up with a weapon that will put a smile on your dial every time your drive it, stuff the $$$!!!

hahaha exactly. Cant take it with you!

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Poverty is under rated.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Had another thought while driving home. I originally wanted to do a blue meany replica, but looking at it now, I reckon I could do a white replica for a pretty cheap price. Most of the car is already white, I’ve got a group a front bar and grill already so I just need the rear wing, and only have to paint over the silver on the bottom of the doors. Give the whole car a buff, clear coat and sticker kit and it’s done

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I personally think there is enough blue meanie replicas getting around, but in the end its your choice, sounds like a fair plan.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.