HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

You talking rwhp or rwkw?

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

You talking rwhp or rwkw?

rwhp

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Got told by someone once, rule of thumb is flywheel kW = rear wheel horsepower.  I am guessing it’s going to make say 350kW at the flywheel, so that equates to approx 350 rwHP.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Will go 300kw 400rwhp IMO

Heron SSV
    Participant

So there’s good news and bad news. The good news is that the car is running perfectly on the dyno up to 4 grand, everything is spot on, oil pressure, temp, no funny noises. Bad news is that it’s running out of fuel when it revs over 4 grand. Seems to be a fuel supply issue, either there is a pinch in the fuel line somewhere, the pump intake is partially blocked, or I have mounted the pump too far down on the hanger and it’s too close to the bottom of the tank. The tuner is going to pull the pump out and have a look. The saga continues.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

It’s all part of the fun. Hopefully it’s something simple like the fuel pump hanging too low. If it’s a linked line you will most likely see that

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea I agree with Cav, actually for “bad” news thats probably good if that makes sense.  Prob something quite simple.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks guys, yeah i’m hoping its something simple. Keen to get it back and start putting it back together. Spent the weekend working on the bonnet, more sanding and primer, sanding and primer, sanding and primer. Feel like I’m polishing a turd, but it’s slowly getting better. Definitely will be on the hunt for a new bonnet next year.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Finally all done. The fuel issue was the hose on the hanger that runs from the pump to the hardline on the hanger, it was leaking, the hose had started to deteriorate for some reason. The hose was replaced and it was all good. Ended up making 320rwhp, lower than I thought but the tuner said the high stall and TH400 suck more power out of them, said it’s making up around the 450 mark at the fly. A/F ratio was dead flat, it’s running perfectly. Everything else is fine, they went over the whole car and mechanically it’s ready to hit the road. Now I need to find some extra cash to pay for the extra work the had to do haha

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

That’s awesome bud that will get the old girl going for sure :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

That’s awesome bud that will get the old girl going for sure

cheers mate, yep should get up and boogie nicely

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

320rwhp, by my rule of thumb calc means 320 fwkw, which is 430fwhp which is around what they are saying.  Imo peak HP is such an overstated number, its a pub pissing contest.  It’s all about the shape of the power curve to produce it on a streetcar.  Peaky engines are a bitch on the street.  It will spend most of its life around 3,000 rpm, when you boot it at that, thats when you want it to stand up.  It will boogie mate, no doubt about that.  Top work.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Stock they are rated at 430hp. With tune and a few bolt ons it should be around 450ish.

Some will say your figure is low, but thru a stalled t400 and a 9inch it’s about right. If it had a t56 or t6060 it would be closer to 300kw

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads. Picking it up tomorrow morning. Keen to get it home and sort out a list of whats needed to get it back together. Got one month to get it on the road for my kids formal, time and funds are running out at a very fast rate haha

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

time and funds are running out at a very fast rate…

Said every builder of car like this towards the end!!

Heron SSV
    Participant

time and funds are running out at a very fast rate…

Said every builder of car like this towards the end!!

Hahaha yeah true mate.

There’s a dyno video up on Facebook. Search for DC Tuning & Mechanical, they’re based at Wyong on the Central Coast. They just put the dyno vid up.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Too bad you can’t post the vid here.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of SLE355 SLE355.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of SLE355 SLE355.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Post the vid to YouTube then link to here.  That’s what I do .There’s a really simple hack to download any vid off Facebook off your PC.  Just change the http bit to m, Google is your friend 😀

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I saw the video dam it sounds nice

Heron SSV
    Participant

Post the vid to YouTube then link to here. That’s what I do .There’s a really simple hack to download any vid off Facebook off your PC. Just change the http bit to m, Google is your friend 😀

I’ll have a poke around and see what i can do.

I saw the video dam it sounds nice

Cheers mate, yep it’s got a nice note to it.

Finally had a great weekend with the VK. Picked it up saturday morning, chatted to the tuner who said everything is perfect. Ran great on the dyno, A/F was dead flat all the way hovering on 12.5, motor pulled all the way to 6400. Unloaded it from the trailer and went for a little squirt up the road, it’s heaps toey down low, torque is awesome, has a nice quiet note at idle but opens up when you give it a bit. Also did a small skid in the garage haha.

Dyno sheet reads 239.9rwkw and 1261NM.

Started on the bodywork on Saturday and continued yesterday. Wet sanded the roof, C pillars, both rear guards and the boot. All the marks and crap that was on it are gone, all the peel from painting it in the garage at home in winter is gone and it’s silky smooth ready for buffing. Next is the doors and front guards, bolt the guards on, check over the bumpers and probably give them another few coats of clear before they go on.

Viewing 20 posts - 741 through 760 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.