HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Your getting new shocks yeah.  :huh:

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Your getting new shocks yeah.

hadnt planned new ones yet, why? I have to wait till the motor and box are in to see how it sits so I know what to get

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Just looks shabby after all the effort you’ve put into the K frame and arms…

Heron SSV
    Participant

Yeah I suppose it does. I suppose that’s the problem when you start freshening things up, you do one part and the other stuff looks shithouse so the one minor job turns into a massive one.

New stuff will come later on, might go for coil overs cause I want to run a set of 20’s, will get more clearance and adjustability. In the mean time, I’ll give it a clean up  :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Even if you just give em a clean and blow some Satin Black paint on em it’ll make the world of difference  ;-)

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Quick lick and it will be brand new.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Sounds like a plan lads.

Last minute order yesterday for some flex plate bolts, got some ARP ones from VPW for 50 bucks delivered. Just need a new oil pickup o ring, one more steering rack bolt and the engine mount to k frame bolts and I’m ready to slot the motor in this weekend

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for a lick of paint :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Bolts are sorted. Spoke to a few places and found some old bolts that fit and went to Supercheap and Bunnings to get what I needed. All set for the weekend now :good:

Profile photo of vlsv88
    vlsv88
    Participant

That’s Autobarn spray on mine. Looks a million bucks in real life. Washed them, 30 seconds with 800 grit and hit it with the can. Wrapped a plastic bag over the spring half and hit it.

Heron SSV
    Participant

That looks nice. Another job to add to my list haha

Heron SSV
    Participant

So the weekend didn’t go to plan. The converter didn’t arrive in time. Was going to put the motor and box in anyway to see how it fits but it would of been a lot of wasted effort. Got the motor ready to put in and bolted it in the bay before pulling it back out. Will be having another crack at it in a couple of weeks

Heron SSV
    Participant

I’m a sucker for a Supercheap sale. Just bought an engine crane and leveller for 250. Gonna go pick up my motor and box from my mates work and put them in at home in my garage. Saves having to organise a trailer again.

converter arrived today, finally.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I reckon an engine crane is a great thing to have.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Picked up the engine crane yesterday. Also grabbed a torque wrench cause I didnt have one and they were on sale. Went and picked up my motor and box as well. Was gonna start putting them in, but my garage looked like a brothel, and there was bugger all room left with the engine and crane in there so I spent today cleaning and organising everything. Have heaps more room now, aiming to start putting the motor and box in next weekend.

gonna bolt the box on and put it in together. The converter came with instructions, have to put half a litre of fluid in and make sure it’s connected to the three splines.

anyone who has done this before, please share your tips and tricks :good:

Profile photo of VH308
    VH308
    Participant

Just as it says mate, pour the fluid in, line it up and keep turning it back and forth give it a wiggle and feel for it lining up on the splines, keep doing it until you are sure its on all of them, when it looks like its sitting too far in, its probably right… don’t bolt it to the motor until you are sure

Profile photo of Blair
    Blair
    Participant

This thread is a wealth of knowledge i have picked up a lot of good info leading into my ls1 vk build  :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’d recommend installing box once engine is in. With a painted bay make it as easiest as possible. Don’t tighten any mounts until everything is in and aligned.

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

Ol trick with convertor is slot it in & keep spinning untill get the 3 clicks..by then it’s usually lightly rubbing on inside of bellhousing.

With a mate or two to help you + those adjustable levelling things you can use with engine hoists seems much easier these days.

Clearing vt booster & fitting extractors will always be a b@tch with early girls.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads, I’ll let you know how it goes

Viewing 20 posts - 321 through 340 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.