HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Anyone know if the nuts are meant to go on a certain way? the nuts are tapered on one side, looks like it centres the k frame when the nut gets tight, but when i try to put the nut on that way, it doesn’t seem to go on properly, the thread starts fine but stops just past half way like the threads are dirty, but it happens on all four bolts.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Gearbox is built and will be sent this week. Spoke to CAE about the computer and loom, it’s being made this week so it should be ready sometime next week. It’s taken a lot longer than usual as they get their looms from another supplier and they were waiting for them to begin their manufacturing. I’m not at that stage yet so it hasn’t impacted me, but I wouldn’t be a happy camper if the wait held up the build. Hopefully it being a completely new loom rather than a modified factory one works in my favour.

Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

You may have to get some new ones go to your engineer bolt suppler take one of the old ones to match

if a rattle gun didn’t work you may have cross threaded the bolt or nut

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You sure it’s a brand new loom? Always thought they were modded factory ones.</p>

Heron SSV
    Participant

You may have to get some new ones go to your engineer bolt suppler take one of the old ones to match if a rattle gun didn’t work you may have cross threaded the bolt or nut

It’s not cross threaded, I can start them by hand, they get at least 3 or 4 full turns before they start getting tight. It does that on all four bolts.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>You sure it’s a brand new loom? Always thought they were modded factory ones.</p>

Definitely a brand new one. I spoke with CAE at length about the whole conversion. They supply brand new looms, they needed my current loom to make sure the new loom has the same connectors and everything, but they send the old loom back along with the new one. A lot of places modify the factory one, which is a bit cheaper, but this loom is longer to mount the ECU in the cabin plus includes additional wiring to connect to the factory dash so the gauges work as normal.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thought I would chime in, your nut issue sounds a bit suss to me.  If it were damage, ie cross threaded, or a buggered thread (in the nut or on the bolt) it would only be on one of them not all 4?  Have you tried each of the nuts on each of the bolts?  If you have the same issue with all 4 you sure you haven’t accidentally mixed the nuts up and you are using the wrong ones?  if it is only one, then by elimination you should be able to tell what one it is, and if its the nut or the bolt.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thought I would chime in, your nut issue sounds a bit suss to me. If it were damage, ie cross threaded, or a buggered thread (in the nut or on the bolt) it would only be on one of them not all 4? Have you tried each of the nuts on each of the bolts? If you have the same issue with all 4 you sure you haven’t accidentally mixed the nuts up and you are using the wrong ones? if it is only one, then by elimination you should be able to tell what one it is, and if its the nut or the bolt.

Pretty sure I’m using the right nuts, but my daughter likes tinkering in the garage while I’m working (she’s 2 and a half) so there is a possibility she’s mixed them up. I’ll go through all the nuts I have from when I pulled the front end apart and see what I find, hopefully that’s all it is  :good:

Thinking I might get new front rotors, the ones I have are a little rusty, but cash is tight at the moment so I’ll throw the ones I have now on to get it rolling to put the motor in and get new rotors and pads later on.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Easy to do mate, I think from memory its a relatively fine pitch thread on those, so would be easy to mix up.  Coming along nicely though.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

good thinking out side the box there Gary, if it helps should be 19mm bolt s and nuts

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks lads. I’ll have a muck around and see what I can sus out

Heron SSV
    Participant

Got a heap done today. Sorted the k frame nut issue, I was using the wrong nuts, I had a heap that were exactly the same, but after some searching I found four that looked similar but weren’t as thick. Went on without a problem. Breaker bar got the one stuck bolt off.

After I got the k frame mounted I put the lower control arms and z bars on, then got the steering rack on and intermediate shaft connected. One of the rack bolts is stripped so I’ll get a new one. Pulled the old strut tops off but need to get some Spring compressors to get the new ones on

Heron SSV
    Participant

Countdown is on till the motor and box go in next weekend. I need to get some bolts for the following:

• engine mount to k frame
    • steering rack to k frame
    • gearbox X member to chassis

any suggestions on where to get them? Wreckers? Supercheap auto? Bunnings? I have no idea what sizes they are

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey bud use you old ones for steering rack to k frame ,engine bolts m12 grade 8.8 engineers with nylocks or spring washers ,  gear box mount check what thread they are using the old ones and get new ones make sure they are grade 8.8 or higher as I’m in nz I’m sure the other guys will know where to get them , let them know where you based , surprised the engine mount bolts and gearbox bolts didn’t come with kit for the money you spend I would expect them

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

…I was using the wrong nuts, 

Thought so, glad you got it sorted :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

…I was using the wrong nuts,

Thought so, glad you got it sorted

me too, was getting paranoid about it.

found a sump, called around a heap of wreckers and only one had one but wanted 400. Ended up calling a conversion mob from Newcastle who has a few so picking it up on Saturday. Sump, oil pickup, dipstick and new o ring for 200.

gotta visit a local wrecker to find the bolts I need on Saturday.

also did a bit of sneaky online shopping, Supercheap had an online tool sale the other night so I picked up a set of Toolpro deep impact sockets for 45 bucks, 10mm to 24mm. Been after a set for a while.

dont think I’ll get the brakes connected in time but I should be able to get it rolling by Sunday (please, sweet baby Jesus lol)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work, good score.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

The Nuts are meant to get tight about 4 turns in, if you clean one up really good you’ll see on the domed side they’re squashed in 3 places to deform the last threads, this locks them in place once done up… not the prettiest way to do it but it’s effective, they do wear out after being fitted and undone a few times though..

If you replace them with normal nuts be sure to use some 262 Loctite.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Good news…. It’s back on all four wheels! Got it all back together on Saturday. Borrowed a set of Spring compressors and got the struts in, got the rack in and connected, got the new VT hubs on, greased up the bearings, brake discs on, wheels on, back on the ground. Haven’t run any brake lines or put the booster in so left the calipers off for now. Will need to get new discs and pads before it hits the road so didn’t see much point putting them on. Steering turns properly, the wheels spin nice and smoothly, so hopefully I did an alright job. The whole car will get a thorough going over by an actual mechanic before it turns a wheel in anger.

gearbox arrived today. Converter, trans cooler and bolts will be here in a few days. Trailer is sorted for the weekend, towing it up to a mates workshop on Friday to get started slotting the motor and box in. Getting closer :good:

Heron SSV
    Participant

Pics from the weekend:

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Progress nice

Viewing 20 posts - 301 through 320 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.