HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVB – VC – VH – VK – VLHeron's VK SL Build – LS3, TH400, Sleeper Style

This topic contains 905 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 906 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Ahh k. Will the 130LPH fuel pump be enough? Seems small TBH. I would of thought a walbro 255 or even 460 would be better suited. Esp for somthing that’s going to be cammed.

Profile photo of Heron SSV
    Heron SSV
    Participant

No idea. When I originally spoke to CAE I told them it would be cammed and they said it’d be enough

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

130lph is about a standard GM Ls1 pump in a vt-vz
    Will be fine for like 228/232@112 vcm 7 cam with standard injectors.

If you go 460lph, upgrade all your wiring. Its draws SOO much current.
    It melted the sender and body harness loom in my vx.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Bdj_007 Bdj_007.
    Heron SSV
    Participant

Spoke to CAE, the pump they sent is an external pump and will be fine for a stock motor but probably will be too small once it’s cammed, and I dont really want to run it with a fuel system on it’s limit. I can send it back to swap for a larger one, but need some suggestions on options. They can supply a Walbro pump that flows around 250lph that can be mounted in tank (I’ve got a VR fuel tank), or they can supply a Bosch 044 mounted externally, and fed by the lift pump if the tank I have has a lift pump and not a high pressure pump. Ebay prices seem a lot cheaper than what I’ve paid, but not sure if they’re Chinese copies.

Could also stick with it for now as it’ll be a while before it’s cammed, but not sure if the external pump will work with my tank as I dont know what the pump is like yet.

Suggestions/advice would be welcome haha

• This reply was modified 6 years, 12 months ago by Profile photo of Heron SSV Heron SSV.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Lots of people having issues with fake eBay 044’s….

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

255 or 460 intank.

Profile photo of Bdj_007
    Bdj_007
    Participant

Spoke to CAE, the pump they sent is an external pump and will be fine for a stock motor but probably will be too small once it’s cammed, and I dont really want to run it with a fuel system on it’s limit. I can send it back to swap for a larger one, but need some suggestions on options. They can supply a Walbro pump that flows around 250lph that can be mounted in tank (I’ve got a VR fuel tank), or they can supply a Bosch 044 mounted externally, and fed by the lift pump if the tank I have has a lift pump and not a high pressure pump. Ebay prices seem a lot cheaper than what I’ve paid, but not sure if they’re Chinese copies. Could also stick with it for now as it’ll be a while before it’s cammed, but not sure if the external pump will work with my tank as I dont know what the pump is like yet. Suggestions/advice would be welcome haha

if only getting is cammed just go 460lph intank and upgrade the wiring. then that way if you go a setup like mine with big injectors its covered

Heron SSV
    Participant

Lots of people having issues with fake eBay 044’s….

Exactly. And there’s no way to tell if you’re getting the correct ones. I figure if I buy through an actual shop like CAE I’ll have some kind of warranty and they’re less likely to disappear like eBay stores do.

A Walbro 255 should be enough for mine, even with a decent cam in it.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Spoke to CAE, the pump they sent is an external pump and will be fine for a stock motor but probably will be too small once it’s cammed, and I dont really want to run it with a fuel system on it’s limit. I can send it back to swap for a larger one, but need some suggestions on options. They can supply a Walbro pump that flows around 250lph that can be mounted in tank (I’ve got a VR fuel tank), or they can supply a Bosch 044 mounted externally, and fed by the lift pump if the tank I have has a lift pump and not a high pressure pump. Ebay prices seem a lot cheaper than what I’ve paid, but not sure if they’re Chinese copies. Could also stick with it for now as it’ll be a while before it’s cammed, but not sure if the external pump will work with my tank as I dont know what the pump is like yet. Suggestions/advice would be welcome haha

if only getting is cammed just go 460lph intank and upgrade the wiring. then that way if you go a setup like mine with big injectors its covered

I’ll check with CAE tomorrow and see how much they are through them. I need to run all new wiring regardless of the pump I go with so I’ll make sure it’s set up properly

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Go the 460. Plenty of head room and it’s e85 approved. It’s like $30 more then the 255.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Thanks fellas, appreciate your input

Heron SSV
    Participant

Spoke to CAE today. Sending the pump back and they’re sending me a Walbro 460. Only cost an extra $50 so pretty happy with that.

Also finalised the gearbox with Paul Rogers, should be here in 3 or 4 weeks, plenty of time. Getting a TH400, 4K converter, dipstick, bolts, trans cooler with thermo. Gearbox is rated to 1000hp, manual valve body etc. converter is matched to the CAE flex plate so I won’t need spacers.

I’ll get some brake and fuel hardline in the next week or so, and that’ll probably be it for now on the parts side. Going to start putting it all together and then figure out all the little extra stuff I’ll need.

also need to try and sell the old stuff I don’t need, the VK k frame and power steering rack, brake booster, couple of master cylinders, and other stuff  can find to top up the funds a bit

Profile photo of gtrboyy
    gtrboyy
    Participant

I like those vt-ve intank kits you get from efihardware lets you plonk whole thing deep into tank just like factory ls cars…they also do 200×200 access bulkhead which I want for my sle tank to modify insides

https://www.efihardware.com/products/c541/Steel-Fuel-Tank-Conversion-Kits

External pump going to want either fuel tank sump OR surge tank as or will get surging 1/4-1/2 tank launching/hard acceleration.

The 460 will work great particulary if want to run e85 or do more work later on BUT upgraded wiring is a must.

Heron SSV
    Participant

I like those vt-ve intank kits you get from efihardware lets you plonk whole thing deep into tank just like factory ls cars…they also do 200×200 access bulkhead which I want for my sle tank to modify insides https://www.efihardware.com/products/c541/Steel-Fuel-Tank-Conversion-Kits External pump going to want either fuel tank sump OR surge tank as or will get surging 1/4-1/2 tank launching/hard acceleration. The 460 will work great particulary if want to run e85 or do more work later on BUT upgraded wiring is a must.

The pump will be mounted in the tank, running to the filter with built in regulator and one line running to the motor, nice and simple. It’ll have all new wiring so it’ll be set up properly from the start.

Heron SSV
    Participant

Gonna get the bay prepped for paint this weekend, getting it sprayed the following weekend. What grit sandpaper should I use to get the primer ready to paint over?

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

just saw test results of 3x 460lph walbro pumps pulling 46amps total, so with wiring you need to supply power and earth big enough to support 20amps

Heron SSV
    Participant

The pump will have all new wiring so it’ll be done right

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

While you are at it make sure you have a nice gutsy high amp alternator  ;-)

Heron SSV
    Participant

The standard alternator should be fine. Not running multiple pumps or a big stereo so it should be sweet

Heron SSV
    Participant

Picked up a Ryobi orbital sander from Bunnings yesterday. Was planning on getting the bay sanded back ready for paint this Saturday but got tied up with other stuff. Gonna get stuck into it Saturday morning, paint’s goin on Saturday arvo. Got some filler as well, will try and get the cowl mounted if I have enough time. Aiming to get the bonnet at least rubbed back and in primer.

Viewing 20 posts - 201 through 220 (of 906 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.