This topic contains 67 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan Phire aka Gmfan 8 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Yeh sorry and it was only for 2 brackets. Front only so $750 per bracket.</p>

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Wow still a dry raping….

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yep. Just spoke to him again. This time he returned them to machinist and they’re questioning if he sent different rotors last time. He also never sent a knuckle so they have no way to assemble them. Now he saying he’ll send them a knuckle and they’ll “access” them. For someone in the industry he’s making a lot of bad choices.

Profile photo of

For that sort of $$$ I’d expect a Steak dinner at the end of this debacle…

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

This is probley silly but I have to ask just to make sure

it can not be that the brackets are on the wrong sides ??

Does it work if the current  passenger side bracket is swamped over to  the drivers side calliper ??

Profile photo of

This is probley silly but I have to ask just to make sure it can not be that the brackets are on the wrong sides ?? Does it work if the current passenger side bracket is swamped over to the drivers side calliper ??

Nah the Holden Brackets are symmetrical..

(Makes life easier for a machinist)

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Yeah just had to check

Iv got big Ksport brakes and myn just worked perfectly with the disc and brackets and could not remember if the brackets had a specific side to be on or not

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

I had considered that but a) that wouldn’t fix radial distance so the pad would still overhang the rotor massively and b) the brackets were fitted to calipers already so side was dictated by bleed nipple.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Tried to fit rear brake lines today. Supplied wrong ones as replacements for the ones that were too short.  :disappointed:

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Replacement fitting

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Original fitting. It’s not just the shape but the collar is far too big to fit so connection doesn’t fit far enough through the bracket to secure it with the C clip thing

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

So no progress lately. In contact with NSW police over calipers i purchased on a whim but never received, still haven’t received my parts (my rotor and calipers supplied for mockup) <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>back from MKAL/CHE even though my refund came through before xmas and i still have no rear brake lines because i haven’t found anyone that makes the 3rd line in braid that goes over the diff in live axle models. Safe brake are out having stuffed me around with short lines and then wrong fittings on what were supposed to be “custom” lines. </span>

Been frustrating 12 months with this car.

Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

There is a place in Adelaide called Power Brakes. They made my braided lines a few years ago. Could give them a call if you want to get that braided line.

Power Brakes

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^highly recommend Carl at Power Brakes, the guy is a brake guru, seriously knows his stuff.

Profile photo of capssy
    capssy
    Participant

I can help with this one im assuming  your car is not a factory abs model  although i have seen some with that fitting  but you need a rear chasis to diff hose from a vn to vs live axle non abs they have those  early almost 6 hex type  but make  sure  you dont end up with a vb to vl hose also the exact  same fittings almost but if you look at the inside of yours it requires a 3/16 ball flare vb to vl are standard double flare if your in vic go try abs brakes or if you know anyone  in the industry  take or sent your existing  lines to atap they did mine like this quite cheap and all adr approved in braided

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of capssy capssy.
    Profile photo of VH308
    VH308
    Participant

Have sent pm with details of a good local guy :) cheers

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Thanks for all the feedback. Police were calling me back tomorrow morning so hopefully then i’ll know about front calipers. Still chasing to get my rotors back and i’ll try some of the companies mentioned above for lines.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Interesting how some big rep places… when you actually deal with them the reality

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

So not too much happening lately. Finally got some parts back after the bracket fuckup but somewhere between MKAL and CHI they’ve ‘misplaced’ one of my calipers and both my original brackets.

Finally received some calipers from guy interstate but of course they aren’t what was advertised or even off a Holden.

Brenton at HPW wrecking did me a deal on some front/rear calipers from the 330/315mm hsv brake setup. Went and collected them only to find they were missing the dog leg brackets required to mount them.

So where I’m at now is that I’ve ordered brackets from UPC, Hoppers Stoppers making me brake lines to suit the calipers and having modified backing plates made to suit the rear brake conversion. I’ve modified the towers to allow adjustment of strut tops in situ and replaced a tie rod that i damaged a while back.

What i need now is to order rear rotors, new front/rear pads and sort out my hard-line that runs from master cylinder to the back of the car. I’m in two minds about buying a proper (expensive) flaring tool and making my lines from scratch or just a replacement standard line and leaving out the proportioning valve for now. I don’t think I’ll be able to replace the line without removing the engine or bending the line so leaning towards buying a flaring tool.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Swapped rear solid line and rebuilt rear calipers yesterday. Slow progress but progress all the same. My modified handbrake and backing plates are made so waiting on those. Will rebuild front calipers when i have a chance and but full front brakes on.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.