This topic contains 67 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan Phire aka Gmfan 8 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Have to wonder how they got them so horribly wrong… it’s not Rocket Surgery..  :disappointed:

Profile photo of Phire aka Gmfan
    Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yep. Took 6 months to make them too. The whole thing has been ridiculous. They said couldn’t find caliper mounting studs to suit so they pulled studs out of old brackets even though they’re essentially a single use item because they use a set screw that deforms the thread. Advice from a stoptech supplier is that my old brackets will be ruined now too from pulling the studs out.

I’ve ordered and received new studs in case i decide to find someone else to make brackets for me. Don’t know why they couldn’t find any when Google found them for me.

Profile photo of

6 months… WTF it’s a 2 day job to design and make all 4 …

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yeh i was pretty disappointed. I was never told it was being subcontracted either. He said because he’s only a small shop it would take him a little while to get it done so i gave him time. I was under impression he was doing it so the ballpark price he gave me would be accurate when it wasn’t even close.

Profile photo of

If it’s not a rude question what did you pay?

Profile photo of sv89#170
    sv89#170
    Participant

Thought you had these on your wagon ? Why did you need new brackets

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

IJ. Quoted $350-$500 per bracket. Ended up being $1500. If original brackets are ruined they’re $600 to replace if i ever want to use my 355mm rotors.

sv89#170 the original rotors are very expensive because they have to be sourced from US and no rotor rings locally fit the stoptech hat so i was adapting them to a locally available rotor so it didnt cost me $1000 per set of front rotor rings. The initial cost of brackets would be offset by massive savings on rotors.

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

Holly shit

is there any chance of getting your dollars back over this ??

And lastly could you go see a machinist and get them to make a set of brackets up ??

Profile photo of

What material and do you have any pics?

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Sorry for the flash. Forgot i didn’t have more pics before i returned them. Machined out of billet. Can see the stud and set screw setup. Btw that gouge in the bracket was like that when they were supplied to me not something i did.

Profile photo of

Look a bit like how I do them, I don’t run studs I just use 2D Helicoils with longer bolts.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Did you look into Willwoods like mine?  My whole set up I got for $3k, but that was a pretty awesome price from my son at the time who was at an auto shop.  6 piston front, 4 piston rear, 2 piece rotors (fronts) so I can’t imagine they would be that expensive to replace the rotor only and made to bolt straight up as they are to suit the GTO (Monaro).  I did get a spacer machined up as I wanted to run them with the original HSV 17″ rims and i wasnt happy with the clearance.  Huge stopping power, just beautiful brakes.

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yeh same problem though with rotor rings really (haven’t looked at exact price of wilwood rings) Whole point was cheap consumables. Stoptech calipers are supposed to be a very good caliper, more rigid than some of the top brand monoblocks so had wanted to use them since i already had them. In hindsight i should have mocked up the vz 350mm rotors with stock brackets first to see if that was workable but hadn’t predicted so many problems with a reputable shop.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea, you would think they would have this sorted, as IJ said above its hardly rocket science, especially if that’s their game.

Profile photo of

6K is a joke… no way would I have paid that bill… let alone the BS of them not being right..

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

Yeh it got awkward when he told me the bill because they had my two sets of rotors and calipers and with no written quote didn’t feel i could refuse to pay and still get my stuff back. Even he conceded that it was much more than he had expected.

Profile photo of

I did a Wilwood 6/4 kit for the tonner with DBA 4000 rears and 5000 front rotors and it cost me less than that in materials and parts… that’s just plain ridiculous for brackets..

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

For future reference, if anyone ever does this kind of thing, happy to offer my services to 3D model it and do a real engineering drawing, that way someone could knock them up on an NC machine.  Once its done, piece of cake to make more for anyone else.  You just need to supply me a sketch and dimensions.  If we do it on an NC the price comes down if we make a few…

Phire aka Gmfan
    Participant

IJ you may have misread or i am misunderstanding but custom brackets were $1500 not $6k.

Profile photo of

IJ you may have misread or i am misunderstanding but custom brackets were $1500 not $6k.

Ahh ok, I thought you said $350>$500 each then they came in at $1500… didn’t realise that was for all 4 sorry.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.