HomeForumsMembers’ Builds and RidesVT – VX – VY – VZVZ Senator: Somebody had to be the first!

This topic contains 128 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 937CHA
    937CHA
    Participant

car is mint mate love it! B-)

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Cheers bud :)

Unfortunately a couple of mates noticed a slight knocking / clunking coming from the rear end. Probably a driveshaft, so ill probably just replace both of them. If its the diff. Tru trac and 3.7’s come at me haha.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Put that pic up you posted on Facebook!

Profile photo of Surfwagon
    Surfwagon
    Participant
    Supporter

Hi Jaba

Car still looking good like always.

Ive just ordered a wavetrac centre for my diff, better than True trac in wet and on muddy tracks  I sometimes use, so will let you know how it goes.

BTW don’t forget there are 2 different true tracs the lower strength Eaton and the high strength Harrop versions

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Cheers Surfwagon !

I am aware of the difference between Eaton / Harrop, not sure ill need the stronger Harrop version. Depends on how far i go with this thing. Keen to see how you go with the wavetrac, I thought they were only made to suit VE’s :)

If anyone on here owns a VY GTS or anything with the 6 piston AP racing brakes, and has a set of old 362mm front rotors lying around. I’d love to grab them off you. Looking into making custom brackets for these brembos, allowing virtually any wheels to be used, including standard HSV / Holden wheels, as the range of wheels that will fit over the VE style rotrs + calipers is very limited.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Looking into making custom brackets for these brembos, allowing virtually any wheels to be used, including standard HSV / Holden wheels, as the range of wheels that will fit over the VE style rotrs + calipers is very limited.

‘Ears Pricked’  :-)

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cars looking mint, anything new lately??

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Nothing new as yet mate, home on Thursday. Will look at doing a bit of engine bay tidy up. Still in two minds whether to spend big on this and build it into something I really want. Or cut my loses and get something else.

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Spend big and build it into something mint!!!  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Spend big and build it into something mint!!!

Yep, I’m with this :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Build what you want not what u have

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

So people, if I were to change the front rotor size from 355mm to 362mm. Would I have to move the caliper?

I know these calipers easily swallow a 370+ rotor on VEs and CTSVs, do you think the 3.5mm increase in diameter ( half each side so they will only go further out from the center of the hub 3-4mm ) will have a negative affect on the pad surface vs the rotor?

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

So latest project with the senator is modifying the rear suspension.

I’m going to use VS lower control arms, to bring the hubs approx 40mm closer to the diff. This will allow for a lower offset wheel to be fitted ( more dish / concave ) as well as hopefully a tad more clearance inside too.

I’ll also convert the rear suspension to proper coilovers from gforce if that’s the next clearance issue when it comes to fitting wider wheels. I’ll only stop at the tubs, I don’t want to mini tub it. Everything needs to be bolt on / off.

Gforce coilovers.

I’ve grabbed a second hand VZ IRS cradle and picking up VS rear control arms tomorrow. So I can mock it up all off the car and if I need custom drive shafts making up I can drop the whole subframe off and have them made up easily and accurately.

First up was removing the VZ handbrake setup. Real easy, just twist the handbrake shoes off and disconnect the small spring. And then undo the two bolts holding the assembly on.

Cleaned everything up and painted it so it’s ready to go onto the VS arms.

Next up will be removing the axles and hats to remove the dust shield to put onto the VS arms.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Jaba Jaba.
    Profile photo of Surfwagon
    Surfwagon
    Participant
    Supporter

:good: Interesting, what size tyres are you looking to run on the rear.

After all this work maybe a 275 or bigger for more traction, not the 245’s you ran before.

275 fit with the std suspension and right offset. :-)

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Hoping for 275 at a minimum. As you said they definitely fit. I believe the first obstacle on a standard car when running wider wheels on the inside is they eventually hit the control arms. So hopefully I’ll be able to squeeze a bit more room using the VS items. 295 would be nice  :XD:

Profile photo of hally
    hally
    Participant

Very interested to see how your rear end comes together, been umming and ahhing for a while about how to proceed with the ass end of my ute.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I don’t know about a VZ but with a VR its all about getting the right offset/backspace.  I have 10″ rims on mine (stock IRS) with 275s but 295s will fit.  When I did mine it sort of fouled the control arm/innerguard/outer guard all at once.

Profile photo of Jaba
    Jaba
    Participant

Same goes for the VT-VZ mate its all about the offset.

Have discovered a downside to using the VS control arms. You lose the adjustable toe rods.

I’m not overly dissapointed by it, it will just be like having a VT / VX S1 style rear end.

Down the track I may weld tabs onto the VS control arms to allow for the adjustable rods to be fitted, but that’s not a major concern.

Have everything I need now, so I’ll be cleaning up and striping everything down tomorrow.

Profile photo of EJ DUDE
    EJ DUDE
    Participant

Needs dish already, hurry up and order the wheels man!

Profile photo of Kroozer
    Kroozer
    Participant
    Supporter

Doing some serious mods now! And doesn’t need dish needs concave!  :yes:

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.