This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1,841 through 1,860 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

A least you know the stressful part is done and it makes power also held together credit to you for building part of it

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yes, I agree 100%.  It will be good to put it in knowing its running perfectly and run in etc.  We have done the wiring tidy up etc, so there may be a small issue or two.  So at least knowing it runs etc if I have problems I know I don’t need to look at the engine itself.  Starting to think of what it’s going to be like hitting the loud pedal for the first time, feels like forever since I drove it last.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

They say it’s like riding a bike you never forget , for me it’s been 7 years since I’ve driven a v8 :cry:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

The VL has been good therapy while the Senator has been out of action.  Also, doing some stuff on the MG. Apart from looking forward to driving The Senator again, I am also looking forward to getting it off the hoist so I can get the MG running and registered.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Too many projects, you’ll need to retire soon  ;-)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

quote quote=28099]Too many projects, you’ll need to retire soon [/quote]

Mate, I would love too, if the finances permitted…  But just glad to start to be getting all the cars drivable.

I can’t remember if I have said on here before, but my family is into restoring cars and have a long (sad) history of never fully finishing any of them.  I always swore that wouldn’t be me, that I would only start a new project once I had truly finished the last.

The Senator engine meltdown sort of stuffed that, then Dad giving me his MG unexpectedly (not that I am complaining!!) then the VL wasn’t intended to be a project as such, but of course it’s needed attention. And all the while the Kombi is sitting in limbo.

Still not complaining, its all fun, just keeping the Mrs happy has at times been challenging…

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Hey mate. Been a while since I’ve been on here. Engine is looking great!

Just wondering how the steering is with the ls pump to vn style rack? Is it way too light?

Cheers.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks very much, trying to find the motivation to put it back in.

Steering feel on mine is excellent, tbh I can’t really pick the difference between how it was before and after.   But bear in mind there quite a bit more weight over the front I would imagine compared to the little 5.0.  But very happy with it.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

<!– [if gte mso 9]>;”>  </span></p>

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi all, well those that have been following my build, know I am passionate about my car, and also that I try to be very open and honest about the whole build process.  So people have been asking for updates.  The fact is the engine is just literally sitting on the shed floor right now covered in a blanket as I really am not feeling the passion for it.

Let me start out by saying that if I were to give anyone one single piece of advice when building a car, it is this.  If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, do whatever you can yourself.  No one, and I mean no one, will take the care, pride and time to do something on your car to the level you want.  And they will charge an arm and a leg for the privilege.  Sadly, that’s just my experience.

Firstly I want to say that yes Brenton in my opinion took too long.  But the end result was a beautiful pair of heads and an engine that he helped me build that made beautiful numbers.  Would I recommend Brenton to anyone else, absolutely, no question.  Yes I should have spent more time discussing with him how long everything will take.

When I delivered the engine to THR prior to Christmas, I was told the cost would be $1,350 +GST, plus consumables.  I was told that gave me 12 hours, and if anything happened inside the 12 hour run it incurred no extra charge, otherwise overruns would be $100 p.h.
    As everyone has seen the power runs went perfect, the engine made beautiful numbers, I could not have been happier.

Then the day before I was going to pick it up THR rang me, saying that the cost was $3,455 and they wanted me to pay the invoice to pick up the engine.  Throughout the whole dyno process nobody had told me that it would cost me one cent more than quoted, let alone $2,000 more, nothing.

After some fruitless discussion, they then very reluctantly said they would halve the rate for the “labour” bill and bring it down to $2,855.  Still well over $1,000 more than I was expecting

So basically they had me over a barrel, they had my engine, I had zero control over how it’s being treated etc.  Under those circumstances, I just paid it, and moved on.

So there is the engine, sitting in my shed, every time I look at it all I can think of IMO is the ‘bullshit’ THR put me through.  In my mind, how they could expect a customer to pay $3,500, when they were expecting $1,500.  With no warning, no mention, nothing.   Hopefully soon I will be able to look at the engine and start to feel some enthusiasm for doing something with it.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

Hey Gary that’s a big blow out on their part for sure , so was that for engine work and parts or just dyno , I feel for you that you have something and will always have something to remind you , but I have been there not so much with money cost but that feeling your not in love with you car/project at this stage , take your time work on the vl or your dad’s Mg if your really up to the kombi :good:

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer. Reason: spelling
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

It sucks to hear this Gary. I hope you find the motivation to get the car back together and hitting the streets soon. As you say, sometimes it’s better to do as much as you can yourself. This is why I am very choosy with who I let touch my cars, making some very talented friends in the industry helps with that too.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks guys. Yea that was pretty much dyno time . TheiT dyno went down for 2 1/2 days with a sheared water pump through the session . No mention of that from them. No apologies for the delay, nothing.  Just so over it right now. Sort of feel angry at myself feeling like that but also just can’t bring myself to touch it.

Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

unfortunately we learn from experiences like this, but cost us money

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer. Reason: spelling
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer Judge1 Frazer.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Sadly it’s more the norm these days, I’m surprised when things don’t blow out in Time and cost..

Step away for a bit the passion with return, go for a drive or ride in something fast that’ll help.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thanks all, at least theres a lot of activity on some other very cool builds on here.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Very disappointing to read. The response on Facebook from them is also quite poor. Any decent business should present a face of wanting to resolve unhappy customers. The personal insults and bullying tactics dont really resolve anything and just makes them look petty, and unwilling to fix anything and defensive.  I also think they should be willing to show some transparency in how they resolve it not try to deflect to pm. Best of luck with everything and walk away from the build a bit. Its all too common in the auto industry unfortunately.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

I was just reading the post on Facebook and am in total amazement by the way the team at THR are handling themselves…

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

Fuck this seems to have escalated…

Profile photo of vspete
    vspete
    Participant

Sucks

Viewing 20 posts - 1,841 through 1,860 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.