This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of NickVR
    NickVR
    Participant
    Supporter

Where did you put the buttons for the trip computer? or have you removed them entirely?

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

^very nice, if you can let me know the colour paint, that would be great.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Where did you put the buttons for the trip computer? or have you removed them entirely?

Removed the trip computer, just undid the plug.  It replaces it.  Does anyone actually use it?

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Nope never used it. Best place for an extra gauge though  :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So may as well post this here as technically its a result of this I got to drive the Senator :)  My daughter (the mod on here) bought herself a 1977 Hiace camper van, with a 12R for her and her boyfriend to tour around in.  Its got the coolest patina and was supposedly 110k km on the clock.  They got me to “test drive” it for them, and I thought given the age etc it seemed pretty good.  They picked it up for a song.  So anyhow, got a good mechanic mate of mine afterwards to give it the once over, hum, no. 4 cylinder no compression and also the hint of a slight big end knock.  Damn, strike one for dumb ass Dad.  Had a chat to the mechanic and we decide that Dad will volunteer to do nice low cost homie/ghetto rebuild.

So The Senator gets driven out to the in-laws for a couple of weeks storage and in comes “Ringo” for his rebuild.  Removed the cylinder head and sure enough number 4 exhaust is shot.  Luckily the seat are actually pretty good, no sign of cracks or water jacket corrosion (it is cast iron) so should just need a recut, and a new valve.  Also remove the pistons and rods and number 1 big end is showing wear.  Measured it all up, almost unbelievable both pistons and bearings are standard, the pistons look good, and there is almost no ring ridge at all so the 100k km looks right.  The crank itself also looks spotless, going to measure it up for ovality tonight.  So off goes the cylinder head for a rebuild, have ordered everything else and looks like for under a grand he will have a semi rebuilt engine.  Yes I know we could have pulled it out and given a rebore etc, but seriously the value of the car just doesn’t justify it, and this will give them heaps more life out of him. So the aim is next week to rebuild it, lets see how we go.  Few pics for posterity.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Never a dull moment in your garage Gary lol

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea for sure, wasn’t a lot of fun working sat/sun in 40 degrees either, but Dads have to do what Dads have to do :unsure:

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of [TUFFVQ]
    [TUFFVQ]
    Participant

Yeah I think it’s safe to say that exhaust valve is probably past its use by date  :negative:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Agreed, luckily the seats aren’t too bad.  Hoping to pick up the head from the guy today, along with the rings, big ends and gasket set.  Then its a long weekend here this week end, so with a bit of luck it will be back up and running by the end of it (famous last words)

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well project “Ringo Rebuild” was a huge success.  Actually its bloody running amazing.  But I will leave that for Georgie to post on her thread.  Yesterday did a nice day on the Kombi.  Finished up around 3 so decided to take the Senator out for a flog.  Really used to it now, my foot might of slipped once or twice and I can confirm it does big skids, in fact I really could fry a set of tyres in a heart beat if i wanted, and I don’t even have to sit on the limiter, I just give it a stab, then back off a little around 4/5 grand and enjoy the show.  No Cava don’t have any video!!  Then gave it a good wash marveled at its shine for a while and then put it away.  Living the dream with it now, just the car I wanted it to be and more :good:

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

So much love for this car! It’s good that you’re finally at a point where you can enjoy it for what it is without having to worry about the next change/problem/solution. Truly living the dream! :yahoo:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate, always get a buzz out of the people that have followed the build and shown their appreciation.  Its been a great journey, it is a lot of fun just being able to get in now and drive it like I intended.

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Its nice to be able to just get in and enjoy it!

Cant wait to see what its going to do in May at Heathcote! :whistle:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Its nice to be able to just get in and enjoy it! Cant wait to see what its going to do in May at Heathcote!

i second this notion  :yes:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Can’t see it happening.  I haven’t been down a drag strip in over 30 years, and can’t see my first outing in the Senator being at a meeting like this and so far away.  More likely to be a local off street meet at AIR or a test and tune day there.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

There is test and tune that weekend on the Friday and the Sunday as well. I wouldn’t stress to much.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Unfortunately I am a stressy kinda guy with this sort of stuff, I would be hopeless.  Rather go out to a more local kinda meet and iron out any bugs there.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Little bit of maintenance.  The other day after driving it for an hour or so the fuel pump started getting a little noisy, nothing like before but it just didn’t seem right.  So decided I would remove the fuel filters and clean them out.  On the inlet side of the pump is a 100 micron stainless unit, so I pulled it apart and gave it a clean out, there did seem to be a slight restriction just blowing through it before, but its perfect now.  I then pulled out the down stream filter which is a 40 micron paper element style that came with the Weldon set up.  Bingo, the paper element is actually quit blocked.  I guess thinking about it with all the messing around building it, changing injectors, doing all the fittings, pretty much the whole build, its not that surprising I guess.  Its also I suppose means its doing its job.  So gave Jack at Earls a call, (what a top bloke / great service)  he is sending me a new element down Monday.  So I will fit that up and I reckon I am on my way again.  Had a good look underneath while I was there, it all looks pretty schmick still, so pretty happy with that.  Mind you I seem to have gone through a pair of 10″ rears in less than 2,000km, no idea how that’s happened ;-)    Few pics for posterity;

Profile photo of vs manta 218
    vs manta 218
    Participant
    Supporter

<i>how is that varex goin ?? </i>

I have the 2 by 3 inch ones on myn and it works awesomely

looks good underneath it

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Actually tbh at the moment I haven’t got the varex actually electrically hooked up, its just fully open.  Its actually so quiet when I am off throttle just driving normally it I don’t think it really needs it. I have a small list of little things like that I should get sorted but I really just am enjoying driving it more than working on it if you know what I mean.

Viewing 20 posts - 861 through 880 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.