This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 841 through 860 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Summers
    Summers
    Participant

I sense the biginning of a side business with lots of custom orders :yes:

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I sense the biginning of a side business with lots of custom orders :yes:

Stay tuned mate, that’s exactly what I am planning, have already registered a business name etc, my daughter (our admin here) and I are partners, she is going to do the website etc.  But it wont be about making $$ just doing some cool custom stuff for people and making a little pocket money to keep it all going :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Well, I can say there is a lot to learn with this 3D printing gig, but its a lot of fun.  These are my attempts so far, the one at the bottom is actually not too bad.  I might have a go at painting it up myself to see how it looks.

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Brilliant effort!

What are the consumables like cost wise with these, they last long as well?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Tbh I am not too sure yet.  A “roll” of plastic which is sort of like a mig wire spool costs around $50.  So it depends a lot on how much plastic is in the part.  The modelling is the long costly part.  The CAD software I use is about $12k to buy, luckily because of my back ground I have it and know how to use it, of course there is alot of free CAD software like sketch up but when you want the ability to more complex stuff you need good software. The range of materials is incredible.  From engineering plastics like ABS which are heat resistant and used by car makers, to more environmentally friendly stuff like PLA which is derived from corn.  Then there is PLA impregnated with wood, that prints like wood, you can sand and stain it, also metallic impregnated PLA, then flexible transparent plastic/rubber like you see some protective phone covers out of.

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Awesome stuff, looks like a lot of fun!

Koenigsegg 3D print their variable geometry turbine housings in stainless steel, inc. the internal moving parts and threads all in one hit! Crazy to think where 3D printing could eventually go…

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Looks great, I know when I built my CNC it was going to be a time saver as once you have the tool paths sorted it’s set and forget but I used to stand for hours watching it do it’s thing  :XD:

Profile photo of Dan811
    Dan811
    Participant
    Supporter

Awesome stuff, looks like a lot of fun! Koenigsegg 3D print their variable geometry turbine housings in stainless steel, inc. the internal moving parts and threads all in one hit! Crazy to think where 3D printing could eventually go…

They also 3D print their exhaust tips out of Titanium, then colour it with a blowtorch… Because racecar

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea there is already a duel filament head available for mine, so you could for example print a section as a flexible hinge and the rest solid all in one print.  It is very cool.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

So apart from getting stuck into the Kombi build, lately I have been playing around with developing some things for my 3D printing business.  I have always wanted to have a better gauge cluster in my Senator and it always bugged me that the oil pressure gauge wasn’t in an easy to see position.  So I had this idea of making a swap out part for the trip computer, it would also be a great spot for a boost gauge.  So I have been playing around with lots of variations to get it all to work properly and today I fitted them up.  I am super happy with them.  They are made out of ABS, they have a slight surface finish off the printer which I actually like, but its very simple to sand them and give them a coat of acrylic paint if you wanted them dead smooth or a specific colour to match your interior.

I am interested in peoples thoughts, I must admit I am a much better CAD operator than photographer, but hopefully you can get a good idea of how they came up.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Looking really good Gary.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Cheers mate, much appreciated.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

In other news took it for another long cruise today.  At one stage from a standing start gave it a squeeze to limit wheel spin,  pulled 7k rpm in low in what seemed like only a few seconds and hit 160km/h in not much more. Of course done on a private road in controlled conditions!. Starting to think its about time to hit the strip and see where its at, my guess maybe mid 11s, not sure.  Not sure when the next street drags are here in SA.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

There’s drags at Heathcote………

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

That is killer Gary!

When can i order one of those for the speed sensor in my vs ?????  :yahoo:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

That is killer Gary! When can i order one of those for the speed sensor in my vs ?????

Not totally familiar with the VS vs VR, is it in the same place, is it the same size?  Should be up and running in the next couple of weeks though :good:

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Exact same mate.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Exact same mate.

Cheers.  One thing is I have designed the 3 gauge cluster to fit mine at present, but I did it in a way its easy to change the model to make it a little wider and taller for regular models that don’t have the vinyl like mine.  One of the guys at work has an executive VR, will use his as the prototype for that to get the size spot on.

Profile photo of HDN05L
    HDN05L
    Participant
    Supporter

Yep as cava said both the same vs/vr. Let me know when your ready to go. Cheers Gary

Profile photo of Marzella
    Marzella
    Participant

Yea that’s a good spot, that’s where I mounted my gauge, just with some ally plate… But that is awesome being able to just clip in! Well done mate

FYI I found a Tamiya model acrylic paint that matches really well with the dash just can’t remember the colour code lol

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Marzella Marzella.
Viewing 20 posts - 841 through 860 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.