This topic has been reported for inappropriate content

This topic contains 2,102 replies, has 82 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 2,106 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I think there is way way more to this then anyone can post on here in less then 3 pages

This 110% .

Imo, what happens with blown road cars is you can cheat.  What I mean by that is it doesn’t matter if the exhaust system is inefficient, you just run more boost to compensate.  Static compression is actually totally irrelevant, dynamic compression, i.e. what the engine actually sees as the compression cycle starts and the spark plug fires is what matters.  If you measured two engines, one NA, one boosted that make the same power, their dynamic compression will be the same approximately, it has to be, its just physics.

At the end of the day, in ALL engines, when the spark plug fires there is a certain amount of mixture of air/fuel that explodes, the more there is, the more torque/power it will make.  All we are talking about is the different ways of getting the mixture it in/out of there.

Pete what you are talking about is very important.  Why do you think good engine builders of boosted cars will always say XX kW at a certain amount of boost?  The reason they care about what psi is the more efficient and well designed a boosted engine is, means it will produce the power at a lower psi. You also get the double advantage of lower parasitic losses.

Anyone can bolt a turbo/blower on a car and run huge boost and make power.  It takes skill, finesse and understanding to make that power with minimal boost.  Thinking about it a little more, I can imagine there is slightly larger exhaust flow to compensate for the parasitic loss of a boosted engine, but surely that’s relatively low percentage wise.  I agree with Pete, a well designed scavenging exhaust system will be just as beneficial to all engines, na, sc, and turbo.

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

charge density is dependent upon isentropic compression efficiency of the compressor….

Laymans, Better compressor more air in cylinder.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

charge density is dependent upon isentropic compression efficiency of the compressor…. Laymans, Better compressor more air in cylinder.

No argument from me, but you are talking about getting the charge in there, I am talking about once its in there the engine doesn’t know whether its blown or not.  Its a great discussion, its one of the things I like about this forum, firstly there are people on here with a lot of knowledge and experience, and more importantly we can have a discussion like this without someone cracking the shits :good:

This book is really good, its a great read.  Its sort of the more modern thinking out of the states, where rather than consider our engines 4 strokes, really there are 7 separate parts of the cycle (or chain), that each interact with the next.  When I read it, I started to understand more when you guys for example start talking about LSA and what its doing and why its important.

Profile photo of Immortality
    Immortality
    Participant

That looks like a worthy read.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My tuner put me onto it, its heavy, but the basic principals make a lot of sense.  I just think if you get some understanding of the theory of why things happen, it makes understanding something new easier, as its off a good base line of knowledge.  My Dad was right into all the theory back in the day, so I grew up reading guys like Phil Irving, Mike Costin, Keith Duckworth, even chassis stuff with guys like Colin Chapman of course.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Hey mate.

Just looking at your early posts. At your powersteering lines. As i am wonting to know about the braided lines you used. Are they normal -6 with stainless braid or special lines. Was there any restrictor needed. Was the engineer happy with it. Any help would be great. Cheers

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Hi mate, it was recommended to me use 200 series (teflon) lines as they are rated to a higher pressure, although pretty sure people have used 100 series for years.  I like the 200 series as they are much easier to do the fittings on, and its impervious to pretty much everything like E85 etc, so you can have one style of fitting everywhere.  No negative comments at all from the engineer on using them, but he did ask what I used and why I chose that.  Yep used 6AN, took a little sorting to to get the fittings at the rack sorted mainly as the LS conversions headers leave little room.  I ended up making a small hard line adapter to bring it out at the right angle.  Hope that helps.

(might add pretty sure these pics are when I first did it in 100 series, before I changed over)

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

My lad came up for a visit yesterday so picked him up from the train station and we went and had a hit of par 3 golf.  Another plus for no fuel system in the boot, easy to to fit the clubs in :good:

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

Love the fact that its a monster and it still gets driven.. Any plans to take it down the strip?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Def want to at some stage, I built it to drive not hide, but part of me doesn’t want to take it there until its at least capable of a 10.9, not too sure its got that in it yet, but on the other hand its going to be a lot about getting it set up to hook up, so maybe going out as it is and playing with tyre pressures etc is the go.  Gotta say way more keen to take it to the strip now I have the glide, it just feels bullet proof whereas before I just didn’t have confidence in it.  Not sure.

Actually just been out to grab some lunch, just cruised it around the town for a bit.  I’m keen at the moment to just drive it as much as possible and see what issues pop up.  One thing was it was just too low for a streeter before, I don’t mind the occasional scrape but it was past that.  So this morning I put the Pedders adjustable rear springs in and lifted it a little just to even up the ride height.   Other than that so far so good but I am sure something will show up.

Right now just really enjoying driving it out of the shed and cruising around like a daily and hitting the loud pedal every now and then.  Its not quite a daily, but very very sedate just pottering around.  For me anyway, the perfect compromise, more or less a race car for the street, but with nice manners until called upon.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 3 months ago by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065.
    sands vs
    Participant

I thought you had front and rear coilovers?

Do you have any pics or info on the adjustable rear springs?

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Currently I have XYZ suspension in there, the fronts are adjustable coil overs but the rears have never been full coil overs, not sure I understand the advantage of them tbh, the geometry of a Commy IRS is pretty ordinary, that’s the real problem.  I actually have two sets of adjustable height springs for the rear of it.  The XYZ came with a set but I just didn’t like how small the coils were, as I just couldn’t see how I would get any useful spring travel, I didn’t want it riding like a go kart.  So I sourced a pair of Pedders, same as Pete is using on his Manta.  I prefer it to have a regular full spring in there to get full travel.  The yellow ones are the XYZ and the Red ones are the Pedders. But for now at least its allowed me to raise it up and get rid of the scraping when running over ants.

</p>

<p class=”MsoNormal”></p>

sands vs
    Participant

Wonder if anyone makes them for rigid rear springs great idea.

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Yea not sure, could maybe adapt these?  The adjustable spring bases must be available, I imagine you could get a pair of springs rolled up if you knew what you wanted?

Profile photo of capssy
    capssy
    Participant

Sans if your refering to live axle check out my thread im running  k sport live axle coil overs rear springs have adjustable base rears fir vb to vs live axle :good:

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Nice work Cappsy, that’s what forums are for :good:

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

check out the K-Mac coil jackers. I think they have a design for solid rear axle springs. Fully adjustable with a tyre wrench, no c-spanners

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

check out the K-Mac coil jackers. I think they have a design for solid rear axle springs. Fully adjustable with a tyre wrench, no c-spanners

i seen these at summernats 21, ages ago.

Profile photo of benk
    benk
    Participant

i seen these at summernats 21, ages ago.

yeah they’ve been out for a while. I first saw them at SEMA in 2011

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Well Nats 21 was 2008. That year the mob had just come back from SEMA and cleaned up. Some Aussies came up with the idea.

Viewing 20 posts - 781 through 800 (of 2,106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.