This topic contains 116 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SLE355 SLE355 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Great work mate, will be so much nicer when you get the fresh paint on. Good to hear your going with the molds and pin strip too.

Regarding getting the front bar molding made up, how many bar’s would that minimum order cover? I reckon there would be plenty of people interested in getting them, I’d probably grab one for the front. Great idea though, wouldn’t have thought of getting something like that made up.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of SLE355 SLE355.
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

I thought about going with a different blue (AC Cobra blue).

Still tempting but I think I’ll stick with the original colour down to the original pinstriping and door molds.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Great work mate, will be so much nicer when you get the fresh paint on. Good to hear your going with the molds and pin strip too. Regarding getting the front bar molding made up, how many bar’s would that minimum order cover? I reckon there would be plenty of people interested in getting them, I’d probably grab one for the front. Great idea though, wouldn’t have thought of getting something like that made up.

I figure that the minimum order would cover enough for 100 bars. Have to still talk to a manufacturer to confirm.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for original colour imo :good:

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I figure that the minimum order would cover enough for 100 bars. Have to still talk to a manufacturer to confirm.

That is a lot, you could try selling them on Ebay and forums and Facebook pages.

I wonder if another company who does the same thing would do a smaller order?

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

You’d definitely make money on that venture

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

I reckon remaking the door moulds would be a good proposition too. They would sell..

Maybe speak to rare spares sell to them?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of sands vs sands vs.
    Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

The car is completely original apart from a new window master switch from a VL.

Thats not a vl one its an aftermarket one

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Any updates?

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

I’ve run into a few troubles in getting the chrome bar molds made. The company I first spoke to that was going to do the job have now said they don’t have the proper equipment to make them., this is after visiting them and showing them the rear mold. The molds need to be made by an extrusion process so I’ve gone back to finding someone that can help.

The Commodore badges have apparently come out nicely but I’m yet to see these in the flesh.

As for the car, It’s now in primer. The only other it of rust found on the car was a small section in the lower drivers door that has been lead filled. There was also some pitting on the bonnet, boot and roof that got taken care of as well as the front apron. As for the colour. I’m sticking with the original Indigo blue and white pin stripes. The engine bay is not getting touched at this stage. It’ll get work done later when the engine is ripped out. (hopefully to make way for a something stroked).

Of course mandatory photos are included below.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Good to see some progress, you getting the door jam’s done too?

If you don’t mind revealing, what sort of company would make the molds? I could see if there’s any local to me and ask.

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Door jams are getting done too. They need to finish them off as well as the side skirts and pillars then off to spray.

With the molds, I’ve been told I need to talk to a rubber extrusions manufacturer.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Looking great so far ;)

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Any progress?

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Nope. Still sitting at the body shop waiting for paint. body and panels are all ready but the workshop has been smashed with insurance work so my car has taken a back seat. Can’t complain though. It’s a mates panel shop and he’s doing some good work for a discounted price, at least it’s getting done.

I told him that I need the car back by end of January for rego so should get it back by then at the latest.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Any news on either the car or bumper moulds?!

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

No good with the bumper molds. Tried a number of places and they all couldn’t guarantee they would turn out the same as standard.

No progress on the car since I last wrote. Car is sitting in the shop still waiting paint. Can’t really rush the guy as he’s doing me a favour but I’m itching to get it back.

Have managed to get newly chromed bars, new grill. just waiting for the badges to come back from the guy reproducing them. They closed over the Christmas break and are due back at work end of January.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of Narva*2010
    Narva*2010
    Participant
    Supporter

I have a suggestion regarding bumper moulds.  I bought some last year, but I don’t have the rear SLE bar, so rears were not an issue from memory.

The front bar moulds were a tad short, so I joined two, then put an over rider to cover up the join.  When you look at the bar, you wouldn’t know that it isn’t stock.

So now you have the option, track down a set of over riders, or try get moulds specially made… both still hard to do, but you might have a better chance of getting over riders. They still pop up, but people are willing to pay $$$.  Probably cheaper than your initial outlay on the moulds.

Good luck mate.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

I wonder who did the mold’s for Holden? Have you asked about the door mold’s at all?

Is the grill an aftermarket one? I just ordered one off ebay.

Personally I’m not an over rider fan.

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

This is a reason I am seriously considering a 3D printer.  Prob could make up a small black clip to hide the join but not have to have the over riders.  I know it wouldn’t be factory perfect but unless you looked hard would prob be pretty neat.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.