This topic contains 116 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SLE355 SLE355 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

After months of searching I finally found and picked up a SLE.

It’s a 1981 build single indigo blue colour with shadow tone interior. It’s a one owner car with 94000kms and immaculate interior. Only downsides are that its a 253 not a 308 and it isn’t optioned with the trip computer. Only minor issues.

Here is is in its original condition.

And here it is 5 mins after I got it home.

Going to get some new shocks springs and adjustable Panhard rod on Monday.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

Nice one.

What size rims are on the rear ?

Also needs more interior pics !

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of VS 5.0 VS 5.0.
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Front are 19 by 7 with 215. Rear are 19by 9 with 245. I think I can drop the rear about an inch without it rubbing but any more and it will touch the guard. Will get the guards rolled and see if it will go lower later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Good to see it in loving hands. Could never get why it took so long to sell, I was almost going to buy it just to pilfer the good bits for mine and on sell it lol. Like the line of questions leading up to this moment as well elsewhere on the forum :p

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Cheers. It would have been a pity to part this girl out. She’s a very honest and original car. No major rust only minor surface rust on the front guard near the antena.

Here’s a little more info and pics of the car.

Engine is a 253 4.2L V8. It has 93,000kms and has been in the one family since it was purchased off the showroom floor from Boyd Holden South Wollongong. Owned by one man who later passed it on to his daughter. It sat in a garage from approximately 2008 until 2014 when it received a slight overhaul and was registered. The compliance plates shows that the car left the factory with leather interior but the original owner had the dealership swap the leather seats out for the velour. Smart move I think as that’s one of the things that make an SLE special and unique.

The car is completely original apart from a new window master switch from a VL. I picked it up Saturday from Canberra and drove it back all the way to Sydney and am pleased and surprised to say that the car made it without any issues at all.

Plans for the time being are to just enjoy it get it mechanically sound and cruise around with the 253 in it. Eventually I’ll be looking at an engine swap. I’m in two minds on doing a 304 conversion or keeping it carby by going with a 308. either way I’ll be upgrading the suspension, brakes and drive line first.

Now for the photos.

Not very attractive in it’s standard form

Clean roof lining. Just need to replace the light cover

Original and clean interior and original log book. The owner was a non smoker so it has no burn marks in the seats and the ashtrays are all clean.

unmarked rear seats

Boot with original carpet and jack

93,000kms on the clock

The powerhouse 253

First thing I did when I got the car home was throw on the FR19s I’ve had sitting under the house. As I mentioned the front are 19×7 with 215 rubber. The rear are 19×9 with 245 rubber. I thought I was going to have to shorten the diff to fit the rear (hence the questions on the other threads) but they clear with no issues on the standard suspension. As I type the car is at Pedders having a few bushes replaced as well as shocks and lowered springs and adjustable pan hard rod. Hopefully the rear don’t rub once she’s lowered.

Here it is with the Simmons and the standard suspension.

I have a new set of headlights arriving next week with the clear indicators and I’ll be ripping off the yellow fog lights and mud flaps shortly too.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of Vkbt1
    Vkbt1
    Participant

Very nice sle mate. You don’t get to many in this day and age in the same condition as what you just bought.

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Cheers.

Here it is now 2 inches lower

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of VS 5.0
    VS 5.0
    Participant

That looks spot on…..minus mud flaps !

Any rubbing on the rear ?

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of VS 5.0 VS 5.0.
    Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Yeah have to get rid of the mud flaps. Might do it this weekend. Ordered a new set of headlights and VK blinkers to clean up the front end. All pretty standard upgrades to a VH.
    The passenger rear rubs on big bumps but only minor. It only happened to me twice in 45 mins of driving. Once I get the guards rolled she’ll be right. Might even be able to fit 255 rubber. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

I like it lower, sweet as :)

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Well since buying the car it hasn’t really moved from the garage apart from an oil service last week and getting the rear guards rolled. I recently changed the front headlights and indicators to clear ones just to give it a cleaner look. I’m still in two minds about changing the mirrors to the VK/VL style.

Also been doing some searching for a 304/308 engine and T700 gearbox to do at a later date. I’ve decided to keep it to the correct period and go with a GMH 8. As it’s a cruiser and I’m not looking for big HP (I have a Golf R that fulfills my speed need) I’ll be keeping it as a 5L but make it sound lumpy and tough.

As tempting as it is to buy the engine first I thought I’d sure up the diff and brakes first. I bought a VL turbo diff from a forum user and hope to pick it up in the next week or so. Plan is to get it shortened and perhaps throw in some 3.9 or 4.11 gears since I’ll be using a 4 speed box, can’t wait. Should help wake up the car since it’s currently running the standard 2.78 diff.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Thats going to be fun going from 2.78 to 4.11 :good:

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

The VLT diff owner also has a VS 304 long motor with heads for $350 ;)

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

The VLT diff owner also has a VS 304 long motor with heads for $350 ;)

:good:

You know I’m going to have to take that too then.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Bit of an update.

Diff and engine and brake upgrades have been put on hold for a little while. I thought the smarter move would be to concentrate on the body to make sure it doesn’t rust on me.

Dropped it off at the body shop a few weeks ago to give it a full respray. going back to bare metal but sticking to the original colours. Door molds and pin striping are all going back on too. Also replacing all the body rubbers and getting as much of the chrome redone as possible. I’ve also managed to but a newly re-chromed front bar. Unfortunately the original bar rubbers will need to go back on as no one remakes these.

I’m also getting all the badges remade in metal, including the “Commodore” front bar badges which are almost impossible to find.

I’ll try keep you guys updated with it’s progress. It should be finished at the body shop before Christmas and back on the road. :-)

Now for the pics. :yahoo:

Body rubbers, locks, bolts and trim bits! All from Kingswood County. They’ve been excellent to deal with.

Also ordered a Holden decal for the rear window. quite ironic.

Apart from some minor bubbling on the driver’s door this is the only rust found on the car, even after the windows were pulled out. pretty happy with that.

An this is how she sat last time I  saw her a week ago.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

How is the boot being repaired looks like a bit of work in it?

Got some more information on the badges being remade, cost and how you are going about it?

The bar ones arnt they plastic usually, there is some on ebay pulling silly money

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

Boot is being repaired by cutting the rust out and fabricating a new strip. I’ve been told it’s not too difficult. Same is being done with the bubbling in the door. Rust is cut out and plate is welded in.

I have all the original badges, including the bumper Commodore badges. They’re all plastic apart from the Holden boot lock badge. I’m using my original badges to make molds and going to try get them cast. Fingers crossed they work out and I don’t stuff up my original badges. I’ve seen the commodore bumper badges made out of perspex sell for over $100. I’m hoping that I can get them done for cheaper than that. I’ve told a few manufacturers that I want to have the two of them done for less that $150 a pair. They’ve said that that’s achievable. If so, I’ll get a few extras made and ask around on the forums if anyone else is interested.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

Profile photo of SLE-881
    SLE-881
    Participant

I’ve also spoken to a rubber manufacturer about making the VH SLE bumper rubber molds.

I was told it can be done but there’s a minimum 500 mtr order. That would equate to a cost about $150-$250 per bar. Not sure if that includes the mounting clips though.

It’s a lot of $$$ for me to hand over to get them made so not sure if it’s feasible yet.

Daniel
    Instagram - @SLE881

VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA

• View build HERE
    Supporter

Another way to consider for your badges is get them 3D laser scanned, then 3D printed from that. Jaba got his wheel centre caps 3D printed from a 3D model I did for him, but if you get your badges scanned I can turn it into a model for you to use for the printer.  Just another way to do it mate, just a thought.  Love what your doing btw!!

Profile photo of TUFGMH
    TUFGMH
    Participant
    Supporter

Good to see some progress. When I get back into mine I think the factory Indigo may be replaced for a nicer shade from another marque as close to stock. The factory colour imo, looks good against an 80’s tracksuit, but not todays luxury models.

Factory looks like this when done:

This is probably as close, but far as you can get, keeping it factory lol.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of TUFGMH TUFGMH.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 117 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.