This topic contains 89 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Pic of modified LS sump. having trouble posting pics.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of dave dave.
    Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant
    Profile photo of VBRED
    VBRED
    Participant

Mate

I am watching with interest. I have almost completed a similar transplant into my VK Calais.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Hey everyone,

Long time without a post, but progress has been made.

Decided to go with the vl turbo diff, and came home with a long range fuel tank as well.

The diff was rebuilt with 3.89:1 gears, 28spine normal vl turbo diff. After many hours I got it looking a lot better. I coated it in POR15 great stuff.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Fuel tank was a VN long range tank, had to mod the filler neck, this tank got the same treatment as the old tank came great too, had a bit of trouble with the sender and return as the return had broken in the tank. ill put a photo up later as what I decided to do with the return.

Now for brake update, I looked at all my options willwood etc. as I had a mate who brought them for his XD, and decided for now that I will go with standard vl rears with vt front. My thoughts were that they will be great for the time being with plenty of room to upgrade in the future.

I went with RDA slotted and drilled, with RDA heavy duty pads

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Engine Update…….

Engine is sitting on the test bed with almost all wiring and sensors being complete. I got a fuel reg built into the fuel filter, and very close to being able to fire it up.

Main problem at this stage is the cost of getting VATS etc changed, I was quote $400. Now I am considering buying HPTuner and deleting the VATS, then I will be able to change diff ratios, etc with the added bonus of being able to have a code reader and possible trying to tune down the track.

I would appreciate anyone who has used any program like this to let me know their thoughts…

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Profile photo of VBRED
    VBRED
    Participant

$400 to delete VATS is a rip off. It is usually les than $100.

The VT front brake up grade and VL disc rear is very effective brake package in the first gen commodores.

Profile photo of Red1m8
    Red1m8
    Participant

Engine Update……. Engine is sitting on the test bed with almost all wiring and sensors being complete. I got a fuel reg built into the fuel filter, and very close to being able to fire it up. Main problem at this stage is the cost of getting VATS etc changed, I was quote $400. Now I am considering buying HPTuner and deleting the VATS, then I will be able to change diff ratios, etc with the added bonus of being able to have a code reader and possible trying to tune down the track. I would appreciate anyone who has used any program like this to let me know their thoughts…

If you can’t find someone cheaper to turn VATs off, buying your own tuning tool is worth while if your prepared to put the time in to learn the ropes.

I use EFILive, but HP tuners is popular too, and maybe a bit easier for the novice.

You can download EFIs software and look through all the available tuning tables without buying.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Well its finally ……….ALIVE (video posted)

Decided to buy the HP tuner vcm pro kit. Has been very easy to use so far. Vats has been disabled which was only a 2 second job, but at least it done now.

Now it time to start the conversion, hopefully removing the old blue motor within the nest couple of weeks.

Profile photo of SLE355
    SLE355
    Participant

Nice work mate, keep the updates coming.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Engine  and box has been dummy fitted, Switched to a Vn rack and all just fell into place nicely, switched to vl power steering rack and shaft. Pacemaker have plenty of room around the bay and past the steering, but are slightly touching the body. and will need to be bent down about 2-3cm. But overall very happy with how it sits.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Next on the to do list,

Mal wood Shifter, hydraulic pedals, Ace clutch kit option 3,

PWR radiator to suit the ls1 into vh

If any one has used any of these, I am keen to know what you guys think before I buy them..

Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

nice, inteesting you have heaps of room with the paccies, with mine (VR) its tight pretty much everywere but does clear.  keep the updates coming :)

Profile photo of capssy
    capssy
    Participant

im running a mal woods shifter in mine works great firm shifts with the clutch master have you thought about going to a vl hydralic setup should bolt into a vh mal woods sells a vl master with a vt piston in it all youll need is a vl 6cyl pedal box

Profile photo of dave
    dave
    Participant

I have used a VL master cylinder in my VK with LS engine. Master cylinder bored out to 19mm and 6 cyl VL pedal box. Works very well.

Profile photo of vhman
    vhman
    Participant

Thanks for the Info capssy and dave,

I have been looking into it further looks like Vl pedals $250 and slave $150 that’s about half the price of the mal wood set-up

will call mal wood to find out about the Vt piston upgrade.

What radiator are you guys both running?

Profile photo of capssy
    capssy
    Participant

Thanks for the Info capssy and dave, I have been looking into it further looks like Vl pedals $250 and slave $150 that’s about half the price of the mal wood set-up will call mal wood to find out about the Vt piston upgrade. What radiator are you guys both running?

pwr vl turbo in mine but the vl rad support is differnt for vb to vk you can modify a vh rad support to take a vl rad the vl turbo rad has inlet and out let on the drivers side makes life easy with the ls1

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.