This topic contains 146 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Well the Cam showed up from summit on Thursday, so that night i ordered the Valve Springs from Summit, ended up going with the Comp Cams set due to no one being 100% sure on which PAC ones to use as I kept getting told different part no’s.

I’ve also order the Rollmaster Vernier timing chain set which is coming from Victoria

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Making some progress mate. Will love it when done.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

im pretty happy with progress, think ive done ok so far, wont be doing a engine swap till at least the middle of next year but just want to get as much of the parts together as i can

sent you a PM regarding some lifters ive found too

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

just wondering if someone would happen to have a few photos of a VZ V8 thermo fan, tried googling it but getting mix results, just trying to check the diffrences between VZ V6 and V8, as the fans as very similar, they have the same shrouds, just different size motors

can be off a sedan, wagon or ute excluding Crewman, 1tonner or Adventra, as they run larger fans again

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of thatotherguy94
    thatotherguy94
    Participant

just wondering if someone would happen to have a few photos of a VZ V8 thermo fan, tried googling it but getting mix results, just trying to check the diffrences between VZ V6 and V8, as the fans as very similar, they have the same shrouds, just different size motors can be off a sedan, wagon or ute excluding Crewman, 1tonner or Adventra, as they run larger fans again

I can grab some photos of mine tomorrow. If you want you could come look at the differences yourself? Have both VZ V6 and V8 here..

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

photo will suffice at the moment, as far as i can tell the fan motors are smaller in size, and the small fan on the V6 type has the wiring running the opposite direction around the motor as the V8 setup

reason being is……..i picked up a set tonight off gumtree suppose to be off a VZ SS and i even questioned it while i was there as the fan motors looked like v6 ones ive seen but was told they were v8 ones.

Had a quick look over them, seemed ok, no broken mounting points etc, Grabbed them anyway, when i got home  pulled them out the boot and noticed the edge of them says VZ V6 down the side edge………….

Profile photo of VH308
    VH308
    Participant

Hope this picture helps mate should answer your questions

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Judge1 Frazer
    Judge1 Frazer
    Participant
    Supporter

photo will suffice at the moment, as far as i can tell the fan motors are smaller in size, and the small fan on the V6 type has the wiring running the opposite direction around the motor as the V8 setup reason being is……..i picked up a set tonight off gumtree suppose to be off a VZ SS and i even questioned it while i was there as the fan motors looked like v6 ones ive seen but was told they were v8 ones. Had a quick look over them, seemed ok, no broken mounting points etc, Grabbed them anyway, when i got home pulled them out the boot and noticed the edge of them says VZ V6 down the side edge………….

Gutted ,was it dark if not just use that as an excuse

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Hope this picture helps mate should answer your questions

Not quite, they look like aftermarket ones, trying to work out genuine ones as most second hand units ive found are genuine

According to Holdens part numbers and info on my workshop manual, they said there are 2 version of each for sedan, wagon or ute excluding models i mentioned above, as they run larger fans again, one is an early production version 2004, the other was an late production version 2005-2006

Gutted ,was it dark if not just use that as an excuse

No wasn’t dark, but was leaning up against something, messaged the guy i bought it from within 20minutes of buying it, and asked him if it came out of the SS like it was suppose to as the side of it says V6, and no surprise i have had no replys, which makes me think the knew.

anyway listed it on gumtree now

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Best picture I could get of my fans from the ute, December 05 SS manual. As you can see from the picture its leaking coolant from the pump, what are the best water pumps for these? Best to stick to genuine pumps or are the aftermarket ones alright?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok thanks for that

looks like i have sourced a set out a VZ SS ute (with the larger motors) which i grab next week hopefully

as for Waterpumps i’ve used Genuine or GMB water pumps, but genuine ones are normally double or triple the price and both my VY V6 and VS V8 Have GMB ones currently fitted, I intend fitting a GMB one on the LS1 while its apart, the price i got the otherday was $159 excluding the thermostat from a local supplier, not sure if thats cheap or not but will check prices when im closer to needing it, its on my list of parts to buy

on ebay they do come up alot cheaper just not sure if there proper GMB as there around the $100 mark

thatotherguy94
    Participant

Thanks for that, I did notice the genuine ones were quiet a bit more expensive from the quick look at eBay yesterday.

Profile photo of Renno
    Renno
    Participant

It looks to already be covered, but the main difference between the VZ V6 and the VZ V8 fans is the wiring and the passenger side motor size. V6 fans run a much larger passenger side motor compared to their V8 counterparts and also only run 4 wires, instead of the 5 in the V8 units.

While the wiring can be overcome, the clearance between the front dress of an LS engine and the passenger side fan motor can be a issue.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks for that renno, had a look at the wiring between the V6 and V8 Models, and there pretty much wired the same between the VY and VZ, both models have a the 4 pin plug for the V6’s, and the V8’s both have 5 pin plugs. just looks like the V8’s have and extra wire which is spliced off one of the existing fan wires further back in the loom, so should be pretty simple, but i’ll check the thickness of the wiring size used when i get nearer to fitting them, i kept the full VX SS Sedan Body harness just incase so i can make something work.

picked up a set of V8 VZ SS thermo fans today, also bought a Alloy OTR which i think is a VCM for $200

also after a couple of phone calls, i finally got a quote back from Adam at Precision for the remaining LS1 Parts apart from pushrods, he told me which lifters and gasket sets i need, which were the main bits i wanted to know.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Picked up a few more bits in the last few weeks

out of curiosity are 243 cast heads a worthy upgrade over 241 heads.

My original Plans is to keep the 241 heads, and keep them stock, to keep the overall cost down. Im keeping the compression stock, and running the Standard 2002 LS1 manifold.

I have found a few sets of the 243’s for sale lately, just am unsure if id be wasting time and money on a set? ive read up on alot of US Forums and they all seem to say there better flow etc. also what would i expect to pay for a second hand set?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

they do flown better but marginally. Depends what the cost. With Minimal work you can get the 241’s to flow well.

Get the ls6 manifold. Meant to be heaps better also.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

the engine is out an 2002 VX so from what ive found it should already be the LS6 manifold

might give it a miss for the time being, and if i decide to do something i’ll  just get the 241’s worked on

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Just clean them up for now. Maybe deck them for some more comp etc.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Also what ratio diff gears would you suggest?

i was looking at either at 3.46 or 3.73, I don’t do much highway driving but my VS has 3.9’s and they make the engine rev a bit on the highway, which can irritating after a bit

i have a LSD that I removed from the same VX SS as the LS1, but it’s only 3.07 so want to put something in it, and just get it freshened up.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

What gearbox?

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.