This topic contains 146 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I had Lunati double springs. My comp can came in a kit. From eBay. Might be still around. Just punch in the cam number.

Everything wlse i got from adam at precision.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

i dont suppose you know which seller? ive looked on ebay and the cam by itself is cheaper from the US, but

i’ll try and work out the list of part numbers/brands as best i can, and go for price them up next week at a few places locally, ive already got some ebay prices written down…..gives me a week to work out what i want

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’ll have a suss mate.

Try adam at precision international. He helped me out big time. Top bloke. 0476 813 306

Should also get corresponding arp bolts. Like cam bolts, balancer etc. you will need new head gaskets and head bolts too as stock is TTY

Then gaskets etc for water pump etc

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/382153535864

I just brought springs and cam. Here’s another kit I found. With the AUD it would be pricey tho.

Tell adam daniel with the Vr/lsa gave u his number. He will tell u what to get and what to stay away from

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks, appreciate the help

i know a guy at the local speed shop here in adelaide (Customer from my work) looked after me on prices when i was building the VS engine, so i’ll go ask him next week

is Adam at precision international in VIC at a guess

I have already got a approx. price on a VRS of gaskets and a sump gasket, from my local parts shop while i was in there, they also gave a price on new head bolts $110- (they get these from precision anyway)

already have the ARP balancer bolt on my list, will add cam bolts to it though

same with the waterpump, although i will see when the water pump was changed, or it it has been at all and might put a new on at the same time…..

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Adam is in Vic now. But when I got all my gear he was in SA. Very helpful and the prices were really good.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

So i called, my local speed shop which quoted me $700 for the cam alone, i can get the exact same cam from summit for $553 including freight from ebay

so i gave Adam at precision international call explained that you gave me his number, i grabbed his email address off him so i’ll send him a list of the stuff im looking at.

would you go ARP head bolts or studs, over a set of TTY?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I went arp bolts for some piece of mind. Studs weren’t in the budget.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous Member since: January 1, 1970

Studs are a worthwhile upgrade if the engine will come apart again in the future for a freshen up, that and the hardware is quite small so you get a bit more clamp force from the fine pitch thread at the top of the studs.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

I went arp bolts for some piece of mind. Studs weren’t in the budget.

I’ve emailed Adam a list of pretty much all the parts you suggested.

i have asked for either ARP head bolts or ARP head studs, but when I checked eBay I did notice there was quite a bit of different in price between the two.

Also asked if there is anything else that I should consider or may need that I’ve missed, so see what he says in the next few days.

Ive got ARP head studs on the 355 in the VS, but as mentioned trying to keep to a more sensible budget on this engine, and the main reason for me doing this is to fit the parts myself

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Studs are a worthwhile upgrade if the engine will come apart again in the future for a freshen up, that and the hardware is quite small so you get a bit more clamp force from the fine pitch thread at the top of the studs.

agree. Assuming budget allows.

I priced some studs for the lsa. I nearly fell over 😳

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Still waiting to hear back from Adam,

Cava, ive asked at another place to see which springs will suit.

I have been told that PAC Hot Rod Series Dual Valve Springs (springs only) Part no: PAC-1918, will Suit the Comp Cam 54-456-11 im looking at

have also been told, Comp Cams 26926TS-KIT is suitable which is a complete kit, this is kit listed for the Cam

do you know if the PAC ones look to be the correct parts and specs? or heard any good or bad news on the comp cams ones?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

I’m not 100% sure to be honest. PAC make a good spring. Don’t go beehive. Defiantly go dual.

Mine were the Lunati ones.

Adam can be hard to get a hold of at time. Just keep bugging him.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

definitely going duals,

I’ve left him a few messages but I’ll try him again Monday

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Cava

i kept trying to call Adam, i got a message back after a few days saying that he will quote it up the next day, but im still waiting on it and that was 2 weeks ago….so ive given up trying to get it through him

i have priced up a majority of the parts, both at my local speed shop and local branch at Precision, but ebay is still the better buy on most of it

Ive ordered the Comp cam Trunnion kit, there coming over from the US, paid $192 for it with the freight, which i thought was pretty good

Still Stuck on which PAC Valve spring to use, no one here is SA seems to keep them.

Precision dont have that Comp Cam in stock at all, the guy i was speaking to said they have a Lunati Voodoo Camshaft# 20540711 thats close to the same spec’s for $708, and the Lunati double valve springs to suit for $428

CAM—– https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-20540711

Valve Springs —–https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-73925k1

The Comp cam i can get through Summit Racing for $500-550, and matching comp cam springs for $680 (all up including freight)

Precision also quoted me on:

Cloyes TGK346RCL Single Roller Z Timing Chain (9 Keyway) $250–he said this is alot better than the Rollermaster one?

Melling 10295 Oil Pump $224 (told me this worth doing while its all apart)

HYLIFT JOHNSON High Performance Lifters $440 for the set (any idea if these are any good?)

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Probably going to order some more stuff tonight,

at this stage im going to order the Comp Cams Double Valve springs, looking at either 26926TS-KIT (Tool Steel Retainers) or 26926TI-KIT (Titanium Retainers)

ive found them for $676 with freight, from Vic, cheapest ive found elsewhere is $780-$900

Does it matter which type of retainers i should get? as there the same price

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Not too sure on that one mate. Mine was all a kit and the guy who did the head assembled it all.</p>

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

So i’ve been ordering a few parts as funds permit, ive already got a Comp Cams Trunion Upgrade Kit, Genuine GM Rear Main Cover and Seal, a Crane Cams Valve spring compressor and a few other various tools i think i will need, all from the US as they were a fair bit cheaper.

Also purchased a Powerbond 25% Underdrive Pulley kit, and a set of ARP Head Bolts locally, from Victoria.

ive just ordered the Comp Cams 219/227 Camshaft (part no 54-456-11) from Summit racing, that Cava suggested as it was almost $200 cheaper than Australia, and the 3 places i tried here in Australia couldn’t tell me either which valve springs to use or couldn’t supply the cam i wanted. i’ll work valve springs out soon, once the cam gets here.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of VRSenator065
    VRSenator065
    Participant
    • Adelaide SA
    • VR Senator LSx454 1960 Kombi (project) 1921 Nash Hot Rod (future project)

• View build HERE
    Supporter

+1 for Adam at Precision.  He was here in SA when I was building mine and helped me out big time.  He is a bloody walking encyclopedia on pretty much all the LS engines.  Seriously what doesn’t know about them would fit in a coffee cup.  There is a Precision warehouse/shop in SA at Brompton, and Bill Knight is there and is also a top guy.  If they dont have it in stock they can generally get it over pretty quickly.  They supply a lot of the big engine builders in town.

If Adam is being tardy getting back to you he is probably busy quoting up my engine bits :whistle:

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

+1 for Adam at Precision. He was here in SA when I was building mine and helped me out big time. He is a bloody walking encyclopedia on pretty much all the LS engines. Seriously what doesn’t know about them would fit in a coffee cup. There is a Precision warehouse/shop in SA at Brompton, and Bill Knight is there and is also a top guy. If they dont have it in stock they can generally get it over pretty quickly. They supply a lot of the big engine builders in town. If Adam is being tardy getting back to you he is probably busy quoting up my engine bits

last message i got Adam was a bit over 4 weeks ago, saying that he’d sort it out the following day, and that was after a week earlier of chasing him up……then i kind of gave up

i did contact Precision locally, i bought a few parts for the VS from there at Brompton. Turns out the guy who did quote the LS parts just gave me the pricing off there website, but did tell me, they dont have the Comp Cam in stock in Australia or even on order, he did give me a price on a Lunati voodoo cam very close to the specs, but it was still a bit over $700, outlaw was $700 for the exact Comp Cam

which is one of the reason’s i got it from the US for $515 with freight

there are still a fair bit of parts i need, main things being Valve springs, timing chain, Gaskets, lifters,  i’ll probably change the Water pump and Precision suggested id change the oil pump while its apart, and then the smaller bit and pieces, that are also required.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.