This topic contains 146 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of VRSenator065 VRSenator065 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

just want to know are there any major differences between a VX LS1 and VY LS1 wiring that people might have come across? particularly with the engine harness

• This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    • This topic was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

They should be the same.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

next question

are the fuel return/supply lines that are clipped into the body that run between the fuel tank and engine, the same between VY V6 and VX V8 (size)

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

That I don’t know about that.

It’s only a feed line. Reg and return is in the pump assembly. Lines are run like it’s dead head.

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

ok, might need to look into that

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

thanks for that cava defiantly different,  V6 runs a Return System, separate supply and return lines, and then a Vapor line to the charcoal canister which out near the diff (3 lines in total) fuel reg must be on the rail

LS is a single supply and return line in 1(as you mentioned) and then the Vapor line to the charcoal canister which out near the diff (2 lines in total) and fuel reg in the tank

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

No idea bout v6 but my ute was like you said (vz ss).

What are you scheming.

fyi the vn LS1 loom is different as it’s got FBW.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Profile photo of cava454 cava454.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

been buying a few repairable write off vehicle’s from the auctions over the last few months to try and make some extra cash, and to keep busy

latest one is a 02 VX SS series 2, which has done 163,000k’s engine runs smooth no lifter noise etc,  2 owner vehicle (has some service history)

weighing up a future engine swap on my VY which has done 143,000

just trying to work out what fits and what doesn’t

Profile photo of Stevoss
    Stevoss
    Participant

vy ls1 engine harness is unique as it has the connections to the body loom in different places compared to the vt vx & is different again as the vz runs fbw

Profile photo of sands vs
    sands vs
    Participant

been buying a few repairable write off vehicle’s from the auctions over the last few months to try and make some extra cash, and to keep busy latest one is a 02 VX SS series 2, which has done 163,000k’s engine runs smooth no lifter noise etc, 2 owner vehicle (has some service history) weighing up a future engine swap on my VY which has done 143,000 just trying to work out what fits and what doesn’t

As far as wiring stuff best to speak to ultimate wiring conversions he is ultra smart.

Also do you know what sort of money badly smashed ls1/ls2/ls3 cars are pulling at auction.? Struggling to find info on this

Are you going ls in the vs?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

been buying a few repairable write off vehicle’s from the auctions over the last few months to try and make some extra cash, and to keep busy latest one is a 02 VX SS series 2, which has done 163,000k’s engine runs smooth no lifter noise etc, 2 owner vehicle (has some service history) weighing up a future engine swap on my VY which has done 143,000 just trying to work out what fits and what doesn’t

As far as wiring stuff best to speak to ultimate wiring conversions he is ultra smart. Also do you know what sort of money badly smashed ls1/ls2/ls3 cars are pulling at auction.? Struggling to find info on this Are you going ls in the vs?

worst case id go get one from a wrecker from a VY v8

well first car i bought was 01 WH Ls1 with 141,000k’s i paid about $2,200 for that with  the auction fees and tow, ended up a 1 owner car with books and pretty much full service history, was pretty tempted to keep it, as it ran good but got a good offer for it so i sold it

2nd one was a VU ss, was bidding on alot of other VX-VZ’s but they went too high (over $3000-4000 excluding fees) so put a bid on the VU, but it had no odometer reading, but when i got it home it had done 320,000k’s ended up selling it complete, as i didnt think it would be worth wrecking, it did run quite, no lifter ticking etc

3rd on was this VX SS paid a bit more for it though,

the newer the car they fetch more money, as expected but i have also seen a few, like a wh caprice go for over $3000+ fees with about 300,00k’s on it and every panel was damaged

i wont put an LS1 in the VS, the 355 will be in there for many years yet, gotta get my moneys worth out of that

prefer to stick the LS1 in the VY

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

most of the VE’s that i have bid on got over 3000-4000

probably also depends what state your in, more cars interstate probably cheaper too

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Well as of a few weeks ago the VX shell has gone to scrap, thought id post a few pictures of the car before i pulled the engine out, and ask a few more questions

this is the car when i first got it,the only thing that worried me was the amount of old oil that seemed to be everywhere, it was pretty thick but i degreased it and washed it down with the pressure cleaner, then over the few weeks kept running the engine to see if any fresh oil appeared

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

underneath, looking at the back of the sump, i had given it a quick clean in some spots

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Profile photo of exec24 exec24.
    Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

after the pressure clean and degrease

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

and as it sits now out of the car

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

now my main reason of posting all these pictures it to try and work out where its leaking from, i had thought it was a inlet or head gasket before i cleaned  it up, but after letting it run the only fresh oil leaks i can see the sump and more towards the back of the motor, so im now leaning towards sump gasket or rear main seal.

i also found what looks to be an old oil pressure switch sitting on top of the transmission wiring  when i pulled the transmission out, the plug is slightly different to the one that is in the motor so it might be from something else

i thought that maybe the old one had leak or something at some stage, or whoever swapped it over got oil over the back of the engine and down the bell housing of the transmission, seems to be old oil, and not a fresh leak on the trans and top of the engine

any ideas?

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Anyone?

Profile photo of cava454
    cava454
    Supporter

Pull the flex off and you will be able to see the rear main.

The manifold is all rubber seals. U can pull that off also and double check if any are pinched etc.

The ls is very easy to tear down and inspect. The gasket technology in them I chalk and cheese above the 5oh

Profile photo of exec24
    exec24
    Participant
    Supporter

Ok will do, are the bolts for the intake manifold, sump and timing cover on these engines torque to yield?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 147 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.